Used 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Transmission
By Christine Kobrynich

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The vehicle gave no indication that the transmission was going. Once the vehicle was towed home, rebuilding or replacing the transmission is very expensive. Would not recommend another.

I've put the miles on my 2012 Outlander Sport 4x4!
By Carrie Hoeisng

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 2012 Outlander Sport brand new and now, 3 years later, have 85,000 miles on it. Yes, I love to travel. I loved traveling in my Ford Expedition much better but this little Outlander Sport is much more affordable to drive!
The front seats fit larger folks, no problem. With the front seats fully back the leg room in the back seats is a little tight. And this is a 4 passenger vehicle, not 5, unless it is 3 small kids in the back seat without car seats! The total weight limit of passengers and cargo is 875 lbs so keep that in mind if you are larger.
I have taken this car into the mountains on snow and ice and it did well for a smaller vehicle. It has decent acceleration for a small car. On my longer road trips I get around 30 mpg. Short driving around town knocks that down to about 23. I have never used the paddle shifters, cruise control, remote start, or blue tooth (I have a dumb phone) but can tell you that the seat warmers are a godsend on cold mornings!
At about 60,000 miles the car developed a squeal (at over 25 mph) that changing the s-belt did not cure. The noise has changed to more of a chirpy noise now. My Mitsu mechanic thinks it is the belt pulley. Guess this is a known problem with the 2011 model but they are not covering it under warranty for the 2012. That upsets me a bit as I feel that because I am a high mileage user I am being penalized. By the time this may come out as a recall issue I will already be out of miles on my 100,000 mile drive train warranty.
I ended up trading this car in when it had about 100k miles on it. The intermittent squeal made me lose confidence in taking this vehicle on road trips. As a single middle aged woman I just can’t take a chance on being broke down on the road. The dealership wasn’t able to find the noise and it never was covered under warranty. I have gone back to a Ford product.

Love it!
By meggiemay

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Outlander Sport with 12,000 miles on it a little over a month ago, upgrading from a '06 Cobalt Coupe. All I can say is that I absolutely love this car and have no regrets making the purchase. I read every possible review on the vehicle I could find before making the purchase, so I thought it would be helpful to post my thoughts on the car. Overall I feel like a got a affordable yet reliable SUV with all the features of a more "luxury" brand.

The gas mileage in this vehicle is incredible, I'm averaging 27 mpg with 90% city driving. However, interstate driving seems to drain the tank, any speed over 70 drops the mpg down to about 20. As long as you can keep it at 70 mph or less the vehicle maintains the higher 20's/low 30s MPG range. The model I purchased has the FAST key system which is also very cool and useful!

This vehicle is not made for racing! The reviews are correct that it doesn't have a ton of get up and go. With this being said, I have no trouble matching highway speeds when trying to get onto the highway or passing traffic, which is really all I need it for anyways. The ride is somewhat noisy, I look at it as a sacrifice to make in order to get all the other features I wanted in my price range.

Chick car
By kukusa

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I purchased a fully loaded RVR (as they call it here in Canada) in the summer of 2012.
It was mostly me rather than my wife who was sold on this car's styling.
However, in less than a year, we decided to traded it in for a european station wagon and it turned out to be our best car purchasing decision. Having said that, our biggest complain was actually the ride height. The Mitsubishi is in fact a well put together package at a bargain price. We had drove the new Escape, MX-5 and Forester prior to the Mitsubishi but we didn't like any of them even they are more expensive.
We didn't pick the wrong crossover, we simply picked the wrong car segment.

Big sunroof, audio system, connectivity and overall styling. But then, none of above actually has anything to do with the car itself.

The rear luggage compartment has a weird length. It is about 1-2 inch shorter a standard 28' suitcase, which means you can't use all that space efficiently if you have multiple suitcases. Legroom is good for backseat passengers, but that comes at the expense of a short seating length. The resulting tight support is poor, especially for back seat passengers. The seats gets uncomfortable over longer road trips. At last, the CVT. Mitsubishi, I hope you are reading this. Please make it as good as Nissan or Honda's, or just through in a standard automatic. Also, make a turbo charged Ralliart version so you do have something that's actually sporty.

It looks better than it is
By jacobmunden

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Really, the title says it all. I got my fully optioned AWD outlander sport in 2012 and have put around 10,000 miles on it. As far as reliability, its been great, though you'd expect that from a brand new car. The driveability of the car is far from sporty. While it may be AWD with paddle shifters, it doesnt offer much fun to the driver. The gas mileage on it is absolutely average. I do have to say, it looks pretty good on the outside, especially with the rim package! If you're looking for a car with good gas mileage or a bit more performance, look elsewhere.

I love the exterior, and the stereo.

I would suggest putting a v6 or a turbo 4 in the car, as it really needs more pep. I would make leather seating an option.