Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 450 AMG 4MATIC Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 450 AMG 4MATIC Consumer Reviews

C 450 AMG 4MATIC 3.0L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 7-speed Automatic - (4 reviews )

I miss my S4
By Ryan

2016 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 450 AMG 4MATIC C 450 AMG 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 7A)

This car is buttoned down, solid, all the usual MB adjectives. However, the 7-speed auto transmission is slow to shift in all but S+ mode and the turbo lag is aggravating. Thus, this car feels underpowered vs. its numbers. The Burmeister upgrade isn’t worth it. Doesn’t sound great. Even new MB windshield wipers squeak and sputter on the glass unless it’s pouring. The auto stop/start function is intrusive and sucks vs my wife’s 2016 XC90. Acceleration is good at speed but there’s no feeling of urgency or “fun” because it’s so buttoned down. It’s a fine car all around but I bring these issues up because my 2013 S4 was a great car that performed with some thrill while all of the seemingly minor mechanical functions performed flawlessly. My saving grace? I purchased the car as a CPO with 1000 miles on it. Payed a fair price and got the 100,000 mile warranty.

Amazing car but HORRIBLE rims and tires
By Stephen Gates

I LOVE the way this car drives but the quality of the wheels and tires are something you would expect from a Yugo as I've had to replace 10 rims and 6 tires in 2 years. The car drives like a beast and I love driving it every day. The interior is comportable with high quality materials though their entertainment technology could use some updating. THE WORST thing about this car by far is the quality of the wheels and tires. I have owned this car two two years and it has been in the shop every 6 weeks of less because one of the rims has cracked or one of the tired has gone bad or had a blow out. These rims are $1500 a piece so why in the world they crack from normal driving, not hitting pot holes or doing anything even slightly rough, is absolutely insane. On a regular basis I get in the car in the morning to find the tire pressure light on and have to take it back to the dealership to get it fixed. The only saving grace is that I have the wheel and tire insureance on the car but will probably sell the car when that expires because the cost just won't be worth it. When the rims don't crack then the run flat ties keep getting 'bubbles' which cause them to go flat or even worse blow out the side wall when you are driving. Again for $300 a tires I would think they would last longer than 3 months before having to get replaced again. The worst part is that Mercedes has known about this problem for years since it happens on all their C and E class cars yet they don't fix it. I love the car but this problem is going to drive me to find a different brand when the warranty expires on this one.

Finally...a Mercedes With BMW/Audi Handling
By Michael C

This is my second Mercedes, with the last one being an E550. I've long admired Mercedes for quiet, comfort, and engineering, and in some instances, performance (such as that E550). None, however, have been road handling champs. Even this model's big brother, the C63, is notoriously tail happy. That has now changed. Put this thing into Sport+ mode and it will stick to anything, and in wet or dry conditions. Want the more traditional Mercedes ride? Comfort mode is just the ticket. More than any car I've driven, the difference between these are akin to driving 2 different cars. The interior is simply superb with respect to materials, just as you would expect from Mercedes. There's been a fair amount of criticism of the 'stuck on' nav display, and I confess that I had my doubts about it - prior to actually seeing the car. In practice it is far less obtrusive than it appears in photos, where the typical shot suggests that it might be in the line of sight of an average driver. That is definitely not the case. I am only 5'8", and it causes no problem whatever. In addition, the quality of the display itself is excellent. Would I rather have, say, a pop up type of display? Sure, but in the end it's nothing more than a minor, inconsequential factor. One more small complaint...the transmission can seem to get a bit confused at times. At least one professional review made a point of this. I don't notice the problem until I get into stop and go traffic, when it seems to anticipate a shift into a higher gear just as I'm lifting my foot to brake. I'm fortunate not to drive often in such conditions, but it's worth noting for those who do. And finally, a word about the performance. This car will move fast when asked, pure and simple. Mercedes claims 0-60 times at 4.9 seconds, I believe. That is pessimistic. I've timed it on numerous occasions at 4.5. Perhaps equally importantly, acceleration from 60 to 80 mph seems to take no time at all - and it sounds good getting there. My one comment is that the exhaust note is not as satisfying as that of the older E550. That's not a complaint...nothing sounds like a big V-8. My wife has said that I now have a cheetah rather than a lion. I find the analogy to be apt. In summary, this is simply the best all around car that I've owned in over 40 years of driving. It's the rarest of all cars - a seriously comfortable daily driver that turns into a beast (a well-behaved one) at the touch of a button.

A great car
By Paul Schroeder

This is a great car. We previously had a 2014 C300 4Matic. I would frequently tell my wife that what that car needed was more horsepower and a quicker shifting transmission. This car has both. The transmission shifts in an instant (almost as good as Porsche's PDK) and rev matches downshifts. The handling is sharp and the steering is precise. The ride is good for a car with these sporty characteristics. The seats are comfortable and the interior is very high quality. The nav system is far superior to the one in our prior car (which I rarely used, preferring Google Maps in my phone). I highly recommend this car, especially to those who might be considering an S4 or a BMW M sport line car.