Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 467 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Best car I've owned
By austin89

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best car I have ever owned. It has 167,000 miles and all I've ever had to do beside changing the oil, is put a new battery in it. It has been a good car and I would recommend a jeep to anyone!

I really like the power it has, but still gets decent gas mileage.

The Best Vehicle I'll Ever Own
By aodell

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had the 04 JGC 4.0 Spec. Ed. for 3 yrs and put 75K on it. Recently traded it in with 115,000K on it (b/c of nagging husband) for an 07 JGC and have been sick about it ever since. I have no negative comments about this car and will probably never love a vehicle as much as this one. It had all the bells and whistles, smokey gray in color with dark leather. Loved the overall appearance, design/features, and the way the 4.0 ran. (getting rid of the 4.0 was a big mistake Jeep!) I ran this thing hard and only repair was replace water pump at over 100K. Avg. 18 mpg and the 4WD rocked. Had a tick in engine, was told lifters going bad but never left me sitting along the road and i miss it everyday.

dual heated Leather with separate controls, Radio controls on steering wheel, auto headlights, 4.0 engine, overall appearance, size, and the way it rode, 4WD, safe and reliable

NONE for this vehicle! but wish Jeep would go back to the older styles and engines like this one

A very happy repeat Jeep buyer!
By Mike W.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 7th Jeep vehicle, and 5th Grand Cherokee. The common complaint of the windows not working and/or the interior lights not shutting off is a simple broken ground wire in the driver's door harness. Took me 10 minutes to fix. Overall, I'm very pleased with this Jeep, although some things have not lasted as long as older models I've owned, namely, the hood supports failed at 50k, all 4 shocks leaking at 60k, and rear axle seals at 70k. Other than that, it's been rock-solid reliable. Fuel mileage is outstanding for an engine whose roots date back to the early 1960s. By the way, it's an inline 6, not a V6 as some reviewers have written. I would and do recommend the Grand Cherokee!

Torquey inline 6 gets the job done just fine, and without any modern gimmickry. 4WD system is outstanding (Selec-Trac). Solid axle front/rear suspension is simple and durable. Jeep tended to stick with what works, rather than change for the sake of change or lure in buyers with bells and whistles.

Where are my grease zerks? All the front end parts are sealed! This is a "planned failure" in my opinion, and something recently changed, as even my '01 Cherokee had lubrication points for the front end parts. Suggested improvements is a moot point since the new body style came out the next year

electrical issues
By dansss

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This jeep is great when it comes to driving in the snow. It's not bad around town, it looks great in dark grey. I have had some issues with the electrical system though. The pass. side taillight keeps going out and none of the windows go up or down. I feel they could have done a better job on the electrical system.

The saying "jeep there's only one" - thats for sure I am going to go to Ford.

Electrical system

2004 grand cherokee ltd V8 HO
By nz

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle at 30,000 miles as a one owner lease return. I've absolutely loved this vehicle, the interior is very comfortable, the engine has tremendous power (which I love) and it's been the picture of reliability. I have several colleagues who all have jeeps during this bodystyle and most if not all of them have had only limited even standard maintenance. Several have over 130k with no new engines, transmissions, nothing beyond routine maintenance. The four wheel drive (mine is always on) feels amazing, and during cold weather I pity the other White-knuckled drivers on the road.

The torque of the V8, the plushness of the leather seats, and i also like the bright white dials

no real improvements other than a panoramic sunroof would be nice one day, and i wish jeep had a more 'upscale' vehicle instead of always pitching the outdoorsy angle (not counting the overland - a different bodystyle would be nice)