Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 465 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Unreliable
By George

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 2004 GC Overland in 2006 with 27,000. I have had nothing but issues with this unit. Brake rotors (at 27k), all 4 window motors, seat heaters, ac had to be replaced, seat motors, the roof was rusting, power steering pump.. the list goes on..you name it. I loved the vehicle when I purchased it but let me warn you, these are a maintenance nightmare. Avoid Jeep, I have spent over 5k in repairs over the years (most happened right after the 36k warranty expired.) I gladly traded this nightmare in for a Toyota, my first foreign car. (I previously bought from the big three however cant risk or afford another situation like this.) To hell with Jeep and Chrysler!

I bought into the "new Chrysler" and that the company had changed its ways. For 30 years my folks spoke of Chrysler unreliability and I didn't listen. it cost me.

Let Jeep and Chrysler go out of business.

Loved my Jeep, but
By Tim

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Jeep. Here's why. Previously, I had a '94 Grand Cherokee with the I-6 engine. That lasted us 12 years before I sold it and bought my '04 (in '06), and the last several years that I'd owned the '04, I'd had a 3500 lb. boat to pull. it was a dog. But, my '04, with the V8, was AWESOME for towing. It was so much fun to drive, too. But, in the end, the reliability killed me. I had to replace the power window mechanism on 3 of the 4 doors, the body was starting to rust (at 6 years of age), and I'd had to replace a front wheel bearing. If not for the rust, I probably would have kept it, but today I drove home my new (to me) Honda Pilot. 16 years of owing JGC's, over, sigh.

Powertrain, this Jeep could haul a boat like a champ. I LOVED the power, especially after driving the I6 engine for 12 years before this. So much power from the V8.

Window mechanisms killed me. Body starting to rust at 6 yrs.

Great Truck
By THH963

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee used w/approx 47,000 miles on it & traded it in 3 1/2 later with approx 84,000 miles on it. I put new Firestone Destination tires on it & got it aligned right after purchase. Got new rear brakes @ approx 70,000 miles & replaced front & rear shocks @ 74,500 miles. Aside above I have only done regular service checks. The truck has been great & reliable (drove it from NY to CA) experience. It is much more comfortable than I'd ever expected, even after 14 hours of driving. By now, anyone buying a V8 Jeep should know about it's 15 mpg gas mileage, quit complaining that's not why you buy a Jeep & same with the brakes. Not the best, but they stop you.

Best car I've owned
By austin89

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best car I have ever owned. It has 167,000 miles and all I've ever had to do beside changing the oil, is put a new battery in it. It has been a good car and I would recommend a jeep to anyone!

I really like the power it has, but still gets decent gas mileage.

The Best Vehicle I'll Ever Own
By aodell

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had the 04 JGC 4.0 Spec. Ed. for 3 yrs and put 75K on it. Recently traded it in with 115,000K on it (b/c of nagging husband) for an 07 JGC and have been sick about it ever since. I have no negative comments about this car and will probably never love a vehicle as much as this one. It had all the bells and whistles, smokey gray in color with dark leather. Loved the overall appearance, design/features, and the way the 4.0 ran. (getting rid of the 4.0 was a big mistake Jeep!) I ran this thing hard and only repair was replace water pump at over 100K. Avg. 18 mpg and the 4WD rocked. Had a tick in engine, was told lifters going bad but never left me sitting along the road and i miss it everyday.

dual heated Leather with separate controls, Radio controls on steering wheel, auto headlights, 4.0 engine, overall appearance, size, and the way it rode, 4WD, safe and reliable

NONE for this vehicle! but wish Jeep would go back to the older styles and engines like this one