Used 2011 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Very good family hauler
By lscico

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought to replace Toyota sienna. Owned two of those over 8 years. Never again.

Bought for my wife but I use when taking older kids to games, trips etc.

For long trips it's excellent. Great visibility, very comfortable. A bit of road noise. Good power.

MPG is good, considering. I've characterized it pretty good over several trips. From Boston to central NY got 23-26 mpg @ ~75mph
depending on weather, traffic.
If I drop speed to 65 mph I get 27-28. Driving around NE I keep it at 60 and
Consistently get high 20s.
Around city it's more like 19, if I'm careful and 17-18 if not.

My wife pays no attention to mpg and she averages 19 mpg over 3000 miles long term mostly city, some highway

Comfortable and spacious. Great kid hauler. Wonderful for long trips. 4 th Honda over 20 years. I won't look at anything other than Honda/Acura. Sticker was 37k. Got for 32k in 2010 when things were slow.

No blueTooth for car close to 40k. That's ridiculous. Not quite as bank vault tight as previous hondas but otherwise excellent build. Less road noise please.

great drive, huge space, good deal
By zimboy

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

had several hondas in my time so I expect great quality and got it. the Pilot has great space and features and is a sporty drive with excellent handling. i found out it shares the same platform as the Acura MDX and it's no surprise. looks chunky and big on the outside, incredible space inside and drives like a crossover. some great technology which the dealers never seem to highlight like drive-by-wire accelerator, the 3-4 cyclinder shut-off for economy, tri-zone a/c etc. got the EX at invoice - $1250 after starting out looking at the CRV, the Pilot is so much more for a few extra $'s.

comfort, space, build and driveability

add leather steering wheel and usb/bluetooth to the EX model; got 23 mpg on early road trip and i look for the eco light - heavy-footed drivers might not get that

Hands down best large SUV for the money!
By jrburnett23

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fiances car but I drive it way more than she does and it by the far the best car I've driven.
For as large as the car is, it gets great gas mileage.
We have moved twice since getting this car a year ago and with both back row seats folded down you can fit an enormous amount of stuff in your car.
Even a pretty big dresser!
It rides very smooth and is extremely comfortable to ride in.
The rear-entertainment system is a great feature to have especially if you have kids riding with you from time to time.
The only thing that I would change about this car is I would turn the back seat into two captains chairs and put a big console in between them.
Best car ever!

3rd row seating, Rear-entertainment system, great speaker quality, great fuel economy for the size of the car.

Take out 2nd row seating and add two captains chairs with large console between them. (I think that would add to the comfort, especially on long trips) However, you do lose one passenger seat

2011 Pilot Touring Engine Noise
By dgsheridan

2011 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I do not recommend this vehicle.
Engine has a rattling sound during acceleration, much like a chain dragging the ground.
Dealer initially changed out a part in the exhaust system which didn't fix the problem.
Dealer now says it's a characteristic of all Pilots and is normal.
After 8,800 miles, the noise is getting louder.

Nice stereo system.

Fix the problem causing the engine noise. Very rough ride, more so than my pickup truck or Jeep Wrangler. Also, the NAVI should have lifetime map updates for the price charged for this system.

Honda Heaven ???
By vstanley

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Being a previous Honda consumer I knew the resell value that Honda brings considering all the problems that Toyota was facing we chose the Honda.. I love the boxy body style, the interior design is not too bad once you get used to the layout. I DO NOT like the quality of the interior. Cheap... Styrofoam in the door jam??? What is that about?? Noise?? The leg room is great for tall people. Front and second row. The gas mileage is average for an SUV of similiar size, no surprises there. It was in B&W. Some complained about road noise. Yes, you do hear it. I was told the tires are to blame. Smooth ride though. Seats are firm, not as plush as some I test drove.

Favorite features would be the leg room as well as the boxy exterior. Durable feeling leather seating. Seating capacity is a plus.

The center console is scratched from the cell phone, garage door opener, etc. The steering wheel which is painted to look like brushed nickel is scratched from my ring hitting it, and the sunglass holder is too small for todays styles. The keyhole is another fault. If not careful inserting key into area the size of a dime, you will ruin the housing around it with the key. The interior headliner does not fit snug around the sunroof. You can see all of the mechanics. I would have liked to see this model in the pearl white. The back storage area is slanted due to the 3rd row. Things do shift toward the backdoor. A cargo net should have come standard due to this.