Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 669 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Worst Ford I ever owned
By kinnstreet

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have only 90 on this after buying it fresh off the showroom floor. I can't believe that Ford would allow such a mess. So many things have gone wrong and cost me money on a brand new truck even before 70k miles I can't even begin to list them all, however the other reviews pretty much say it all. My father and I have owned Ford trucks our whole lives.... My next truck will be a RAM, and my son will also be buying either RAM or foreign. Way to go Ford, you broke a family tradition of over 50 years of owning Ford Trucks.

It was decent in snow and rain with good stability, but this truck, is a pos.

So many cheap parts used on this that broke before 70k it would be hard to know where to begin.

best and worst truck i ever owned
By marknkim444

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

04 f150 5.4
i love the looks of this truck. i love the drive and comfort of this truck, unfortunately i will probably never ever
buy a ford again. This truck will cost you a fortune to keep\. first of all everything on this motor will tick or clack at some point. the cam phasers will without a doubt cost you 1800 to fix once or twice. Thank heavens they are 100000 mile spark plugs because they will cost you a min. of 800 to change. Ford will not even think about helping you with all the ticking until your factory or aftermarket warranty runs out.This was my fourth and last ford.

Worst truck I have ever owned
By bestbrewmaster

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I sold to salvage yard for $2000 ait had 92000 miles one
it. By the time I had 55000 miles on it I was on my 3rd Rear Differential.
I have never driven it off road.
and I'm an older gentleman.
I have replaced the 4x4 actuators 5 times.
The truck sounds like a diesel truck and clicks all the time.
Ford Said that was normal
of course the said that when it was in warranty and now they say I needs a new engine 6500.00 because the cam phasers are bad.
Junk Junk Junk

Drive it like you stole it
By natureschild88

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Simply put: best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my '04 FX4 with 50k miles. After owning for 5 years, I sold it with 174k miles on it. Every mile was hard driven. I have a heavy foot, like to
floor it, frequently jump curbs with it, drive it like I stole it. Towed a 19' boat from San Diego to Lake Havasu and back on multiple occasions. Previous owner replaced the transmission: he was towing a 26' cabin cruiser with it - something you need an f250 for. Only thing I did was replace alternator and serp belt. Oil changes every 5-7k miles with MobilOne 5-20 full synthetic. I sold the truck to buy a newer model. At 174k miles, excellent resale value. Felt like crying the next day. Best truck.

Good sound system, gorgeous interior (FX4 black leather), comfortable to drive, auto sliding rear window, cruise, 4 wheel drive on the fly, plenty of torque out of the 5.4 power plant, beefy 18" rims (although tires were expensive! 17" MUCH cheaper), sleek styling, towing package and 4 wheel drive were bullet proof.

If I got another one, I would switch out the 18" wheels for 17"s, simply because how dramatically cheaper tires are on a 17" rim. I ran BFG All Terrains and Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrains. I could never find a set of 4 all terrain tires for under $1000. Set of 4 17" tires would have been in the $600 to $700 range. I would change nothing about this truck.

mixed feelings
By telcom48

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat on black fiday 2005 with 45,000 miles already on it. This is basically my first truck. This is heavily optioned with everything you could get or want. With the automatic on the floor, I thought the interior was just the coolest. Needless to say, the looks and styling got me. I currently have just under 185,000 miles on the truck. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles or more before i get a new truck. Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I have spent an average of $1500 a year maintaining this truck! My recommendation is this... Do NOT buy the first model year of ANY vehicle when there has been a COMPLETE redesign. Wait until the bugs are out.

Looks are good. Ride quality is great. Handling is very good and the truck is very responsive. Interior styling is very good. Payload cannot be overloaded and I have tried. Towing is fine. I drive mostly highway. I do take it off road into the woods when I need to get firewood or just want to have some fun. I use my truck as a truck should be used, but I do it in comfort. despite all the little things that seem to break, i still feel the truck is very tough and durable. it just feels...SOLID!

Really not a whole lot suggestions here....if this were the 3rd model year instead of the first I probably would have none. As it is.....fix the spark plug issue! no one should have to pay hundreds of dollors just to change the plugs. More durable brakes would be nice. I am on my 3rd set already. Best suggestion i can make to Ford is this....think about the average guy when designing the mechanicals. we do not mind doing some of the work ourselves.