Used 2006 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Junk
By Jason

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Ford should be sued over this horrible product. The 5.4 3v is plagued with problems and won't do anything for the loyal customers to fix or replace vehicles.

2006 Expedition
By Mark

2006 Ford Expedition XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought a Mercedes GL thinking it would be a good replacement for the Expedition and are glad we didn't get rid of the Expedition. The chassis are much better sorted out in the Expedition which is suprising since the GL has air springs. Steel springs on the Expo win the ride comparison and the Expo has as good or better noise isolation. The GL is one awesome machine, but the Expo is actually a better full sized SUV.

Rest In Peace, Sandy. We'll miss you.
By Sawdust

2006 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased ours new and owned it for 10 years. I've never loved a vehicle more. It rode smoothly, handled like it was on rails, rain, snow or shine. It had a lot of room to haul stuff on trips to the beach loaded with entire family. Had plenty of room for my 6'7" son. Front seats were very comfortable, middle and rear seats were adequate. I drove it in 2 ft of snow without any issues whatsoever. In fact, this truck was a snowmobile! The long wheelbase makes it incredibly stable, and the AWD feature was just fine for anything I got into. I truly LOVED this truck. Sadly we lost her last weekend. My son was in an accident where he hit a telephone pole and rolled it. He walked away with only bumps and bruises! The fact that it's a large, solidly built truck saved his life. Mechanically, we had zero problems until just over 100K miles. It was time to change the plugs, and like others - we had 3 break off in the head. That cost $$$ to fix. Several of the catalytic converters went bad causing the check engine light to come on. Another expensive fix. We had to replace the coils after 100K miles too. We had the bubbling that others have mentioned in the paint along the leading edge of the hood and the tailgate. Frustrating because we kept it clean and waxed. The grey trim along the bottom of the truck faded but there's a liquid you can apply that makes it look brand new. The truck was gorgeous the whole time we owned it. I was so proud of it. The 5.4 engine had a ton of power and pulled our 21' boat with ease. I absolutely LOVED my Expedition and we are in the market for another one. Needless to say, I highly recommend it.

5.4L has serious issues!
By Sean

2006 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Just look up the slew of problems with the 5.4L in this 2006. Apparently it has a lot of issues that Ford decided to hide from the public and failed to fix. There is a class action lawsuit on the spark plugs. Apparently, there are lots of other issues, including cam phase sensors. Mine started idling rough, wife drove it a couple of miles home, 2 hours later it was at the shop. The shop is about 1 mile away. Got the call today. It needs a new engine!!!

Edit: We are now just waiting until the end of the year so we can donate it to charity. It's not even worth selling. Maybe I will get a small tax benefit out of it?

Love this beast!
By GrungeGirl314

2006 Ford Expedition XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my '06 Expedition for 9 of its 10 living years. I purchased with 32K mi. now at 167k mi. (she runs smooth). Had the typical wear and tear repairs. I also am a very rough driver, and "Big Bertha" has kept up. The only major issue is the back lift gate paint that bubbles (doesn't rust due to it being aluminum). I've had it repainted, and will have to do it again, as I plan on keeping Bertha for at least another 4 years. This is a design flaw, and something any Expedition lover, like myself, needs to deal with to keep it looking fresh. There is plenty of room for the entire family and then some. I will definitely buy another Expedition when Bertha's time is up!