Used 2004 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 305 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Wonderful advance track AWD
By bert

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This car has been great. Super smooth and powerful. I can punch it and it goes. The Ford-built transmission is oh so silky smooth. I had on problem with the starter not retracting after starting, but a new starter (400$) solved the problem. I absolutely love the AdvanceTrack AWD. When it rains in Texas I can drive through puddles and on highway without it slipping. I feel damn safe and use it for road trips. The radio is cheesy, but the interior is super comfy and well laid out. The back seat recline and theres leather all around. For a 2004 it's well appointed. Of course newer cars have more high tech, but I really love driving this rig.

Reliable, Quality SUV
By John

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Expedition in 2012 w/only 50k miles. The AC compressor went out w/in a week which I put on the dealership we purchased it from. We had purchased a warranty for this SUV which covered the repair and pretty much paid for itself immediately. Only other repairs were the ball joints, axle bushing, and alignment at 82k miles (warranty covered). Finally rear bearings, axle seal, front differential, pinion seal, and cam adjuster were replaced at 100k miles (warranty covered). Tires were replaced at 107k miles, but we only got 4k miles on them before loosing the SUV to a deer. We owned the SUV for 4 years and it served us well. I would recommend this SUV. We have purchased a warranty on all of our vehicles which has paid for itself every time. The transmission was was slipping a bit prior to the deer strike, but it was not to the point where I felt it needed to be addressed. Cold weather appeared to bring this issue out.

Horrible air suspension bad gas milage
By Ana

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of this car at the begining it was great of course spends a lot of gas more than other 8 cyl cars I had. My worse nightmare air suspension light turned on about a year ago spend a lot of money to replaced it twice and since then it still has problems with it. I am trying to fix it to sell it and since I still have issues I haven't been able to do so. My suggestion is get rid of it. NOT MY BEST DEAL :(

362,000 miles! NO drive train work, ever!
By Chuck from Daytona Beach

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Wife bought 04 Eddie Bauer rwd with 5.4 engine at 45K miles. It now has 362,000 miles (!) and neither engine nor transmission has ever had any work on it-- AMAZING. At this point, uses about 1 quart of full synthetic oil ever 3,000 miles. Have run full syn oil ALWAYS and premium filters. Had to replace alternator at 250,000 miles and also a/c compressor, dryer, expansion values, did that at 300,000 miles. NO rust or hardware corrosion / rust at all. We drive this vehicle between Missouri and Florida homes, 1,000 miles each way-- so most miles are highway. Cruises at 70-75 and will achieve close to 19 mgp if you take it easy, otherwise 17-16 on highway. Had to replace air suspension at 225K miles and went to strut/shock, cost around $600 to do- not too bad. We have excellent mechanics in both Missouri and Daytona Beach and are careful to maintain vehicle properly. It has been an amazing vehicle, but with this many miles, my wife wants to go to a newer model - can't blame her for that, but the Expedition realistically would run to 500,000 miles with no issues, based upon continuing excellent performance, minimal oil consumption, acceptable highway mileage and continuing great ride quality. The only non-function item is our tire pressure monitoring system, and that is due to battery giving out in the wheel sending unit. Not worth it to us to replace them, but even that is pretty minor cost, we just didn't feel it worth cost to replace them all. Will definitely miss this one when replaced, can't overstate the quality built into Expedition and the incredible, trouble-free use it has given. Hoping next one is as good!!

POST DATE: Finally turned in this Expedition...and got ANOTHER Eddie Bauer Expedition. Cannot overstate the quality built into these vehicles, absolutely the best. Fabulous ride quality, total reliability, nice looking vehicle, reasonable gas mileage (for what it is!). These are really awesome vehicles from the perspective of quality, value, reliability, and ease of service. I don't work for Ford, but have to tell you, they are building superb vehicles.

love it