Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 399 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Too many things gone wrong
By johnny_canuck

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in August 2012 with roughly 70k miles, here's what has gone wrong:

- one tie rod, other is now in need of replacing
- hole in exhaust
- fuel pump
- spark plugs
- front brakes now need replace
- transmission is clunking

In not even two years, ugh. It cannot handle the 3,500 lbs it says it can, bad mileage, just awful.

keeps on ticking...
By rebel16

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

176,000 miles plus..still a daily commuter, just lost the A/C compressor, that is the only major thing since I bought it in april 2005...other wise has preformed flawlessly

I Love my Escapee!
By missg3

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this when married to a paraplegic whose wheelchair fit in the back without taking the seats down and my bicycle fits in the back, with seats folded down.

I have owned this car for just over nine years. driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions, only with recommended maintenance, tires and one battery.
This year the power steering pump was recommended for replacement; after 120,000 miles I think that's pretty good.The only thing that has failed is the sunroof motor.

It is a fun vehicle to own!
Whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, but still rugged.

Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

First Escape, not the last
By bnosay

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need.
Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back.
My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly
320 Miles to a tank. can't complain
188,000+ strong

AWD V6 Engine GAS MILEAGE!

Road noise is quite loud. suspension is a little rough.. you feel everything.

My first Ford and SUV
By dee_hayden

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx
in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

I love the cd/stereo. I'm happy it has AC and heat. I love the fog lights and the space. I love having a four door vehicle that is descent on gas. My first car was a truck and I missed having a truck. This makes me go back to my roots. Its great for trips. I just don't like leather seats unless they heat up. If ya get an Escape, make sure to get a one that is a V6, it'll be very dependable versus a 4cyl. When driving this vehicle, I feel like I'm driving a luxury car like a Honda or Mercedes.

needs Heated leather seats