Used 2013 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spark model:

Nicely done ✅
By Jack

2013 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

We haven’t used our Spark ⚡️ for the normal amount of annual usage but it is always ready to go, it’s a good sturdy car, it has a bit of a bumpy ride. Stiff suspension on a small car. Maybe poor design work

Last GM my family will own.
By Baxter Levasseur

2013 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as an inexpensive runabout for my college aged sister as her Pontiac was on its last leg but this car was the exact definition of a false economy. In the first week the HVAC controls came OUT OF THE DASH. The whole panel not just the knobs. Then the radio screen died a few days later. The dealer apologized that that happened but then said that they weren't sure if the HVAC was covered by the warranty. Following two weeks of my pestering they mended the radio and the HVAC controls. Then the sideview mirrors housing cracked with the first frost we had. The dealer refused to replace it and so it has stayed cracked. Fast forward to the 5,000 mile point and the transmission crapped out. It's a relatively perky 5-speed when it works, the linkages in the tranny shattered. Moving on to 7,000 miles and the engine locked up. Had to have it towed to the dealership for a mending. Two days later its fixed and on the road again. Then around 10,000 miles the linkages snapped in the tranny again and it had to go back. This happened again at 13,000 miles and it has held since, fingers crossed it stays. My reason for writing this review was to express my disgust at the events of this week, I survived the first 13,000 miles and kept the car, but this week has me looking to scrap this lemon. This week the interior front passenger door panel fell off, as did the spoiler, and the antenna, and the gear lever surround, and the e-brake boot. Not to mention the fact that I have rust coming through the MIDDLE of the drivers door. THE MIDDLE, NOT THE EDGES. The gremlins with the HVAC and the Radio have come back too. To add to the injury the plastic coating on the pillars has started to MELT OFF. in addition to the interior's perky coloring fading to a gross pale greyish-yellow. What makes me so disgusted is the fact that the extended warranty from GM just expired about a week before everything fell to bits. This is an absolute bucket of rusty bolts. In conclusion this car that is barely 5 years old has had: 3 tranny rebuilds, an engine lock-up, two HVACs, Two Radios, and lost the majority of it's interior colouration, the majority of the panels have either fallen off or cracked, lost an antenna, and has never achieved better than 33 mpg. This is an absolute disappointment, even for the money. You're better off with a Ford Fiesta if you're feeling patriotic, or a Fiat 500 if you want something fun AND cheap.

Great little car for the money!
By Ed Skonieczny

2013 Chevrolet Spark LS 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 5M)

Others should know that this is a great little car that gets fantastic gas mileage. The front interior is roomy, the back, not so much. Comfort level is average, but for a work commuter vehicle, it hits the mark. Don't know that I'd personally want to drive hours and hours, but it is perfect for the purpose I purchased it. Please note that I paid $1,350 cash for the vehicle, all taxes and fees included, but that I also traded my 2005 Dodge Dakota towards the car. The asking price was $6,888 before negotiating a lower price and then subtracting my trade-in.

Greatly exceeding (low) expectations
By B. Borgerson

2013 Chevrolet Spark 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 4A)

When you only pay $9000 to a dealer for a 3-year old car with only 51,000 miles, you shouldn't expect much. And I didn't. But I've been pleasantly surprised. For one thing, it's the tightest car I've ever owned. When shutting to door, you have to give it a good pull because the air compression resists a full latching. You get the feeling that if you drove it into the lake it would float for a half hour. Yes, that little motor growls when accelerating and you have to be patient on long uphill grades. But it's fun to drive, I'm sitting up higher than in the old Civic, and with new Kumho Ecsta tires the road grip in the rain is sure and solid. Mileage on first road trip (mixed freeway and two-lane) was over 39 mpg; it gets well over 40 between 35 and 55 but drops off over 60. Entertainment system is intuitive, full-featured and good quality for such a cheap car. Yeah, not a great car, but so far an excellent bargain.
Update May 17: Amazing how many comments we get on the color, the rare (2013 only) "Techno Pink." Happy enough with it that I bought a new 2017 Spark for my daughter in March when they had the $2000 incentive going. ($10,500 for an LS automatic.) The 2017 is overall much improved, but the styling is rather bland by comparison. The 2013 is Cheshire Cat; the 2017 is Angry Birds.

Great ride for the money
By Caroline Roberts

2013 Chevrolet Spark 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is perfect for a commuter ride in city or suburban environment. It's not a super powerful acceleration but it gets the job done. It's a fun car to drive, handles nimbly and parks ANYWHERE! If you want or demand a luxury car you will probably not love this, but it's far more packed with extras and comfort than any other small car I've driven (lifelong Toyota owner). * update - 1 year in, still true. This car still impresses, has the best acceleration of any small car I've driven, I'm easily able to maneuver on the highway.