Used 2004 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura RSX

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

worst...transmission....EVER
By B17A1girl

2004 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

As a the Internet Sales Manager and a salesperson at a car dealership, I drive different cars every day. My Acura RSX type-S, which is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars available, has the worst manual transmission I have ever experienced on a new car. Ever since I bought it, 2nd and 3rd gear have been grinding. It's been back to 3 different Acura dealers 4 times for the same problem. Only one of them was willing to fix it and found that the synchros are bad from the factory. They supposedly replaced them but the problem continues. NEVER buying a Honda product again.

Stereo.

New transmission, better fuel economy, more torque, better tires, heated seats, compass and temperature displays

Mostly Impressive
By CharlesC

2004 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It's economical, reliable and sleek. I have not experienced any problems at all. Smooth transmission and clutch, useful hatchback, and good safety features for the price. Very sold feeling. Cloth seats are seriously awful. Try this car on before you buy... especially if you don't get leather.

Instrument panel design and red lighting. Its cool and very cockpit-like. Smooth engine. Good fuel economy (always 32 or so on highway). Exterior design.

The cloth seats are terrible. Definitely the worst seats of all the Honda products I've had. The side bolsters are awkward at shoulder level, the lumbar support is all wrong and they are just really hard. No armrest either. The steering wheel should telescope. I'm 6'0 and never comfortable.

Outstanding Vehicle.
By intensecycleboy

2004 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I don't normally review things unless I can speak from a relatively extensive experience. I've had this car for a little over a year, and I accumulated ~25000km on it. I have very little to complain about. It meets and exceeds every single expectation I had when choosing a new vehicle. Fun, economical (with respect to my 2000 Pathfinder ... everything is economical), and of course stylish.

Build quality (interior and exterior), automatic climate control, 6 disk Bose system, Heated seats and mirrors. Speaking of the seats, they are great! And the general performance.

Bigger/better stereo system (6 disk is great but the sub does very little), lowered/stiffer springs (I did an H&R spring upgrade, and it lowered the vehicle 1.5 inches, and made it stiffer ... also handles much much better.) Better rubber!

Very disappointed...
By prettyboon

2004 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I am very disappointed in this car. I used to be a big Honda fan, but I think i've changed my mind. The transmission sucks, which is a common complaint. Fuel economy is bad. The interior is missing alot of luxuries for the price. Heated leather seats should be standard, along with lighted vanity mirrors. The interior is very plain looking. The stock tires are bordering on dangerous for being on the car. After less than a year of having the car there were already rattles in the dash. I'm trading this car in very soon. This car is no Integra. I don't know what Honda was thinking.

The ergonomics of the stereo make it very easy to work while driving. The leather seats are pretty sporty.

I don't know where to begin. Transmission, heated leather seats, lights on vanity mirrors, design quality...

Sport and Luxury on a budget
By Wes G

2004 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I thought for a long time that this car was an overpriced Civic, but it appears that Acura put the money in all the right places. It takes an econobox, gives it a beautiful interior, and puts in Honda's best features- the high-rev VTEC 4-cylinder and the 6-speed manual. I have 8K miles on mine with no problems other than a loose piece of weatherstrip on the passenger door.The car would handle better with more aggressive rubber, and I find myself needing to get out to stretch my legs on trips longer than about 90 minutes, because I can't quite fully extend my leg while seated no matter how hard I try. I'm 6'4".

Rev-happy engine- nothing quite like the sound of this car between 6k and 8k RPM when VTEC kicks in. 6 speed manual, big trunkspace with rear seats folded down, steering wheel is the perfect size, and interior in general is very nicely designed, good fit and finish. Looks more expensive than it is.

The OE tires are not acceptable for a sporty car, this is the only car in Acura's line that doesn't have HID lights, interior is a bit snug for tall drivers on long drives.Also, the gas tank is too small. Even driving conservatively (25-27mpg), I only get ~275 miles on a tankful.