2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great commuter with a dash

2013 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

TDI SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Manual)

Great commuter with a dash of fun to drive.
By vwtdi55 on

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car made me a believer in diesel. All that torque makes it feel like a much beefier motor than the 140HP rating would have you believe. When I purchased it I was driving nearly 80 mpd 80/20 hwy/city and averaging over 46 (set my cruise on 67 on the highway, but can't keep my foot out of the boost city). My job now has me driving 80-90% city and am averaging about 37-40 or around 700 miles per tank. 27K on it now. I have personally gotten 1039 miles on a tank in this car. I drove it from LaPlace, LA (just N or New Orleans) to the shore of Lake Michigan in Chicago then another 150 or so miles into N. Indiana. Filled up and still had almost a gallon left, 59.2MPG (hand calculated).

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to ride in for extended distances. Have driven strait from Gulfport, MS to Rehoboth Beach, DE (22ish hours) and then back again a week later and been less fatigued than when I did the same trip in an 07 Tahoe LTZ a few years before. P.S. round trip, around 2400 miles was done in 3 tanks and averaged 47.x. Better than my father in law's 13 Prius V that made nearly the same trip. The fact that it is available with a manual transmission is what really sold me on the VW over any other car that could even come close to the MPG and/or size of the Passat. Just makes a boring sedan/family mover all that more fun to drive and more efficient too.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof available with manual transmission! You can buy this in Canada, but not in the U.S.??? Button to turn off the traction control! Turn on the rain sensing auto wipers for all models. It's a check box in the software that is only checked for certain trim levels. Any Passat with the auto dim rear view has the ability to have rain sensing wipers as it's controlled by the same sensor. Just not turned on in the software for lower models.