2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: 2.0t not bad, not great either

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2006 Volkswagen Passat

2.0t not bad, not great either
By mikeb5773 on

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned the car now for about 4 months. It's an ok driving car, I find there is a bit of a turbo lag. I have had the battery go dead after driving home from work one day, and the in dash CD player doesn't work, the screen reads "CDC Hardware Error" This is unbeleivable as I had a aftermarket CD player in my older car and never gave me any problems. I just find there is no WOW factor with this car.

I am nervous after reading all the bad reviews about the fuel pump and other electrical issues. The steering wheel lock module was a recalled
item by VW, so mine was fixed.

Overall I think someday soon I will trade it and get something more age approprite for a 26 year old. Maybe a Mustang.

I like the interior and the lighting. Standard transmission is always fun too. Having the auto windows up and down is another great feature, enjoy the sunroof and heated seats.

Increase the engine displacement, make a more reliable fuel pump, get rid of the turbo. I know this would just be the 3.6 model but maybe the 2.0t was a mistake. Not to mention premium only fuel and certain blend of synthetic only oil. Ohhhh and make the car easier to work on. Some people enjoy doing the work on their own vehichles. Often times people don't trust the mechanic they take their car to. Make it easy to change the routine things like brakes, and oil. I think VW would make more in car sales then service..but then again a $100 oil change at the dealer..no wonder they make it hard to work on.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By skylar613
on 08/02/12 07:51 AM (PDT)

You make it sound like you have to drop the engine to change oil. A VW is a very easy vehicle to work on, in my family we have a 2006 Passat 2.0T and a Jetta TDI. The Passat has a GIAC chip and is a blast to drive, 120K miles and no real problems with it, just little stuff, and I have done all the maintenance on it since 50K when the complementary was up. Anyone complaining about lack of power needs to look into chipping the 2.0, I am currently putting down about 265hp and the thing will fly, and still get 32mpg highway.

By mikeb5773
on 12/21/15 14:27 PM (PST)

Ok, so I have owned the car for almost 5 years now, never did end up buying that mustang I mentioned in my first post. Anyways, I have not had to do a whole lot of maintenance with the car. AC Condenser, 1 wheel bearing, cam follower, thermostat and housing.. That's pretty much it above and beyond normal maintenance items like brakes / oil / filters. It still drives great, performs the exact same way and has not rusted at all. Maybe it's a keeper! lol