2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I don't like VWs.
By VW mistake on 02/09/10 17:55 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Once I get one thing fixed another thing goes wrong. In 6 months I have had to tons of things done. I will not tell anyone else to get any vw. I had an Audi before this Audi is owned by VW what happen VW?

A Great Car for an even better price
By Josh on 02/01/10 21:50 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Wife purchased the Jetta back in 2007. Has accumulated many miles on it since (currently on 45k and running strong). Family trips to the mountains, daily driving, and long work commutes, this car has handled all of it beautifully. Reliability has been amazing and I (the husband) love how it holds 6.5 quarts of oil (though the filter is a pain to change), we can easily run nearly 10k miles on a change with good synthetic oil. Looking at purchasing an Audi now to add to our German family. Highly recommend to anyone: single wanting a sporty car, newly weds looking to expand, or the family looking for a safe and reliable vehicle. This is a truly multi purpose vehicle.

Happy used VW buyer
By Scott on 01/18/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought the 08 SE on E-bay exactly 1 year ago this week and am thrilled with my purchase. The car was auctioned off after a theft recovery and I was very apprehensive about buying a used car on-line, but have had zero regrets since my purchase. The VW handles great and looks brand new with only 12,400 mi. at purchase. I now have 23K miles and have only had oil change and tire rotations performed by the local dealer. Just wish the SE had full power seats for easier adjustment (not just pwr recline). Consistently getting 21- 24mpg mixed city/hwy and best mileage of 27mpg highway only on trip to Austin,TX without AC on cruising at 65.

Ended my winter worries
By Buzz on 01/04/10 12:16 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We exchanged our 2008 Mazda 3i in because as fun as it was to drive, it floundered on even the shallowest hills if there was snow on the road. My spouse was terrified getting to work, so our New Year's resolution was to drive a safer car. We bought this pre-owned Jetta to replace the Mazda. WOW WHAT a Difference! This car is solid and we now realize what "hug the road" means. The stability of this vehicle is complemented this winter by the toasty-warm heated seats which almost makes me reluctant to get out of the car. Volkswagen clearly takes Pride in their Jetta and its design. Inside and out it is a wonderful choice. It could stand more storage space up front for CD's and such.

'08 VW Jetta 2 year Review
By Carlover on 12/29/09 09:50 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

D suspension is ok. Car feels sturdy + looks good. Engine power is ok, n has always turned on. D brakes are good for normal driving. D interior is well appointed and designed but d plastic grill covers on d front doors side speakers rattle with music. D 5 speed manual shifter's clear plastic cap is a little loose and makes noise when handled. D windshield wipers jolt after turning off car + d motor quit working at 21973 miles on d odometer. After proper procedure, reverse gear is a little tricky to engage. In Vigorous driving when shifting from 5th to 3rd gear, 3rd always gets denied at 55mph or above. Tail light burned out at 21352 miles on odometer. Minor electrical glitches from time2time

Enigmatic Performance
By germancaraholic on 12/22/09 08:14 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The car is a rock. Tight bodyworks. Firm but complacent chassis and suspension tuning. It wants to charge forward, not just run. It gobbles up highway asphalt effortlessly. It has made a number of trips between Chicago, IL and Greensboro, NC - it inspires confidence at any speed through any terrain including the Blue Ridge Mountains, while returning gas mileage in the 30MPG range at average speeds of 75-80MPH. Overall, a wonderful drivers experience everytime you spark the 5- cyl to life! The car seems to improve with age. Gas mileage was initially very mediocre (18-25MPG), but has improved dramatically (22-30MPG). Seats were rock hard, but are now comfortable on long trips.

2008 Jetta Odometer off
By Michael-Jetta on 12/21/09 13:02 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had an odometer problem with my 2008 jetta, it was off 4.8 miles for every 29.3 miles driven. They fixed it at 20,434 miles, total extra miles on car - 3,347.5. They tell me they reset the speedometer to spec's. This fixed the problem, but VW refuses to adjust my lease for the miles or refund the money for the miles. They say the fix couldn't have fixed the odometer, Why did they make the adjustment if they knew it wouldn't fix it???. After complaining to BBB of Ohio, Volkswagen and the dealer settled for the cost to buy extra miles on my lease. You would be wise to verify your odometers miles to another car or two to see if its accurate. I've seen other similiar complaints on the Web.

Too many Issues, LEMON warning
By drew_106 on 12/15/09 14:25 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Where to start? The first few weeks into the lease were great. Then the car started having a number of engine problems. The engine started hiccuping in the Spring of 2009. A week later the car was in the shop and the fuel pump had failed and needed to be replace at about 12,000 miles. More recently this past summer at 18,000 miles some connectors in the fuse box shorted out. This took 2 days in the shop for them to figure this out. Now I'm having different warning lights come on and off. The fuel cap warning light was of, then off. Today the tire pressure light is on, though the tires all look to be inflated properly. What next?!?

Worst Car I've ever owned
By Ashley2008 on 12/14/09 13:18 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This has to be the worst car I've ever owned, it makes my 1999 Dodge Neon look good. I now have 14k on this car, at 4k I started having problems with the DSG Transmission banging into gears and slipping. After several repair attempts including replace a $3k Mechatronics unit, the car is back in the shop! This time been there 4 days and they don't know whats wrong with it but it still keep banging into gears progressively getting worse. Trim pieces in the interior randomly fall off and heater mirror cracked.

BEST CAR I"VE DRIVEN IN MY LIFE
By Wolf12 on 09/26/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The car's interior design is one of the best when it comes to a sedan of its class. The vehicle is very well detailed, the mileage per gallon is rock solid 25 in city and 30 in highway. Comfort on top of comfort, beautiful leather seats, and all except for the driver seat fold down to give an spacious way to carry your personal stuff. The most beautiful in handling and the acceleration is awesome when in an emergency.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.