Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A step-up from my American cars
By Brandon

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first german-engineered car and can easily say that it is far above any other American car that I've owned in terms of build quality and standard features as well as safety features. To be fair, the engine seemed under-whelming compared to say even an old Cavalier Z24 that I used to own. With that said however, acceleration at higher speeds is greater but just wish it had more "punch" from a stop. The interior is well-built and controls intuitive. I read about many complaints regarding the exterior looking too "corolla-ish" in the rear and too "audi-ish" in the front. I actually love the look of the vehicle to the chrome grill to the softer body design.

Heated mirrors - great for our harsh NE Ohio winters Trunk space - You simply can't find this much space on another compact car Build quality and attention to detail - Small things like folding seats, no intruding trunk hinges Traction control standard

Engine design could be improved for more pep Comfort is a bit lacking - Do not like seats curving around the edges and center console is obtrusive Fuel economy - Fuel economy is mediocre for a vehicle manufactured in 2008 Reliability should be top-notch for a vehicle in this price range

Still unsure
By Love it Hate it, too

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The guy who said "love it, hate it" had it right. Love the car, but at 35,000 miles, I've had a LOT of costly warranty work on the transmission and issues with oil consumption that the service writers refuse to talk to me about. Its suspicious but apparently a common problem- Google it. The trans is going to go out again and already has signs of wear a tear.

The interior, sleek style, awesome ride when the trans isn't jerking me around.

New engine and trans design would be a great start. Seems to be a common issue. A few class action lawsuits are already underway for many of the same things I am experiencing.

Love it, hate it
By vincef329

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

2 years into my 3 year lease on my salsa red SE Jetta/auto now, 26,000 mi. I still love driving the Jetta and enjoy everyday commuting. The interior has worn well but mechanically and the paint have suffered. At one year old the car had a PCU failure and spent a week in the shop, VW reimbursed my partially for the rental. The red paint is very poor quality, chips off constantly. Finding the power through the electronic pedal and the mush transmission can be a challenge. If I had bought this car I would be very mad about the paint. I probably will not buy another VW. With so many nagging common issues, I'm disappointed that VW can't get it together and fix them and really have a great car.

Style and interior fit/finish sporty handling heated seats stereo trunk space

Quality engine parts (like the pcu) Paint! Body roll Transmission

I <3 my Jetta
By jsqaured

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this car used in April 2009 with 14k mileage. I've put about 11k on it since then and LOVE the car! I test drove so many cars from Civic, Corolla, Prius and Hyundai. I didn't want a jetta due to reliability concerns - but I decided to test drive one for fun and FUN it was!! This car is solid, I feel very safe and for the same price point as the others, it wasn't a comparison. The other cars felt like cheap plastic compared to this! I have no complaints about it after over a year. Well, gas mileage, but I knew that would be lower and I only put 10k miles/yr tops on my car anyway, so it wasn't a big issue for me.

sunroof, 5 disc changer, heated seats, stability, just about everything!

sunglasses case too small, mileage could be better.

First VW
By First VW

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Love It! Bought it for my wife, but haven't stopped driving it at every opportunity. Fun to drive, fast, comfortable. Only problem is the DSG transmission. Wish I bought the manual. The DSG shifts smoothly but is awkward at a start, and is difficult to start on a hill. It's kind of like driving a manual shift without the benefit of controlling it with a clutch. The dealership says it's received many complaints but "that's the way it's supposed to work". BUT they extended the DSG warranty ;) Bottom line is that there's a problem, they don't know how to fix it, so they extend the warranty to calm the masses. Poor solution. BUT Would definitely buy it again. Most fun car to drive ever!

Turbo! Heated seats! Fit and finish are excellent. Feels like a much more expensive car. Nothing like it for the money.

Dump the DSG tranny. It's the only downside. Power seat on the passenger side would be good. Lose the seat adjustment "knob".