Used 2012 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Yaris

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Yaris Repurchased
By Debra

2012 Toyota Yaris L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Yaris L hatchback. Stylish exterior look with comfortable bucket seats. Traded in my 2007 base model for this 2012 L for the multiple air bags, reliability and it's great for my budget. This is my third Toyota. They haven't failed me yet.

Avoid stick shift with size 12 shoes
By 5cylvw

2012 Toyota Yaris L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you rest your shoe on the L model's dead pedal, it constantly gets caught under the clutch pedal, and you end up having to hover that foot above the clutch when you anticipate a gear change soon.
The gear shift feels very crude and notchy.
Stick shift does yield more zoom-zoom over automatic, but the LE model with automatic shift and more creature comforts - such as power windows - will make your drive more enjoyable.
I had an LE model in 2006 which easily survived being T-boned in the driver door by pickup truck, and I traded it for a VW Rabbit.
My 2012 L stick easily yielded 32 mpg in short city drives, but after 5 months I'm dumping it for a great Mazda3 iTouring hatch.

Small size; cute, modest styling; tight turn circle; good cargo capacity with rear seats down; good seats. The Yaris is a great driver, primarily with auto shift and power windows, etc. The L is just too "basic" for real enjoyment, and the price saving over an auto shift model is not worth it, in the long run.

The manual shift in the L model is no joy because the footwell is too restricted, lacking room between the dead pedal and the clutch. When shifting, the gear stick action feels very crude. The footwell is the same size as in the automatic shift model, and is just too much a pain in the stick model.

I do not recommend the Yaris. Buy a 9th gen. Corolla instead.
By caro2012

2012 Toyota Yaris SE 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2012 Yaris almost one year and I regret having bought it.
The only good thing I can say about it is the gas mileage (I average 33.5).

The construction is shoddy.
The front bumper is barely held onto the frame.
There is no foam under the rear bumper.
The front wheel wells are made of the thinnest, cheapest plastic I've ever seen used in this manner on a car.
The car lacks sound dampening and the noise intrusion into the cabin at highway speeds is deafening.
Not even the cheap stock stereo can drown out the noise.
The steering wheel does not telescope, leading to a very uncomfortable seating position.

Buy a 9th generation Corolla instead.
Much better quality. Same MPG.

MPG. That's its only redeeming quality.

Better quality construction Cabin sound dampening Telescoping steering wheel

My 1st Toyota
By rjyaris

2012 Toyota Yaris LE 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 12 years i have left ford and selected a Toyota Yaris. I test drove the fiesta and loved it but after researching and hearing possible problems with their new transmissions and the price of the car i decided to look at the kia soul which i really liked, but then i researched them and found it was a nightmare with customer neglect and warranty drama. So i researched the Yaris and found mostly positive information. I read and watched every review on youtube so i decided to test drive it and fell in love. Yes it's not a ford mustang but the engine in that car speeds like you cant imagine on the freeway. The ride is super soft and coming from ford thats a gift from god. so i bought it!

Not everyone is like me but if you can adjust to a smaller car as i did you will love it. The gas mileage destroys my 2003 ford focus. I find it very comfortable, it has adjustable seats and tilt wheel, no telescopic. I had to lower the heat as it works incredible. The paint job metallic gray is beautiful, the view out is immense as it feels like a much larger car. The single wiper works incredible and is intermittent. The lights are bright. The blue tooth feels like the person is sitting next to you. The radio is awesome, clear and loud. I sat 3 others in the car and they were all over 6 feet and 200lbs, no complaints. The back seat had decent room for them.

I would like to see navigation, tilt wheel and a center console. In my decision making i was willing to do with out these for good gas mileage and good reliability. It's a subcompact car, it's not meant to be a Lexus but in my taste its great value, good comfort and just a well done vehicle. The plastics are not as luxury would find in a lexus but it more than meets my needs in looks and appearance. I love it!

This car is awsome!
By lens27

2012 Toyota Yaris LE 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have this car now for about a few weeks and love every ride out of it. Very impressed with its slick performance and styling. I did not expect much cargo space for it's segment, but can easily fit my weekly grocery and then some. Lots of leg room and convenient interior design. Reduced my stops at the gas station. It could use a center storage and an arm rest.

Bluetooth, sporty shift, beautiful looks

Center storage, arm rest