2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Overall Love it!
By ltucker on 12/21/09 14:54 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is great if you are looking for minimal cargo capacity and good gas mileage. Great to get around town, but not off road. It is easy to handle, but is not suited to carry more than 4 people comfortably and have ample storage. If you plan on driving this in snow, this is not the car for you. The 2wd is useless. My wheels spun. So if you get snow on a regular basis, I would recommend the 4wd.

Solid and fun SUV
By NLEditor on 12/07/09 17:13 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from G35 to Highlander Sport 4WD - big change, but surprisingly a nice transition. More pickup and power than I thought it would have, nice ride (although coming from a sport car, a little too soft, especially steering feel). My kids like the 2nd row capt. chairs, and I'm glad the 3rd row folds flat - hauled home a 46" LCD TV, no problem!

Tire change made a big difference
By winterhound on 11/27/09 21:52 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Too early to say much, just got the car. However, after reading very bad reviews on the OEM tires (Bridgestone Dueler 400 H/L, I ended trading them in on a new set of Brigestgone Dueler Allenza's 255/55/19's (one size larger). WOW! Cleaned up the mushiness; they feel way more tuned to the suspension (at 42 lbs); and the more stable stance at high speed (80 MPH) is a drastic improvement. The Tire Rack rating is way better, and I need this car to perform in snow. The increased diameter is minimal (maybe .4 inch) while the extra width is part of the much improved feel (perhaps 1.5 inches).

Great Ride!
By TimBuk2 on 11/25/09 05:48 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying my wife a minivan, I needed something bigger than my BMW 335xi for me and the kids. While it's not as fun to drive as a BMW, this is a great vehicle. Surprised at how BIG the interior is of the Highlander. Seats are super comfortable and perfect for fitting car seats in the 2nd row. Does not drive like a truck (like the Honda pilot does). Love the looks and styling and I expect to keep this vehicle for a very long time. I opted for the sport and leather package...the cloth seemed cheap feeling. Grey is a great color - hides the dirt very well.

First Impressions
By George on 10/31/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Pros: Very sharp looking SUV. Nice lines. Paint and trim seem to be above par. Quiet when driving and it has a great sound system with the JBL 6 Disc. Very smooth shifting vehicle with plenty of power from the V6. Cons: Front seats are not designed for men. I'm 6'1" tall and find it hard to get into a comfortable driving position. Seats are also way too hard and do not offer enough leg support. The Sport model rides rough on uneven surfaces. However, it is very smooth on even highway roads. Currently experiencing an odd shutter at light throttle use. This is a random event and may go away with time once the computer learns our driving habits. Overall: Nice vehicle for my wife.

Comfy family vehicle for all events
By Jeffrey on 10/16/09 11:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought for more than 7 months and like it more every day. Blind spots was a concern at first but big rear mirrors ease the worry. A great highway cruiser as my main purpose to buy. Drive is smooth but not sporty even good power V6. Leans quite a bit in sharp turn but secure with light steering, low road feel and average steering response. The keyless start and power hatch are great plus for every day use. Most materials used are good quality except some textured hard plastic. Better than FORD and GM comparable models. Truck space is tight when 3rd row seat is up, which is not split and has tight leg room. Center on the 2nd row is too small but outside seats are comfy.

Fun to drive
By Yiwen on 10/09/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's an amazing upgrade from my 98 Madza MPV all-sport. Drives like a sedan. Sometimes I felt it's even quieter than my wife's 04 Camry. The engine is powerful and quiet even when driving up the Cottonwood canyon mountain resorts. Well designed interior controls, which are large and easy to reach. Storage is plenty with many cup-holders. I consistently get 21 mpg (city/highway combined) for my commute to work. Trip to California in July on highway and gets consistent 24 mpg. View isn't as good as my MPV (maybe I'm still trying to get used to it).

Wonderful Car
By Krishna on 10/06/09 13:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very happy about my decision. I was looking for a SUV to replace my VW Passat which is economical and could satisfy my SUV Dreams. I'm happy that I purchased this base model highlander. For my regular commute it give 24 in average and for longer trips it give 26.5mpg. Handling is very good and very very comfortable. Dealer converted the seats to leather for $1099 with heated seats (front and second row). I will recommend this car to anyone without any regret.

Highlander 4cyl with 3rd seat
By luvthetoyotas on 10/05/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the car this weekend. Hard to find a 4cyl with the third seat. Drove ~300 miles to pick it up, so I got a little highway time and have driven it around town some. I drove both the 6cyl and 4cyl models and really like the balance of the 4 with the 6 speed transmission. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but the performance is very good. If you want a sports car, buy one. I got ~26mpg on a brand new motor driving 75 mph. Mileage will only improve once it's broken in. So far - love the Highlander. Rated reliability high from my experience with my other Toyota products.

BMW traded for Family Car
By Canuck on 10/01/09 19:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, traded in a 4 year old BMW 3 series for the highlander and I love it. More headroom, baby can actually fall asleep in the plush ride, and change her diaper in the car. Third row is used when grandparents are riding with us. But that means cargo capacity is down and the stroller can't fit with the third row up. Need to get smaller stroller or kick a grandparent out. Wanted a smooth floating boat with lots of room and that is the Highlander. It's fast too, but takes longer to rev up.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$104 per month*