Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Dissapointed
By Randy

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I left GM for Toyota with the expectation of a better vehicle. This hasn't been the case. My Highlander has made eight trips to the dealer to address problems. The problems: defective gas tank, of all things, which had to be replaced; incorrect fuel gauge reading (on its second sending unit and still not fixed); dis- colored dash panels; on its second XM receiver and all within 5,000 miles. The Dealer has been very helpful, but perplexed at times at the Highlander's oddities. Now, I wonder if the unintended acceleration bug will be next! I did not have as many problems with the Buick I traded in on this Highlander. What an unexpected disappointment this Highlander has been for what it cost.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, smooth transmission and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Outside temperature guage, radio controls need to be moved closer to the driver and more leg room in the front.

First Toyota - Hoping for Better
By Jamesicu

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first time owning a Toyota and is going to be my last. I have problems with the idle on the car and they have not repaired (I have video of this issue). I have a problem with mice entering the vents and entering the car because the vents do not close when you shut the car off (Poor Design). The tires are very poor in the snow and only last about 25,000 miles. I put on Michelin tires and what a difference. The car engine has plenty of power and is not to bad on using fuel for a V6. Overall, I will not purchase this car again or another Toyota.

Favorite Features

Engine Power, Towing Capacity

Suggested Improvements

Close vents when the car is off, Fix engine issue

after 1 year, just ok
By gene

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

mileage as expected. front pass seat needs same controls as driver. seat heat control very cumbersome. Auto climate control generally not comfortable when sunshine, better at night. headliner rattles (!!). Biggest concern that I don't believe the Dealer has dealt properly with is our engine has what sounds like dry piston "clatter" prior to it warming up (Summer and Winter). I have NEVER owned a vehicle with such a sound no matter how cold the engine, yet I have had the dealer check it twice but I am guessing they never took it off the lot. We have been Toyota owners for 24 years. This is the first one we have been dissapointed with.

Favorite Features

Generally quiet and somewhat comfortable except for headliner rattle which the dealer can hopefully fix. Roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter engine(Engine clatters), Simpler controls(heated seat controls are poor design), Better finish quality (rattling headliner - very disappointing), Front seat passenger should get same controls as driver, stop with the weird visor mirrors, better climate control sensor -more even heating/cooling

Bad Tires
By Northappy

2009 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good SUV, weird size tires on Sport & Limited. Goes ok in snow but won't stop. Due to odd tire size there are only 2 tires available. Tires are very expensive and need replaced at 20K.

Favorite Features

Big 2nd row leg room, back up camera is cool.

Suggested Improvements

Remove center console as it is useless. Replace tires with a good rated tire and in a common size. Replace dumb door handles with something that takes less leg room. Replace 'snow' switch with 4WD lock switch.

Most Practical SUV You Can Cuy.
By Sixbee

2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota has proven that they put a lot of thought into their design with every cubic inch of the inside being carefully thought out. Seat comfort is great, leg room is never an issue, even for a 5'8" adult in the 3rd row. 2nd row recline is much easier to operate than the competitors. The car handles exceptionally, even with 19" wheels in 6 to 8" of snow, with the snow button on it is hard to make the car lose control. Hands free controls and individual climate controls are a plus. I am convinced for the money and the quality of this vehicle, you won't find a better car. From it's lower priced "rivals" from Kia & GM to overpriced imports such as Acura and Lexus, the Highlander is IT!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, individual climate control, added traction control for snow and other cold weather items, tow capacity, diverse seating options, and great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

20" WHEELS!!! Very limited on 19" tire replacements. Turn signals built in the mirrors would be an added safety benefit. Would like to see slide down back glass in all Toyota SUVs. Better blutooth link system that works more like a blutooth earpiece.