Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

The best bang for your buck for a 4 banger mid size suv
By ewayjeng

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This car is great, bought used with less than 60K, but in near mint condition at purchase, engine is strong, easy to move seats down for storage and has a lot of nice creature comfort features. Its got decent power for a 4 cylinder and since I'm not towing, and this is primarily a people mover, the gas savings are perfect. Drives like a car, would recommend to anyone looking for a mid size suv that is reliable, fun to drive and very functional.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, 3rd row seats, rear a/c, 4 cylinder 6 speed engine, interior design (multipe cup holders, center storage console, seating configurations)

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if these came with running boards standard to make it easier to get in for kids, and elderly people.

Great SUV!
By Tony the tester

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We love our Highlander I4 with convenience package. This car has all the features I need and nothing you don't need-perfect. We love the space and comfort, ride quality and general feel of this car. The assembly quality is first rate. It had defective water pump after one year but it is one of the first ones that they put together. In any case, it didn't stop in the middle of the road. The 4 cyl engine is great. It is quiet, and powerful enough to pull full load on our 1000 mile trip. It lacks a passing power a bit but it is a great cruiser and plenty of pep around town. Efficiency was as low as 19 mpg and as high as 29 mpg. Road feel is good but 6 spd transmission is too shift-happy but smooth.

Favorite Features

We love the interior design, comfort and space. 17 inch wheels definitely make ride better then available 19'', which we didn't take. This car has set of 5 tires, so if the tire rated for 50K miles, using 5 of them you can go 60K. Heated windshield for the wipers is a great add-on.

Suggested Improvements

I could hardly think of one area where this car is weak, besides, may be, the transmission, which downshifts at slightest upgrade. I would love it to give me some time to accelerate to the desired speed using same gear. Also, the darkest upholstery could be darker but Toyota fixed it for 2011.

4 cylinder worth consideration
By Anil

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a pleasant experience owning 4 cylinder base Highlander 2009 model. The city mileage is 24 and highway 28 - could not have asked for better from mid-size SUV. I cruised at 70 while traveling from Boston to NY and never felt the vehicle does not have enough power. Dealers should inform the customers hybrid is not the only way to get decent fuel economy. Also, driving in snow was not bad either.

Favorite Features

Strong exterior and pleasant interior looks; decent power; excellent fuel economy; good cargo space; quiet highway drive

Suggested Improvements

steering wheel and keys look less expensive feel

Wonderful Car
By Krishna

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very happy about my decision. I was looking for a SUV to replace my VW Passat which is economical and could satisfy my SUV Dreams. I'm happy that I purchased this base model highlander. For my regular commute it give 24 in average and for longer trips it give 26.5mpg. Handling is very good and very very comfortable. Dealer converted the seats to leather for $1099 with heated seats (front and second row). I will recommend this car to anyone without any regret.

Favorite Features

Safety and fuel efficient 4 cylinder. Second Row air conditioner vents.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk door should be powered by default. It is a little bit heavy to close. Antenna should be internal. The second row center seat should be wider in case of two row models. Exterior looks could be improved little bit.

Highlander 4cyl with 3rd seat
By luvthetoyotas

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the car this weekend. Hard to find a 4cyl with the third seat. Drove ~300 miles to pick it up, so I got a little highway time and have driven it around town some. I drove both the 6cyl and 4cyl models and really like the balance of the 4 with the 6 speed transmission. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but the performance is very good. If you want a sports car, buy one. I got ~26mpg on a brand new motor driving 75 mph. Mileage will only improve once it's broken in. So far - love the Highlander. Rated reliability high from my experience with my other Toyota products.

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior, gas mileage. Love the little LED that just barely illuminates the console area. Second row seats are fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a trip computer and outside temperature on the base model - even my $16K Scion has that...