2009 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
The best bang for your buck for a 4 banger mid size suv
By ewayjeng on 11/21/13 16:28 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This car is great, bought used with less than 60K, but in near mint condition at purchase, engine is strong, easy to move seats down for storage and has a lot of nice creature comfort features. Its got decent power for a 4 cylinder and since I'm not towing, and this is primarily a people mover, the gas savings are perfect. Drives like a car, would recommend to anyone looking for a mid size suv that is reliable, fun to drive and very functional.

Great SUV!
By Tony the tester on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

We love our Highlander I4 with convenience package. This car has all the features I need and nothing you don't need-perfect. We love the space and comfort, ride quality and general feel of this car. The assembly quality is first rate. It had defective water pump after one year but it is one of the first ones that they put together. In any case, it didn't stop in the middle of the road. The 4 cyl engine is great. It is quiet, and powerful enough to pull full load on our 1000 mile trip. It lacks a passing power a bit but it is a great cruiser and plenty of pep around town. Efficiency was as low as 19 mpg and as high as 29 mpg. Road feel is good but 6 spd transmission is too shift-happy but smooth.

4 cylinder worth consideration
By Anil on 04/12/10 08:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a pleasant experience owning 4 cylinder base Highlander 2009 model. The city mileage is 24 and highway 28 - could not have asked for better from mid-size SUV. I cruised at 70 while traveling from Boston to NY and never felt the vehicle does not have enough power. Dealers should inform the customers hybrid is not the only way to get decent fuel economy. Also, driving in snow was not bad either.

Wonderful Car
By Krishna on 10/06/09 13:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very happy about my decision. I was looking for a SUV to replace my VW Passat which is economical and could satisfy my SUV Dreams. I'm happy that I purchased this base model highlander. For my regular commute it give 24 in average and for longer trips it give 26.5mpg. Handling is very good and very very comfortable. Dealer converted the seats to leather for $1099 with heated seats (front and second row). I will recommend this car to anyone without any regret.

Highlander 4cyl with 3rd seat
By luvthetoyotas on 10/05/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the car this weekend. Hard to find a 4cyl with the third seat. Drove ~300 miles to pick it up, so I got a little highway time and have driven it around town some. I drove both the 6cyl and 4cyl models and really like the balance of the 4 with the 6 speed transmission. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but the performance is very good. If you want a sports car, buy one. I got ~26mpg on a brand new motor driving 75 mph. Mileage will only improve once it's broken in. So far - love the Highlander. Rated reliability high from my experience with my other Toyota products.

Great Product
By jimmy on 08/20/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car. It is like a fine swiss watch. I am averaging 26 MPG with the 4 cylinder. My car has the trailer towing package. This made it a much stronger vehicle. I had to order the vehicle to get the towing package, but it was worth the wait.

Toyota Base 10
By jerry on 05/26/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

The newly built 4 cylinder engine is best in its class; it's like having your own V6 but gas saving is excellently configured. The turns and handling behaves like a Camry and the comfort is leveled like a Lexus RX, I honestly agree, this Highlander is the best of its class.

Nice and comfortable SUV
By HighInSeattle on 05/16/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 4cyl model instead of V6 since all V6 models in Seattle area come with AWD. I didn't want to pay extra for AWD and the fuel economy of 4cyl is better than V6. I was a bit apprehensive that the 4cyl may lack the punch, but I was so wrong. The 4cyl engine packs a lot of punch and is very smooth - except when accelerating or going uphill when it does growl a bit. I get 22 MPG in normal city driving and there are a lot of hills in my neighborhood. The interior is very comfortable and has ample space for 4 persons. This SUV drives and handles pretty well and feels very safe and solid. Reliability is 5 for now - I will provide an update after 6 months.

I love this SUV
By VANI on 04/14/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This SUV is smooth riding, very convenient and it just looks superb on its class. I love driving this and I can't wait to see the next model of the highlander. I will still be buying this kind of SUV after 5 years. Although I have regrets in buying the 4 cylinder because I think if I got the 3.5L 6 cyl. I will be more satisfied.

Best new vehicle purchase I've ever made
By David on 03/21/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Compared to my Jeep Liberty (which this replaced), the Highlander is amazing. It has just the right amount of space, gas mileage is impressive, and don't let anyone tell you that the 4-cylinder engine isn't powerful enough; it has more than enough "get up and go". Rides very smooth and quiet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Highlander in VA is:

$118 per month*