Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Time Will Tell
By Walter

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 crew cab. I no longer need the truck to go into the woods. Several friends have Subarus. They always talk highly of them. I traded my truck in and got this vehicle. At first I wasn't pleased. It is a vehicle that takes time to get used to. I just went to NYC with my vehicle. I got 33 mpg, 27 mpg in the city. If you obey the speed limits you will get very good mileage. If you need to "punch it" when driving, it is very slow to respond. The back seat isn't made for adults. I do like the dash board display. If you need to replace 1 tire, then you need to replace all 4 of them because of the symmetrical awd. Thats something they don't tell you when you buy the car.

The gas mileage is excellent for a AWD. Living in Maine the AWD will be a very good feature.

I sure would like to see a 5 speed AT.

Love this car
By soldonsuby

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car does what it does. Traded out of 1/2 ton full size pick up. I am very impressed w/ interior design, layout and comfort. I have big feet so the pedals could all use some more spacing but is not a problem. I like the aux audio jack but wonder why its hidden the console compartment. This does make it easy to "hide" what you have plugged into it. Hmm. The engine power is adequate and fuel economy is great for AWD vehicle of this size. Handling and ride comfort are excellent. Note on the cruise control... would like to tap the accel/decel buttons a number of times and have the speed change the corresponding number of MPH.

AWD, aux audio input, ride and handling.

Get rid of annoying seat belt buzzer and make cruise control operate properly.

Wins the competition but I'd like better
By dusanmal

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As the title implies we got the car simply because no one does better in this category. Not because we are completely happy with it. We have had long and good experience with 2002 model. Quality apparently still holds. Gas mileage is somewhat better than sticker EPA estimate. Performance is appropriate for the purpose. Comfort is good and slightly better vs. 2002. Design is clean and appropriate for the CAR Wagon, what it should be (Subaru, please remove it from the SUV ranks). Minor ergonomic design errors (location of handbrake and pedals). Major utility design errors (wheels, cargo space).

Fun to drive AND comfortable. Amazing bad weather performance, thanks for the AWD and handling.

No wheels/tires option for normal people. Should offer 16" alloy wheel option ideal for the purpose of this car. Handling gain from 17" is irrelevant in normal driving. Utility and comfort gains from 16" are huge. Already reduced cargo space is further diminished by too deep under-cargo floor bin.

A Happy Subie owner
By A Happy Subie owner

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely fell in love with this vehicle after I saw quite a few on the road driving around. After doing my research and going to this website (www.edmunds.com) and Subaru's website, reading all of the great comments people had on this particular vehicle, I was sold. I got the sport package with the heated seats and the heated mirrors. I think the heated seats will help me in those cold winter early mornings to work when i have to clear the sidewalks at a school where i work at.

The automatic seat (driver's). Also the aux. jack for the mp3 player I own. Also, like the fact that it is all wheel drive, which would make it perfect to drive in the snow.

Change the location of the aux. jack. Put it up on the actual stereo itself. Other than that, change nothing. It is perfect.

Outback rattles!
By Outback rattles!

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has way too many rattles, ticks and squeaks. It's driving me crazy and this is unacceptable for such a new car. The rattles started one week after my purchase. I've been a big fan of Subaru for years but not sure I'd buy another one after this experience. If you're thinking of buying one, definitely rent one for a couple days first. A new car should be quiet for the first few years. The car looks good but kind of too small for a family. Black leather interior is hot hot hot in the summer months. The huge sunroof is cool. The fat leather wrapped wheel feels nice in the hands.

Huge sunroof, black leather interior looks nice and sporty but very hot in the summer.

Figure out a way to tighten things up - get rid of all the rattles. The rattles are ruining an otherwise good car.