Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Wins the competition but I'd like better
By dusanmal

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

As the title implies we got the car simply because no one does better in this category. Not because we are completely happy with it. We have had long and good experience with 2002 model. Quality apparently still holds. Gas mileage is somewhat better than sticker EPA estimate. Performance is appropriate for the purpose. Comfort is good and slightly better vs. 2002. Design is clean and appropriate for the CAR Wagon, what it should be (Subaru, please remove it from the SUV ranks). Minor ergonomic design errors (location of handbrake and pedals). Major utility design errors (wheels, cargo space).

Favorite Features

Fun to drive AND comfortable. Amazing bad weather performance, thanks for the AWD and handling.

Suggested Improvements

No wheels/tires option for normal people. Should offer 16" alloy wheel option ideal for the purpose of this car. Handling gain from 17" is irrelevant in normal driving. Utility and comfort gains from 16" are huge. Already reduced cargo space is further diminished by too deep under-cargo floor bin.

A Happy Subie owner
By A Happy Subie owner

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely fell in love with this vehicle after I saw quite a few on the road driving around. After doing my research and going to this website (www.edmunds.com) and Subaru's website, reading all of the great comments people had on this particular vehicle, I was sold. I got the sport package with the heated seats and the heated mirrors. I think the heated seats will help me in those cold winter early mornings to work when i have to clear the sidewalks at a school where i work at.

Favorite Features

The automatic seat (driver's). Also the aux. jack for the mp3 player I own. Also, like the fact that it is all wheel drive, which would make it perfect to drive in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Change the location of the aux. jack. Put it up on the actual stereo itself. Other than that, change nothing. It is perfect.

Outback rattles!
By Outback rattles!

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has way too many rattles, ticks and squeaks. It's driving me crazy and this is unacceptable for such a new car. The rattles started one week after my purchase. I've been a big fan of Subaru for years but not sure I'd buy another one after this experience. If you're thinking of buying one, definitely rent one for a couple days first. A new car should be quiet for the first few years. The car looks good but kind of too small for a family. Black leather interior is hot hot hot in the summer months. The huge sunroof is cool. The fat leather wrapped wheel feels nice in the hands.

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof, black leather interior looks nice and sporty but very hot in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out a way to tighten things up - get rid of all the rattles. The rattles are ruining an otherwise good car.

Lovin the Outback
By anythngbutGM

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just purchased an 08' Outback 2.5i Limited with the LL Bean package, navi, and VDC. We really like this car. The 2.5 base motor is plenty powerful around town where it sees most of it's activity, and after it's first fill up we can proudly report 28 mpg. The seats are outstanding, the build quality is as good as a Lexus and the huge panoramic roof is awesome! Also, Subaru safety along with the excellent AWD system should help us weather the New England winters with ease. Seriously, if you are looking to buy something like a RAV4, CRV, or Forester, give the Outback a try. It is well worth your time.

Favorite Features

Huge panoramic roof! safety, AWD, classy, Lexus-like interior, reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

Another cog or 2 in the transmission, or a traditional manual.

Good car but it ticks!
By Jim D

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and this is my 4th one. Overall I'm very happy with the car. Love the huge sunroof and leather. Comfortable quiet highway ride. But, from somewhere in the rear cargo area there's a tick type of a rattle and it ruining an otherwise good car. It started one week after I drove it off the lot. Still trying to find it. Sometimes the sunroof rattles - not all the time. Usually after hitting a big bump in the road, this sets all the ticks and rattles going. Kind of frustrating for such a new car. If you own one, make sure you set the SRS on the stereo to on. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality.

Favorite Features

Overall look inside and out. Leather wheel feels nice on the hands. The dark gray color that I got is very unique and I've been getting lots of compliments on the car. 17 inch rims look so much better than the 16s of previous models.

Suggested Improvements

Stop all the ticks and rattles. A new car should be super quiet over the road. Also, on a limited car, the audio buttons should be on the wheel.