2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Outback 2008 3.0
By Jose Alvarado on 03/30/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a ML350 of very questionable quality and performance and two discoverys before. I pick an Outback looking for a smaller confortable car paying almost one third of the money I paid for the other cars. A big deal! Great off road and fast in road, a lot of space in a not-too-big car.

A great practical wagon
By eds on 03/24/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Read all the car tests and test drove15 different cars. The Outback 2.5xt with manual shift just made the most sense. Very classy functional exterior design. Instrumentation better than my Audi. I'm 61 - this wagon was designed for adults but with the turbo its fun to drive-easily better than a Honda CRV.

Shudda kept my Beloved Baja
By Ray on 03/24/08 11:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a very nice 03 Subaru Baja and stayed with Subaru because of the splendid 5+ years experience I had with my Baja. In general, the Outback looks just fine and the Limited model has a nicely appointed and comfortable interior. However, the MPG on the outback is not very impressive Ö 24.2 hwy (recent trip) and something under 20 around a very rural town. When compared to my Baja at 29 hwy and 24 town, Iím loosing almost 82 miles per tank on the hwy (worth $11.00+/tank at todays prices and subject to increase in the future). All in all, really wish I had kept my beloved Baja.

Great Choice
By Doug on 03/23/08 10:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and really wanted to buy my 4th Honda. I looked at the CRV and didnít like the interior. I am a fly fisherman and like to have a vehicle in which I can lie down and take a rest. I have a serious back problem and need to take breaks in my fishing day. The CRV just wasnít able to provide a long rear floor space. When the rear seats are folded down there is plenty of room for me at 5í9Ē. Interestingly enough, the Honda dealer sent us to Subaru! The Subie us everything I wanted. I am an environmentalist and biologist so my carbon footprint and controlling pollution output is important. So far we have gotten 25 mpg in mixed driving short trips (a bit disapointing).

First non-Honda car in 22 years
By Bob757FL on 03/17/08 21:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After driving only Accords for 22 years, I wanted to try something else. Subaru came to my attention on both the NHTSA site, and the IIHS site for safety. Consumer Reports gave it high marks for reliability and user reports say 30mpg hwy. I have come to this conclusion after the 1st 1000 miles: it is as fun to drive as a Volkswagen Jetta or Passat, rated as safe or safer than any Volvo, yet has a reliability rating beating both of these. Below 60 mph it is an absolute blast to drive. I don't know why but it is. My wife keeps asking to take it for her local errands. Above 60, steering is more sensitive than a Honda and is taking some getting used to.

Second Beaner
By jim n. on 03/16/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded our 2002 Bean Outback. This one is a much better performer but the interior has been redesigned for the worse. Controls were moved around to accomodate the opt. Nav. screen (which should be mounted on the dash). Climate controls placed low behind gearshift, audio controls lowered. You used to be able to adjust with a glance, now you have to take your eyes off the road. No storage for cds or loose change. The ashtray barely holds a chapstick. Rear seats no longer fold truly flat. Parking brake lever intrudes on drivers right leg. Odometer/temp/etc multigauge is useless and annoying.

Best bang for the buck!
By Chris S. on 03/04/08 13:36 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best all around value and functionality from any manufacturer! It's like taking a sedan, SUV, and sports car and fusing them together. Gets 30 MPG on the highway after switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic.

So far, so good, except 4 airbag sensor
By Gene R. on 02/20/08 10:35 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased an '08 Outback 2.5i. The car feels solid, drives well, and is adequate in interior comfort. The car's engine power is adequate, but not impressive. We enjoy the handling of the car the most, but haven't tested it in snow/ice conditions yet. We've been averaging around 26-27 mpg hwy, which is impressive considering the full time AWD. A knock against the car is that we've had an issue with the passenger side airbag sensor. It turns on and off intermittently. We were told it's a safety design issue for small children. My wife is approx 5'4" 110 pounds and doesn't always set off the sensor. We find this odd, and are researching the issue further.

Just Fantastic Vehicle
By Tony S on 02/17/08 04:28 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our third Outback H6. We bought our first Outback H6 in 2003 . This was our introduction to Subaru's Line. Since then we purchased 2005 and 2008 H6 model versions of the Outbacks. It is most reliable and fun to drive vehicle and it seems that Subaru just got it right all the way. Every model year gets better and better.

Disappointed
By Outback on 02/14/08 18:28 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2002 Outback! My second Subaru is at the opposite end of that scale. This 2008 is like a tunafish can in comparison. Very uncomfortable. Seat does not go that far back and is uncomfortable for a 5'8" driver. Ride is rough, Gas mileage is only 22-23 mpg, (expected more.)Tires are small. Overall, very disappointed and will never buy another Subaru. How could a car change for the worse, so quickly? Can't wait to get rid of it!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.