Dependable
By SeattleSub on
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
Bought new, now covered 72k miles in all conditions. I am a confirmed Subaru driver and this car has lived up to my expectations. This car gets me everywhere I want to go in any weather. The performance of the 2.5i is adequate. The 4-speed auto needs another gear and quicker response. Why did they put such poor tires on at the factory? Problems included: 1) Burning out headlight bulbs regularly. I no longer leave the headlights on all the time and the problem has gone away. 2) Wheel bearing went at 59k. I now have a 1 year old son and this model is too small in the back for the car seat and Mum. I am 6'5". I will probably buy the new model as it has much more leg and shoulder room.
Favorite Features
AWD traction, heated seats, headroom, versatility, reliability, running costs
Suggested Improvements
Longer lasting headlight bulbs, more rear legroom (yeah 2010), better radio, better factory tires.
By nidwaldner
on 01/22/11 16:10 PM (PST)

Ditto. Sums up my experiences with my 2005 Outback. 8 bulbs and 2 rear bearings. Replaced the original tires with snow tires in winter. I too am 6'5" and have a toddler. We have just replaced ours with a 2011. Much more space in the back row, but harder to see out the back. CVT gives better economy and none of the slamming into a lower gear on kick-down like with the old 4-speed.

By nidwaldner
on 01/22/11 16:10 PM (PST)