2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
2006 Subaru Legacy Limited junk
By subarujunk on 02/20/14 13:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Head gasket needs replacement at 79,000 gentle miles!! $1800! Outrageous. It is apparently a very common problem, despite what ANYONE says about the issue having been resolved from 2005 and newer. I'd expect that from 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru Car is only mediocre at every level. My 1992 Camry (that I kept as a spare car till a couple years ago) did everything better (except for winter traction of course). Transmission shifts poorly (again, my 92 Camry shifted more smoothly and confidently). First and last Subaru. My Toyotas and Nissans have all gone over 250k and never needed a head gasket replacement. DON'T BUY A SUBARU!!

Some good & Lotsa bad
By ohassen on 02/25/13 20:13 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Legacy w/85k mi on it less than a year ago. If you're looking to buy one, this is what you need to know: The GOOD: AWD offers great stability and makes the car fun to drive, good in snow but won't help you brake better in snow. THE BAD: The AWD system is delicate, no more than 2/32" difference in tire tread depth. Which means if you have 1 bad tire, you'll need to get 4 new tires as I have already done. I've had recurring Alignment issues as did others. I've had Tire Air leaking issues, as did others. Engine hesitation/misfire seems to be normal even when bought new. Gas mileage is not impressive. Used to get 25-27. Now I get 20-24 since the misfire issue got worse. Never again!!

Mostly good - a couple of negatives
By ks1 on 01/05/12 08:02 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had this legacy (wagon) for 7 months now, replaced an 08 GTI for a turbo car with AWD. Overall pretty happy with it. AWD is amazing in winter, especially combined w/ winter tires. However, I find the suspension QUITE spongy. For a sports car more than an acceptable amount of body roll on corners, and squat while accelerating. Just not as buttoned down as a german car. Mileage is disappointing, 17-21 MPG with a mix of city and freeway. The interior is pretty nice, good leather, could use a bit more lateral support on the seats. Turbo has a nice linear build, not much noticeable lag. Compared to the GTI though, the 'fun to drive factor' isnt as high up as with the VW.

Just a really well built car
By TW on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought new in 2006, just hit 60,000 miles. Still love the car. It's been reliable, drives well, good interior size. It really is a perfect sports sedan. 4 adults can fit comfortably, the interior is simple but well put together. The car offers a very good power & handling. It's just an absolute joy to drive. I love how small it is on the outside, yet you do not feel cramped inside at all, especially compared against IS250, CTS..etc.

Good, solid, fun car
By Jon on 04/14/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

So far so good with 53k on the odometer. First time I have purchased a car used and it has worked out so far. I imagine that this would be a great everyday car for a middle-aged male not looking to sacrifice performance for everyday drivability. However, I bought this car with other intentions. With a few thought-out upgrades, you can turn this car into one heck of a ride. For about 1k you can keep up with a standard WRX, and for around 2.5k, you can run circles around an STi. A comfortable car on long trips and a a road demon when it wants to be (after a few tweaks.) Given that it holds up, I hope to have it for many years.

What a Find
By Landshark on 03/30/10 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am not your "typical" import buyer. I only owned one other import make in my life and that was a Honda Civic I purchased new. That was built in Ohio, and this car is built in Indiana - an excellent selling point for me. My son crashed my Saturn Aura so I was put into the used car market, and my wife and I settled on looking for a good buy on a Subaru since we did not really want to have 2 trucks or SUVs. This little machine is great. I don't live where I can do the things I really like very often(boat, fish, swim, jet ski) but what we do have is some excellent twisty, hilly roads that those in coastal locals often don't have. With the Subaru,I get to have fun on my way home from work! Get1!

They should charge more!
By lorraine on 04/30/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as a single lady and then got married and added a couple kids. It fits life! Sexy, fast and fun but safe and dependable enough to put your family in it! I can't say enough about this car. The power is nuts. I cant believe the handling and of course it looks amazing for such a reasonable price. Lots of trunk space too.

Never Regretted Choice
By Sue In Penn on 10/19/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Outback Wagon which I traded in after 115,000 miles (but was still performing fine). I did not hesitate to get another Subaru but I wanted something different so I got the Legacy sedan. It handles so great in fast curves that it makes me feel like a professional driver. As with the Outback, I've learned to absolutely love driving in the snow and despite driving a 70 mile roundtrip commute (in Pennsylvania) I've never missed a day of work due to snow. I work at a hospital and am on-call and have to have a reliable way to quickly arrive following an emergency call in and this car has never let me down. I've passed many stranded vehicles... even big SUVs.

Superb All Weather Grand Touring Sedan
By Frank on 07/11/08 09:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 06 Spec.B is superb all weather grand touring car. This car does everything well. The Bilstien suspension is simply amazing. Smooth while cruising and even better on rough roads and/or when driving enthusiastically. The 2.5 turboed boxer engine is powerful with very little turbo lag with a 5 speed manual transmission that is a near perfect match for the huge amount of torque available. I've owned her for 60k miles and I simply love every chance I get to drive her. With winter tires (or aggressive all seasons (the OEM ones are summer performance)), it will go through just about anything. For the money, the Spec.B is the greatest bang for your motoring buck in the automotive world.

A Great Car
By Jim V on 05/25/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

I bought this car as a replacement to my 1999 Audi A4. While this car does not drive quite as nice as the A4, the way it drives still "feels" very German. And if this Legacy's reliability remains as solid as reported for all Legacys by Edmunds and other sites - I will continue to be very happy with this vehicle. It gives you almost all the best of higher end German cars with the reliability of a Subaru. It is so fun to drive. My only complaint is the quality of the leather interior. It just seems like the seats are starting to wear already. They don't have the same quality finish as the A4's seats. Other than that, I am a very happy Legacy GT owner.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.