Used 2008 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Star On ICE!
By Carlos

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Greetings! Winter of 2009 my wife and I drove on I-40 somewhere in Oklahoma and the road was coated with snow turned to ICE... it was around midnight and we were the only ones driving on I-40 at about 40-50 mph. All Semi- Truck/cars, etc. stuck along the side of the interstate due to the road condition, but our 2008 2.5i Impreza 5door kept going. The car took control whenever it sensed a "side-way" skid. The 2008 2.5i Impreza 5 door handled perfectly well on the snow & ice coated I-40 interstate...

All Wheel Drive & Stability Control.

Design a Subaru with a 30-35miles per gallon (combined city/highway).

My STi
By CK

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC, Nav, Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first Subaru & what I've noticed is that wrx & sti owners have some special bond when they see another. Everyone always waves or smiles. Pretty cool. Those that know what a STi is, are always wanting to race & well sometimes I have to just let her run & they get to see my tail lights. ; ) I've taken it snowboarding several times even in white out conditions & my STi has never let me down. I've taken corners like it was on rails. I don't even sweat it anymore. So... definitely fun to drive & I hope to keep for a very long time because I can't see myself in another car.

SI-drive, DCCD, boxer engine sound, turbo sound, bbs rims, nav, side fender vents with the STi logo.

I have to think really hard & so I'm nitpicking, but tano cover for my STi's trunk area seems loose & can kinda make a little noise on bumpy roads. Would like standard hid fog lights.

Subaru: Always a Great Purchase!
By Jason

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru: 04 WRX (wish I never sold it!), 07 Forester XS, and this car. I'm driving 45,000 miles a year (crazy!) and averaging 30 MPG at usually 70-75 MPH, which is beyond the EPA reading! Cruise control is my friend. Can't beat the AWD in any weather. I HIGHLY recommend any Subaru model to anyone looking for a vehicle. No issues whatsoever with this car. -- If you're car shopping, just take a moment to drive some Subaru's, especially in a downpour or bad weather... I bet you'll be amazed! For comparison, do the same with other brands. This is when you'll notice more about the true feel of a vehicle versus a bright, dry, sunny day.

Manual transmission (auto was too weak); smooth ride (though it was too "washy" until I adjusted to the ride height) after having sports cars; Premium Pkg & lower seats (for the shifting); Body Style; AWD; Because Subaru makes awesome reliable products.

Better paint! I've never had a car's hood chip so easily before. This is my 6th car and even the other Subies didn't chip like this one. Rear hatch rattles. Using tape on the metal ring helps. Sunroof in the Outback version? Better factory roof rails. These are noisy. Diesel? Please?!?!

My first Subaru
By RT

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

All the reviews about paint problems are true. I bought this car 9 months ago and can't believe how fragile the paint is. I've only got 6,000 miles on the car and it looks like there's 4 years of abrasion on the rear qtr panels. Severe chips on the hood and front of the vehicle. Hopefully Subaru officials read these reviews and do something because they're losing customers. This was my first and believe me last Subaru. Unless you want to pay for a total repaint every 3 years stay away from this car. Other Subaru models have the same problem. Oh and do something about the ridiculously low passenger seat and what's with the holes in the front bumper?? Not all states have front license plates!

I like the styling, everything else is average or below.

Put a 5 speed transmission in the car, the 4 speed is totally inadequate. Improve the quality of your paint. Do away with the clown height passenger seat. Stop putting the unsightly holes in the front bumper and do away with the red instrument lighting, it's awful!

Cheap AWD Safety, Small Family Car
By Third Subaru

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest complaint: rear drum brakes! We don't drive too many miles but we do have to deal with snow. This model is underpowered and boring to drive, but it gets you to your destination safely and reliably in northern winters. We have averaged 23.5 mpg and have had zero maintenance issues. The interior is cheap but well put together and functional. The rear hatch is poorly designed, when you shut it you either push too light and doesn't latch or push too hard and it rubs the bumper. I am not happy with the amount of rust developing in the suspension, and may take it in to complain about that. The paint looks great but it chips and scratches very easily.

AWD and reliable build.

Buyers: Skip the nav and ipod upgrade and get an aftermarket in dash GPS with iPod and sat radio. But go for a version with disk brakes. Subaru: use 4 disk brakes, fix the hatch, use better paint, up the power, give us a diesel or hybrid option, and use better rust proofing.