2008 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
2008 Impreza
By Joe on 11/07/08 12:36 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the car has been great. The gas mileage has been better than the EPA rating. I've been getting between 25-26 highway/town and 31-32 on the highway. Haven't had a single problem yet.

Impressive Impreza
By Subienewbie on 11/05/08 20:28 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 08 Impreza in early august. I test drove the wrx and then decided to go with the 2.5i 4-door as the lease deal seemed to too sweet to ignore. The car has been fun to drive - it is a real dynamo for its size. The engine is responsive, smooth and has ample juice on the highway. Long-drives have been at about 30.5 mpg and city at 23 on average. Not bad for a 3200 pound car with awd. I am really glad I got a subie!

Best for the price
By Mike on 10/30/08 00:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got mine more than year ago. So far very pleased by the price/quality/value. I averaged ~22mpg (~6000 city + ~3000 highway) and I'm OK with that considering AWD, 2.5 engine and automatic transmission. I got Dark Gray Metallic colored car with dark interior. So far no mechanical problems - I've changed only oil and air filters. I believe that the engine is great and allows some fun on the road but could get better performance with manual transmission. Unfortunately my wife prefers automatic so we got less fun.

Very Good except for torque
By AJ on 10/26/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is generally very good. I got it for an excellent price, even in its first year. I really like the interior design and layout and the great looking and useful hatch bodystyle. The interior generally is nice for the $ but I think the red lighting is juvenile and hard to read. The main problem with the car is the short-stroke engine combined with interia of AWD system makes it a torqueless dog both around town and on the highway. I can't fathom why the engineers would set it up that way. At least the short gearing kind of makes up for it, but then it ends up feeling like it needs a 6th gear. All together it drives and rides pretty well and is comfortable. MPG isn't bad for AWD.

My first Subaru
By Nicole on 10/25/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru and I am very happy with it. I traded in a 2006 Civic that went nowhere in the snow and during Minnesota winters that's not a good thing. I decided on this because of the AWD, the looks and the price. I am impressed with the ride, and quality of the car and it has great pick up, it's pretty quick! Not much road noise either. Feels like a nice solid ride. Cant wait for some snow to test it out. It gets a pretty solid 26 mpg city and when I drove a 200 mile trip all highway it got a solid 32 mpg which I think is great for this car and it isn't even broken in yet. Overall happy with my purchase and will buy a Subaru again, maybe a Legacy next time :)

A Practical Commuter with a Soul
By Mike on 10/06/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned the vehicle for a few days, but it is incredibly solid and quite fun to drive. Going from a Z28 to a four-cylinder was a bit daunting, but the car feels spritely for 170 ponies. Controls are well laid-out and easy to figure out, and the car responds as though it is meant to be driven. After test-driving a few vehicles (Corolla, Civic, etc) the Subaru was by far the most fun and felt like the best value for my dollar, especially with the full-time All Wheel Drive. The stereo is a bit tinny (base model), but can be easily upgraded. Absolutely opt for the auxiliary-input if you get the base model for MP3 connectivity - it's a blast!

Great ride
By MikeyEv on 09/26/08 11:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car in February of 2008. I'm not a big fan of the 4dr, but I do love my 5dr wagon. I had a great buying experience and I got a great deal. I love the way the car drives. Great all-around ride and suspension. Lots of power. It has very little turbo lag. It's great on hills. With the seats folded down, there is a lot of space. The car is very practical, reliable, and mostly importantly fun.

Comfortable and affordable
By Ty on 09/24/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru, and I'm impressed so far. The ride is a near perfect blend of road feel and impact isolation. Not even major potholes transfer into the car as harsh impacts. The steering and brakes are almost perfectly weighted, though I had hoped for more road feel and feedback from a Subaru. They got most of the interior details right (the steering wheel buttons light up!), but some cost cutting is definitely visible. I think they did it in the right places, it's certainly forgivable in exchange for AWD and an engine that makes 30 more HP than competitors do. Overall it drives very nicely for a sub-20K car is getting 5-6 MPG more than my CR-V that had the same MPG rating.

Too many RATTLES
By Subie on 09/17/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

New 2008 STi is unquestionably a blast to drive, and I actually prefer the new, toned-down body style. That said, I'm finding it a difficult daily driver. Not because of the transmission (clunky) or the gas mileage (mediocre), but because the car rattles so, so, so much. I've only owned it for a few months, and it is barely out of its break-in period. But it seems like every time I get in the car, it has developed a new interior rattle. No use turning to dealerships for help, in my experience, as they either fail to fix the problem, or claim to be unable to replicate it. Just how high do you have to turn the stereo and a/c to drown out all those rattles, boys?

My 3rd Subaru
By MK on 09/16/08 13:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru makes great cars. This is my third. After having owned 2 used Legacys, over the last 10 years, I decided to spring for a brand new Impreza. For a small car the larger than normal 170 HP really gives it some kick and the AWD and stability control make it do amazing things. Best car in its class. In fact it outclasses everything else which is why it is so under reviewed. It must just confuse auto reporters about how this car fits in with everything else.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.