2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great car
By Travis on 07/06/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First thing that I noticed when i bought my used WRX was how great of shape the interior was. It was not worn out at all, besides the drivers seat. Mileage does not seem to effect Subarus much. It runs perfect.

A Lot Of Car For The Money!
By broman on 06/10/08 22:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Recently purchased my WRX from a friend who owned it since 25K. Car now has 91K. Previous owner only did regular service with no other issues. This is the type of vehicle that you have to know what you are buying. It doesn't do anything spectacular but does do everything well. Power is adequate, interior is decent, looks are unique, MPG is good for a performance-based car, parts/service is reasonable, and resale is pretty good if you purchase used. I bought this car mainly for MPG as my other vehicle is an F150. And for $7000 I do not think I could get more car for the money. The car had already been upgraded to 17" wheels so it looks even better. Otherwise the car is completely stock.

Awesome Little Wagon
By BostonLegal on 06/07/08 23:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I wanted AWD and a decent amount of carrying capacity while still being small enough to parallel park easily. The TS wagon fit the bill perfectly. As a CA native unaccustomed to the unique demands of winter driving in upstate NY, my Subaru has done a fantastic job of hugging the iciest roads. Curiously, my friends' SUVs often get irretrievably snowed into their parking spots, but my wagon can always get past the snowiest mounds. Reliability is excellent even on long roadtrips - I've driven her from NY to CA and back to MA. I have had no expenses beyond regular maintenance in my 7 years of ownership. After this car, I am absolutely sold on Subarus.

WRX = high performance for cheap
By subafan on 05/12/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my '02 WRX wagon exactly 2 years ago with 60,000 miles on it, just out of warranty. I now have 102,000 miles on it and have only replaced the brakes and done regular maintenance, mobile 1 synthetic only. While it may need more maintenance than I've given it, it still has given me no problems whatsoever. This car is super fast for a wagon. Nobody expects to see a subaru wagon to pull off the line as quick as the WRX wagon. I can get to 60mph, with a passenger, in 6 seconds which is impressive for a 2.0L 4cyl. Also, the AWD performs better in 6in or less snow than my Jeep Cherokee.

Impreza 2.5RS
By JW on 05/05/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

6 years, 82k miles and not a dime in it other than gas, oil and tires. Still gets over 30 mpg freeway, around town is a little low due to the AWD, upper teens/low 20's depending on how you drive. Getting 25 on the average tank. Reliable, punchy, AWD is amazing on the snow.

2002 WRX
By aaron on 05/09/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Pre-purchased WRX in April 01 site unseen, before they were first imported. Extremely happy with the car, fuel efficiency, power, and build quality. Over the last year, it has developed a couple of small rattles and the driver's window regulator needs replacing (has nearly 100k miles). Value is still over $10k 6 years later. Very satisfied with the car, the brand, and the type of vehicle.

Just a 2.5RS... nothing special
By Just a girl w/2.5RS on 05/04/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really do LOVE my car. It's fun to drive, it got me through my first real winter (snow, ice, slush) in a new place, and it's never had any problems due to regular wear and tear (regular maint. is done). Though not a WRX, acceleration is just fine for highway driving. I used to take my car through a very deserted canyon road with tight turns on the weekends and it begged for more.

Transmission Problems
By bigsuda on 03/07/07 11:04 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car about six months ago with 47k miles on it. Pretty low for an '02. I was having problems with getting it into first gear and reverse so I took it in to the local dealership. They told me that there was a problem (I expected it to be the clutch), and was told that there is a problem with the synchronizers in the transmission! Seems a little low mileage, well maybe a lot low, to be having problems with a transmission. I haven't added any aftermarket parts and take care of all my cars! Might be a lemon, but seems to be a ridiculous deal. $1500+ bill just to get started. Oh, and the warranty just expired 4 months ago due to an '01 delivery date. Wonderful!

A great car for the price
By Subidrifter77 on 03/04/07 15:59 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in later 2006. I have greatly enjoyed the experience. It corners good for a stock car. The AWD is awesome in the snow and I have loved drifting it! Dislikes: no light in the trunk, not a lot of room but good for the price. Likes: AWD is awesome, automatic shifts good on hills and in passing, the exhaust sounds great (not stock), comfortable on long drives, corners fairly well but needs larger sway bars, fantastic in the snow. It has only slid when I am laying into it. Great car so I can't complain much. Needs some performance stuff for more power so I am going to invest soon!

Great Car!
By fast4 on 11/27/06 12:38 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with 18K miles on it. The only mechanical fault that I ever experienced was a "Clutch Shudder" problem that was fixed under warranty at 20K miles. The ride is solid, responsive and communicative.