Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Foot to the floor = all the power you need. Easy on the gas = 26-28 MPG.

The squeaky seatbelt was enough to get me to replace the seats entirely, and the cheap plastic brackets that hold the bumper on should be burned.

Will buy another one!!!
By Will buy another one

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car in Michigan in all conditions and it won't quit. Had it packed to the ceiling with camping stuff, band equipment etc, it all fits! What a great car in the winter. I previously owned a Wrangler, and believe it or not, the Subaru is miles ahead in the winter. The only time I got stuck was when the plow covered it with 5 feet of snow. Mechanical problems: Replaced all brakes, a couple headlight bulbs, and wheel bearings in rear. This was a pain only because the shop did not know what the car was... do we order impreza or outback parts? I couldn't answer this for them. I believe the impreza parts worked, but not 100% on that. Overall great car, just wish I had a turbo!

Winter handling, fog lights are nice, visibility, storage space, and mostly driving past stuck cars and trucks in the winter.

Seat comfort. I just cant seem to get comfortable on long trips. Squeaky seatbelt. Cup holder placement. That's about it.

Solid car, with quirks
By Goatmount

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 150,000 miles on car with no major problems. Changed timing belt at 90,000, as all Subarus are required, which is about a $400 job. The engine is solid and will probably run to 200,000 with very few issues. Great in snow and cold. One of the most fun small cars to drive out there. There are some quirks to the 2002 model. The driver side seat belt squeaks every time you move even an inch. I have talked with other 2002 impreza owners and this appears to be a common problem. Replacing fog lights is $200 per light! The wheels get thrown out of alignment after driving through deep snow. As with all AWD cars, all the tires have to be replaced at the same time. Auto windows both broke.

The AWD is essential in the north country. Fun to drive. Surprisingly roomy interior.

Interior parts seem cheaply made. Cup holder broke, CD player broke, seat belt squeaks, auto windows broke on both doors.

Great car!
By James

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car in 2003 with 20,000 miles already on it. I beat this car HARD all the way through college and it's still kicking. I've done all my own maintenance... it's never been to the dealer. I've had to replace the brakes (pads & rotors) at 68k, accessory belts at 70k, and a set of tires at 60k. I redline the car every time I drive it...it's fun, reliable, and great in the snow!

AWD in the snow, peppy engine, handles like a go-cart, rock solid reliability!

New models received a much needed interior upgrade, paint needs help... that's all!

OK car, not great but good
By JTP

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

All wheel drive is really worth it in Michigan. Good handling, good gas mileage.

The wheels seem to have a wide pan. Mud gets in them and sticks, throwing the wheels out of balance. Fog lamps are a waste, but they have changed those to smaller profile, that may do it.