Used 2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

fast fun family ride
By mrjustin24

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Maxima used and got a great deal on it. It was super reliable, super fast and had plenty of space. This car was an awesome drive. The exterior design was great in its day but aged quickly I feel like. The dash design was stupid. The fake suede material on the dash didn't fool anyone into luxury. The rest of the car was great. We had no problem squeezing 29-30 mpg out on the highway after being told by the dealership it would never happen.

Speed and handling

Rear wheel drive would make this car amazing

Avoid this 2005 Maxima
By rcs26

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought all new cars Malibu(150k), Camry(225K) & donated both cars while running good. Then I bought new Toyota sienna ( 252K & running good), I decided to buy new & different car & I bought brand new design Maxima "Nissan's Flagship Car" with so much hope. It ran good for 2 yrs & then started breaking down. Dealer fixed whatever was under warranty. After all warranties expired major things started breaking. I replaced all Camshaft sensors. A/C was fixed twice still leaking. Struts and tie-rods were replaced. Within last year timing chain guides & transmission broke, estimate ~$7000. Now I was told it leaks oil. Haven't decide whether to repair/resale. I still love to buy new Nissan.

Nice interior & exterior. Very roomy, Great sound with Bose system. Very sporty.

Recall and fix transmission problems. Even Consumer's report recommends to avoid 2005-2006 cars due to transmission problems. There is a class action law suit against Nissan for this problem. Also, use better quality parts in engine. Timing chain guides shouldn't wear at 100,000 miles. Old timing belt design was replaced with timing chain to improve quality. Instead they use cheap plastic guides inside engine. To open engine labor cost is ~1200. Dealers know these known problems. I have talked to several Nissan mechanics who are currently working or used to work at Nissan and they all agree with that. NISSAN, if you want to retain customers to buy more Nissan cars, please do something. :-(

Cam Crank Sensors 200K+miles 2005 Nissan Max
By margiea4

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 with 13K miles - not perfect on the maintenance, but I do take care of it. This car has surpassed 200K miles (do a lot of driving). Problem with transmission and dash warnings with TCS with car stalling not shifting into gear. Transmission shop wanted 3800.00 :-(. Got second opinion and got computer analysis. Spent $160.00 on sensors and hubby did the work. Hubby automatic Hero Status :-). Car runs like a baby again. Thank you YouTube.

Car has had minimal problems. Did the major tune up at 200K miles and it needed a engine gasket replacement - $380.00

Headlights :-( they keep turning yellow and are more dim). Continue to clean and polish.

At 150k and still going strong...
By johnboy1015

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 new and have had very few problems. Check engine light recently came on but mechanic told me it's a misfire and will likely be fixed with a tuneup...which the car has never had, ashamed to say. Have never owned a car this long...nor wanted to. But looking to hand it down to my son

Engine performance, Bose CD system is very nice...my ears will blow before the speakers. For being paid off, it's a great car for now.

Issue with ABS after 5 years, but nothing out of the ordinary. As the car gets older you need to fix things like CV joints, struts, etc.

mone pit
By redfur1977

2005 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best and worst I have ever owned. The car handles great. Gets 30 mpg at 70mph. Wasnt expensive. Beautiful to look at. But it has been the most un reliable piece I have ever had the displease of owning. Bought the car with 100k. Two weeks after buying it transmision rebuild($4400). Then broke the cv joints because the transmission stressed them slamming into gear before the rebuild. Them a complete suspension rebuild. Now it need timing chain guides. Memory seats never worked. I have had over $8000 in repairs to this car and now..... The transmission is goin out again at 160k. Cant wait to get me an american car. FIrst and last Jap car I will own.

fast, pretty sittin still.

fix the reliability and it will be a good car.