2002 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews 6

2002 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Rock solid thus far!
By T Maynard on 08/04/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used in August '07 with 98K miles. Firstly, the exterior of the car is simply beautiful, extremely classy looking yet with a sporty edge. The interior cabin feels overall roomy enough. The leather seats are quite adequate and all the controls are nicely laid out and easily accessible by either the driver or passenger unlike in some vehicles where you feel the dash is a mile away. The sound system is decent but not exceptional. The steering is crisp and precise and the power is exactly what you would expect 255 ponies to feel like from a big sedan, very exciting. Gas mileage is blah, but this car so far has been a very worthy investment. It leaves me wanting nothing.

Solid car, great performance
By theargosy on 05/26/07 23:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've only had this car a matter of days, but my wife has one so I have a better idea of what it is and what it can do. It's a sporty family car with lots of power and conservative styling and functionality. It's got very good overall performance with acceleration a prominent feature. My wife's 2000 has been very reliable through 109,000 miles.

Best value for your money
By bwinter7 on 04/19/07 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a 93, a 97 and an 01. I had the 01 for about three months before somebody in an SUV sandwiched me between a snow plow and himself. I am convinced the design quality save our lives. I then bought my 02, and I have never been happier. The six speed, and all the little changes new to that year are that much better. In terms of power, luxury, performance and desirability, try to find something better. That Nissan 6 cylinder is one of the top 10 best motors ever made. All of my Maximas had well over 200k on them (except the 01) and never a motor problem. Everything else starts to go, but the engine will still purr like a kitten. Take care of it, regular oil changes etc., it will last

They don't make them like the used to...
By Jamez on 02/17/07 02:59 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I must say I have been a bit disappointed with this generation Maxima. My 97' SE was amazing, but somewhere in the crossing over, Nissan focused too much on power and not enough on the driver. The Bose sound system is a joke, the electronic seats are great but stopped working right after I bought it, the interior feels cheap and allows lots of wind noise. Fan for heater makes horrible grinding noise, so loud in fact it can be heard outside the car; how embarrassing! The styling and everything about this car feels old and worn out...I just want to get rid of it but I'm stuck with loads of negative equity!! Yikes!!

Maximus supreme
By SL8ROCK on 01/01/07 13:33 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my SE in May of 06 with about 48k on it and it rides like a dream. Those 6 cylinders come in handy on the highway. Takes curves pretty well, too.

Great Car
By Aimee on 12/26/06 00:16 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car drives wonderfully, and the power is great. Considering the size of the engine and the power, fuel economy is pretty good. My mom got into an accident, and the rear right door has a large dent in it from mid- door down, and although it looks awful from the outside, it did nothing to the inside, which shows how well it is built. There is plenty of room in the backseat for long trips, and it is very comfortable. The turning radius is large. After four years and about 56,000 miles, the only thing that needs to be done (other than routine maintenance) is that the timing belts have to be replaced.

The perfect car
By hotberyshocker on 12/14/06 10:46 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Maxima GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is extremely nice and fun to drive. It has everything and I love it!!!

The anti-Camry
By David on 09/09/06 00:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car 6 mos. ago with 61k on the odo and in that time I have had no probs with it except i had to force the dealer to replace the trans b/c the car had been previously wrecked on the driver's side and they didnt tell me. Now it has 71k and though im a little weary of the interior rattles I couldnt be more thrilled with the way it gets around town and on the interstate. Everything is done smoothly and competently and the VQ35 is well deserving of its reputation, tho Nissan let it down by not installing a 5sp automatic. Build quality is spotty in some areas, particularly around the hood and headlights, but this is still a solid car that Im planning on keeping for a long time.

Love it!
By SFKid on 09/04/06 11:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car which I bought with 29,000 miles on it. I now have 50,000 on it. Pluses: Handles great, great power. Minuses: Slightly lower gas economy than I expected, Bose system playback skips. I also feel a slight jerk when the driver's window rolls down. I expect that I'll need a repair sooner or later.

fun
By Hoooper on 08/12/06 17:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great car that is fun and reliable. enough power to get you anywhere, yet smooth enough to sit in traffic