2001 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
2001 Nissan Maxima SE
By J. Mattern on 02/07/09 19:14 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought SE model, loaded, new in '01. Check engine light and o2 sensors a continuous problem for last 8 years. Dealers stick it to you each time attempted to fix these issues. Finally gave up years ago and just live with. Car now has 200K miles and continue to drive as winter vehicle, but must say the engine has been very solid. Bought a 15" Blizzak tire/wheel package (all four wheels) to replace the 17" Potenzas for winter driving and this car rolls through the bad winters of Upstate New York like 4 wheel drive! Would likely not buy another Nissan vehicle as the frequent warning lights on the dash are just a pain.

Fast and Dependable
By Mike on 01/30/09 09:25 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought vehicle used with 36K on it. Now have 126K on it and still drives great. Replaced brakes and tires. Aside from regular maintenance, that's all I've ever had to do to it. Has never left me stranded. Still accelerates like a champ and hugs the road. No complaints at all here. Looking forward to turning over 200K.

Fast, Fun, and Fuel Efficient Reliabilty
By dodgeman on 01/05/09 06:50 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was my Mom's 6th Nissan in a row, after she gave it to me in 04, She moved on to her 7th if that gives you any indication of how loyal we are to Nissan. This car has been extremely reliable and easy to own. In fact, just a few days ago on Christmas morning was the first repair its ever had done, a starter. The car is very high quality from the interior materials featuring soft touch leather and vinyls almost everywhere and soft touch plastic knobs, the the 8.5 year old paint thats never been waxed that still shines like new. Not only is it very comfortable and reliable, but it will run to 60 in under 7 seconds, all while achieving 30+ highway and 23+ city on premium fuel.

Exceptional Used Car.
By Zoombag5 on 10/22/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 Maxima SE used in 2004 with 44,500 miles. Now have 106,000 miles after 4 years of driving it. I replaced the A/C compressor & oxygen sensors soon after purchase. Since then the car has been very dependable and fun to drive. All other costs have been maintenance related (brake pads, tires, etc.) I get 19 mpg local and an impressive 27 mpg hwy driving 65-70 mph with 3 passengers & luggage. I highly recommend this make & model. My 2nd Maxima. My 1st ('95 SE) was hit & totaled at 9 years & 94,000 miles, but was running like a top until then.

Mixed Feelings
By Mixed Feelings on 08/24/08 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in '05 with 95km and now has 166km. I'll first start off with the good qualities: comfortable luxury interior with good sound system. Has good power and fun to drive. Now the problems. Non stop idle problems. I have had many parts changed and still no luck. It seems like the check engine light is always on for something. To this day I still have idle problems which the dealership wants $2400 to change the computer. There is also some rust starting on the body. Other than that, it's been a decent car.

Nissan Lover!
By Maximus2001 on 08/20/08 12:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned only Nissans. I had a Nissan Sentra Coupe SE 1991 (first car) excellent used car, Nissan Maxima GXE 1994 used, and currently owned 2001 SE brand new from the dealer. Needless to say I still own this vehicle. Only regular maintenance had to replace struts & springs @ 108k, thus far. Keep in mind, this is the last truly manufactured in Japan vehicle so I can't speak on the newer models. But I can say this, I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 100k hopefully. I considered upgrading to an Infiniti G35, but decided to keep the Maxima since it has been so reliable thus far. Many people buy used and don't realize just how important the previous history is. It can impact you badly.

Excellent Car!!
By Rachel on 08/15/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased two brand new Nissan Maxima's 2001 Limited Edition cars (made in Japan). After I bought mine, he loved it so much, he bought one. I still have mine and it is an awesome car! I have maintained all regular maintenance & service on it and the items that needed repair (catalytic converter and alternator) were covered under warranty. This is the second Maxima (& 4th Nissan) I've owned and it is very fast, has great pick-up and is still stylish (after 7 years). My husband just traded his car in because he wanted a 4 cylinder and now misses his Maxima. The Bose system has incredible sound, all controls & power items still work, no problems with leather or paint! Buy one!!

Super Star
By PES on 07/19/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this since new and am completely satisfied! Engine is smooth as silk and has had zero problems in almost 100K miles. Body styling is becoming classic. Smooth ride tight steering great road grip. Only gripe, and that's minor, is the limited turning radius.

Very disappointed
By Maxima Girl on 06/02/08 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 Maximas and this is by far the worse one I have owned. I have replaced 2 sensors, the exhaust, the air flow meter, the signal light flashes very fast when you turn it on to make a left hand turn, and the leather on the driver's seat is cracking. And I have only owned the car for 3 1/2 months!

First review
By Ed on 04/29/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good car, poor dealerships. Ride is too firm for passengers but road handling is excellent. Fuel economy is very good, city and highway, even with regular gas. Every accessory still works.