Used 2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

A front-drive Bimmer
By David Jones

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Maxima and finally found a great deal on a 5sp GXE. obviously the nissan V6 is well known and i can feel all 222hp and 210lbft of torque in any gear. The clutch took awhile to master and the shift throws are a bit long and notchy but the power makes shifting largely optional anyway. Interior build quality could be better in places but the overall design is just right. Interior room and fuel economy are excellent, although the latter is balanced out by the need for 91 octane fuel. Exterior design is unique, though not quite beautiful. After driving 7000 mi, the car now has 52,500 mi and has needed only a reflash of the catalytic converter (covered under warranty).

This engine is to die for. I sometimes think of excuses to run errands just so I can hear it. Style, interior room, and fuel economy are also very good, and the steering is quick and well-weighted. The dashboard vents have a unique style and the guages are paragons of clarity.

Shifter can be a bit balky and the engagement feel is just average. The brakes are prone to fading after a couple of stops. Cheap center console plastic and a few persistent rattles are annoying, and the trunk isnt very well finished. Other than rims and window tint i plan to make no modifications

2001 GLE Nissan Maxima
By tecato

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 3rd nissan maxima that i own and i cannot say anything bad about the MAxima. A lot of power. Reliable, etc. I'll not change for another make or model....

A lot of small sport cars only see Maximas rear hood with the name MAXIMA and afterwards ask how much is fuel consumption...

No More Nissans
By steanboat1

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased 2001 SE brand new for my wife and absolutely love the car at first - power, comfortable, ample interior space and did I mention 'Power'. For the previous 15 years, we've owned Hondas and Toyotas and guess we were spoiled with their reliabilityr records of these. Starting at 30k we started having problems with the Maxima (O2 sensor, transmission, and Catalytic Converter). These are not your regular $200-$300 problems but more like $900- 1,300 a pop and you would expect these problems at 200+k versus 30-100k. I love the power and styling of Nissans, but I must say I'm going back to the ole' faithful Honda or Toyota for reliability and $$ saves in maintenance.

Power, styling, interior room

reliability - pricy parts do not hold up very well

20th Anniversary Edition Maxima
By Brooklynborn

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 20th Anniversary 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Maxima and I absolutely love this car. I've had it 4 and a half years now. The car rides smooth and quiet. It has a strong 227 Hp engine, the same one found in the 2001 Infinity I30. 4900 miles on it and still performs like new. No problems to report. All I've done to this car is replaced the tires when needed. The reliability of this car is excellent. This is exactly why I buy Maximas and nothing else, it's the best car for the money. I'm about to buy a 2006 Maxima. I've received many great offers on my car to sell.

Anyone ever noticed how roomy the back seats of this car is? Great looking aerodynamic body kit and nice wheels.

Better tires and better leather. My driver seat's leather ripped in several places from normal everday use.

Still Not Sure...
By RB

2001 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Maxima SE new back in March 01. I like the car overall, but here is my experience so far: 1)Had to replace the front shocks at 40K 2)The exhaust pipe had to be replaced at 53K 3) Replaced original Potenza tires after 53K 4)New front brakes at 36K 5) New rear brakes at 52K. My experience with the service department at the dealership has been very good, they know what they're doing. I will go with a Honda or Acura for my next car.

Fun to drive, Roomy interior

Be able to put regular gas in instead of minimum of 91 octane, better shocks and struts, better brakes, no low profile tires, lower cost for parts and maintenance