Used 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Eclipse GT 5 sp mt
By rx8rotary04

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

this was my first 5 sp mt car. it was a blast to drive for a first semi sports car. the handling was fantastic as well as the power (for what it is). a buddy of mine has the same car with not many major issues but i on the other hand got the lemon of all eclipses. bad belt bad motor mount bad tranny mount bad ebrake cable and many other things. before i sold it something would clunk and make the whole car feel as if it was about to fall into pieces but no one could figure out what it was so i had to sell the car and take a huge loss.

Favorite Features

handling, speed, comfort, design, color

Suggested Improvements

plan on (more then likely) replacing many parts before the car even hits 100,000 miles (and im not talking about the basics, spark plugs, coils, belts, etc) cheap parts used to make the car, but hey, it is what it is.

Fun while it lasted, sort of
By dudeitstopher

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All sorts of electrical issues, coil packs blown, ECM, replaced water pump + timing belt + tensioner + radiator + thermostat to have a persistent overheating issue. The car itself was reliable for periods of time but when it would break, it was always expensive. Found a very low-price garage and had all of the work done there, reputable mechanic in my community but the car kept breaking down. I'm going to part ways with it since the computer died and continues to blow fuses causing the car to stall and lose power WHILE driving. Very dangerous. Clean record on the car, unfortunately whoever owned it before me abused the car. I'll miss her, kind of.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, adequate power, decent handling, and the gas mileage wasn't bad.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality, the dash falls apart on every other 3G eclipse. Motor mounts are prone to failure, coil packs are a known issue, transmissions tend to die earlier than most cars, and the computers are very sensitive. Very rarely will you find one without an engine light on. Don't buy this "import" made in America, mainly designed by Chrysler. It's a strange breed with gremlins waiting to appear in it's later life.

Good Car Overall but had minor issues
By luke12321

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006, it had around 45k on it. I drove the car for about 100k miles when I owned it. First, the car says to run premium only but I never did. I ran regular in it the entire time and it never gave me any issues. Issues with car: Replaced 02 sensor, transmission was making a clicking noise, but never gave me any issues. Sunroof gave me trouble with jumping, jerking, really rough to open. I just stopped using it soon after buying it. Back hatch would not stay up when opened. Dash is cheap, it was cracked when I bought it. Wasn't starting well, I didn't want to deal with any longer so I sold it. Glad I owned it, good car and low maintenance.

Favorite Features

Power Design

Suggested Improvements

Rear Visibility terrible Sunroof slides too rough Dash cheap Speaker in dash cheap, blown up not playing that loud.

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS
By japanesewerkz

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 130k as a second owner. If your paint is black, it has been recalled. Luckily mine was well taken care off so I was able to use a clay bar and some ultra compund. The rims are also made by chrysler so they will rust. Other than that, this car is mechanically in great shape. It runs perfect, sounds good and just looks sexy. Mine has 152k and has just needed regualar maintainence. If you keep it up to date, then it will run. Ive seen many of these 4 cylinders hit 250k and still run great. Engine mounts and tranny are common things to replace a bit earlier than usual, other than though it runs and wont leave you with an empty pocket. Fuel econ. is decent though.

Favorite Features

I love this cars shape. Its very sexy and turns many heads, even though its a 10 year car. The interior is quite modern and still fits in with todays cars. The four cylinder isnt the fastest, but still does a very good job. There are also many aftermarket parts out there for this car. Throw on some rims and people will watch you drive away.

Suggested Improvements

They need a better paint job. Its been recalled for the color black. Also the dashboard WILL crack?!? I use armor all to protect it and it still ended up happening to me. The suspension is also soft. Its great on a long ride, but the age demograpic for this car is people in there 20's. I know its not a sports car, but even the the previous model eclipse gst has a better suspension. The Eclipse just in general sits a little to high than it should. Overall I do love this car and tlc it every weekend, but some of those things that we wouldnt expect to become a problem end up being a problem. This car is really great. Just take care of it as any other car and it will run for you and pay you back

Poor thing...
By jenni63

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 01 Eclipse since I was 16, about 6 years now. I must say, I do love my car and have done my best to take care of it, but it loves the shop too much. Every year I have to replace the battery, and everytime it's gone out getting it to the shop is a piece of work. Supposedly the computer has to 'be reset' otherwise it completely shuts off while driving. We've replaced the battery cables, etc. but it still eats through the battery. Fortunately (from an optimistic view), when something breaks, other things (unrelated) break as well so it's killing two birds with one stone, but it's a hassle. Everyone I've known who had this car has already had to trade it in from far too many issues.

Favorite Features

I love the design. I'd always wanted this body style Eclipse, and lucked up when I found it. It's comfortable in the front seats, handling and performance is great. Lots of options for customizing. Put pipes on mine years ago and the sound is amazing. I feel really safe when I drive it and it's not too small. Actually have fit in a 14' trampoline and drove fairly comfortably, of course I can't say so much for my 6'2 passenger.

Suggested Improvements

One of my big gripes is the cheapy interior plastic. Went to open my moonroof once and the plastic crumbled and got everywhere. The backseat is not meant for passengers above 4'5 and even then the shape of the seats are curved in a way that carseats wobble - a little nerve wrecking when you're toting around excited little kids. A friend was trying to get in the back one day and bumped the middle console and, back to the cheapy plastic, it broke so now that wobbles. Crazy ex also decided to hit the dash one day and now have a pretty good sized dent in said cheapy plastic. Trunk hydraulics are spotty making it hard to open and things routinely break, say every 3 months? My baby loves the shop!