Are you kidding me with this lock system?
By lkasko on
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
Had my CX-5 for 5 days. Love the drive, love the styling, love the gas mileage. Hate, hate, hate the locking system. Are you kidding me with this maybe the lift gate will lock and maybe it won't. How would you know. You have to walk away and when you come back with your key it is always open. What the heck is the purpose of the black button anyway. Are we supposed to depend that this locking sensor is going to work indefinitely. How do we know when it stops working. Not light, no beep not indicator, no nothing. Worse design I have ever seen. I am 66. I have owned a lot of cars. I would not have purchased this one had I known. Will try to get a lock installed
Favorite Features
Engine
Suggested Improvements
Fix stupid locking system. Give us some credit for being able to lock and unlock our own cars.
By toemahs1
on 07/14/14 20:34 PM (PDT)

Read the owner's manual! I think you will find a way to disable the auto-lock/unlock system and just use the key the old-fashioned way. If you aren't sure that the doors are locked, just approach the vehicle WITHOUT the key in your pocket! Whatever you do, don't have a conventional lock system installed; do you have any idea how this would disrupt the ignition system? Not to mention costing hundreds -maybe thousands- of dollars? Learn the system before you panic. You just might like it.

By mazda_guru
on 08/15/14 12:18 PM (PDT)

The rear liftgate will ALWAYS automatically unlock itself if you have the key with you. It's designed that way for convenience. If you have the Walk Away Lock programmed, it will lock the rear liftgate as well as the doors. Don't panic, it's working just the way it's supposed to.