2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda Cx-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Decent but Disappointed
By kewlcanuck

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Having driven the CX5 for a year I must say Mazda needs to make some changes in my opinion. Handling is very good, fuel mileage is good for the 2.5 and power is pretty decent. Seats are comfortable and driving position has good visibility. Overall not a terrible choice but could be a lot better for the price. Will be looking for a replacement in the next few months.

Favorite Features

Handling, power of the 2.5 and fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs work, stereo is terrible, you'll freeze in the winter if you live where they get snow. Road noise is higher than it should be. The transmission is a mess, always in a gear too high, a downside of fuel mileage. Hatch door doesn't open high enough, if you're over 5'11 you're going to hit your head. Driver side mirror vibrates at any highway speed.

Great car, Great value 2.5 GT AWD
By zoom_dan_zoom

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I did my research for a new SUV/CUV purchase, compared all the manufactures out there. Price was important, but so was power and features of the cars. My choice was clear after I test drove the CX-5, had the power I needed for every day traffic, comfort, handling (This thing handles like its on rails) and the tech included. Bose sound is fabulous, I wouldnít go without if considering this car. Gas mileage was best in class for an AWD CUV with the HP offered. Sure, the 260 HP Turbo offerings from other manufactures sure sounded nice, but the MPG suffered drastically and so did the sticker price. In my opinion, you canít get a better car in this class for the price,not with all the CX-5 offers

Favorite Features

Back-up camera, Blue tooth interface to my phone, power to pass when needed and getting into traffic. Bose system sounds very crisp, very easy to use. Overall looks of the car are great inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

I havenít had the car very long, so I donít have much to gripe about as of yet. The SiriusXM radio sounds muffled and under water. I was expecting a higher quality of sound, glad they threw in the 4 month subscription for free before I made the commitment. Pandora sounds pretty good though.

Great little SUV - gets lots of compliments!
By compurip

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had a CX-5 as a loaner vehicle a few months back and was really impressed by it. Had to drive upstate to visit family and snow was predicted, so I wanted an AWD vehicle and it really impressed. When I decided to buy, I test drove the Sport with the 2.0 liter and was more than pleased with the power. I ended up leasing a 2014.5 Dark blue with Sand cloth interior with bluetooth. The mica finish is beautiful and the contrasting cloth interior is really unique.

Favorite Features

Entire vehicle feels really quality from the closing of the doors, switches and buttons to the feel of the shifts and sound from the engine. People have complained about the engine being underpowered, but I've never understood the "larger the better" philosophy when it comes to engines. I've driven cars with much larger engines that were harsh and noisy and would much rather drive this one, which is quiet and refined. People have also complained about the transmission. It does exactly what it should - it selects the highest gear possible for maximum fuel economy. If it didn't, people would complain about fuel economy. Although it's the base model, it doesn't feel stripped.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Bluetooth audio system - my only real gripe, and the biggest weak point of the car. When using an iPhone, "shuffle" is grayed out, so everytime you get in, it starts at the first song on your phone, in alphabetical order. And each time you get in, it takes 2-3 minutes to re-catalog your library before it will play anything. It works slightly better to connect by USB audio cable. This is only partially Mazda's fault - I hear this worked perfectly until Apple upgraded to OS7, but it's time Mazda released a fix. A work-around to the shuffle issue is to say "Shuffle All" through the voice command system.

Overall good choice
By badlands17

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Traded in a '11 Ford Escape Limited AWD for the '14 Mazda CX-5 GT in Sep, 2013 so this is after 4 mo of use. Overall, a good vehicle. Pickup is good, comparable to the V6in the Escape. Mileage is better, though not as good as some on here indicate. In town averaging 23-24 mpg. However, in winter cold, mileage has dropped to 20-21 mpg. Use of remote start in bitter cold for 10 minutes, mileage drops to 18-19. Sound system is good, but not as good as the system in the '11 Escape. Some on here have complained about the Bluetooth connection. I have been using Pandora and the system works fine. Unlike satellite radio (ie Sirius), Pandora is coming through your cellphone first, then to the onboard

Favorite Features

Appearance, pickup, around town mileage. Haven't had a chance for long highway trip to honestly evaluate highway mileage. The passing/change lanes warning system is a great feature except that when you put on your turn signal in an off highway situation, things like sign posts, etc. can trigger the alarm.

Suggested Improvements

Probably nitpicking here but, interior lighting is poor. The "glow" indicator for buttons on the door panel for windows, locks, etc and on the steering column do not exist making it difficult to find buttons in the dark. The "trunk light" is on a side panel so you don't get much light in the storage area. Storage is poor. Door storage bins are built to hold 1 pint water bottles, useless for anything else. Cup holders are back to back instead of side to side making it a pain keeping track of drinks with a passenger. Center console is too low to rest your right arm on. Interior carpeting is inferior to the '11 Escape. Front console storage area is useless as items are easily thrown out of it.

So far, beyond expectations!
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this very recently and thus far, we're very happy. We'll update this review after a few months with new findings and experience... Contrary to a few reports, there is little road noise, the Bose system works great, Nav is just fine and the seats are very comfortable. This is NOT a European luxury vehicle - at the CX5 price point, just add another $25K if you're determined to have true luxury. Otherwise, after seeing virtually every other C-SUV, this Mazda competes quite well with all of it's competitors and in general, it does it for less! Well worth looking at !!!

Favorite Features

We love the Blind Spot monitoring as my wife sometimes struggles with a bad neck. The Nav system may not have 100% of the features of a stand-alone Garmin, but we'll take the 99% and not have to have another piece of equipment to deal with. The Bose stereo is very clean, good bass, crisp highs and the nine speakers are well placed. Gas mileage seems to be spot on the ratings which is generally a few points higher than the competition, even with the AWD that we opted for. The seat warmers are nice and the lumbar support is more than adequate for my sometimes-sore back after lengthy drives...

Suggested Improvements

Because this is not a luxury vehicle, there are a few minor things, but nothing serious. The front seat needs to be slid forward to lay the back seats completely flat and then slide back about 2/3 max. It really needs the full length available for my 6'2 frame. ALL of the control buttons should be lit. The rear cargo light needs to be brighter. Rear seats could recline, but again... not a luxury vehicle.