2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
By cbrianflynn

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After test driving all of the competitors (Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai), I settled on a 2014 CX-5 Touring to replace a 2001 VW Jetta Wagon. I was tempted by the Sport model, but the larger engine in the Touring and GT is much peppier for passing. I've had the vehicle now for about 3 months and do not regret my decision. The performance is more than adequate, handling is pretty good and gas mileage has been better than my VW and more than acceptable. I drive long distances a couple of times a week and have enjoyed the cruise control. Overall, it's a solid and fun care to drive, with plenty of room for hauling kids, gear, etc. Perfect for a small family.

I love the drive train. The engine loves to rev and the transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever driven. Handling is very good (though a bit heavy). The seats are very comfortable (took a trip of over 600 miles shortly after getting it and spent almost 12 hours in the seat one day with nary a problem). Cargo capacity is more than adequate. It is a fun car to drive! It's hard not to keep your foot out of the accelerator just to hear the engine rev! Love the cruise control, functionality, cargo space, and towing capacity (I added a trailer hitch for bikes and small trailer).

There is no arm rest for the driver and the door rest is too far away from the steering wheel for me to get a good rest position. On long drives this is a pain. The storage pocket on the doors is not very useful; made for one water bottle and doesn't do a good job at that; could use more storage space for small items. Would like them to decouple some of the extras. I wanted the premium sound system, but not the moonroof - Can't do that. The base sound system is okay, but not outstanding. Would also like the adaptive headlights, but can't get them without the electronics package. Would like a tie down hook on the front for securing items on the roof rack (like a canoe).

Coming from a Rav4, a step down
By jayne10

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I live on a gravel road in the land of snow. The car managed just fine this winter with our snow, ice and slop. I did not have any trouble getting up the hill to the house. I get less mileage than others, as you would expect, given our driving conditions. Driving along this winter and a piece of the interior plastic below the dash just fell off. Why? I don't know. It is now lying on the counter in my kitchen waiting to be dealt with. I don't really think that I would buy another one. Lacking power.

I like the red color of this car. The exterior styling is nice. The controls on the steering wheel are good.

What color interior is available? Black. I just plainly loathe the black interior on this car. It looks hideous, with all of the winter crud and salt tracked in and few opportunities to get it cleaned out properly. I bought seat covers that are gray, which helps a bit, but not much. The backseat fold down is poorly designed. We are long legged and must take the headrests off the back to fold down the back seats. So? Then what do you do with them? Leave them lying about in the house? A serious negative. Also, I am missing the trunk from under the cargo area, that was in my Rav4.

OK but compromised
By dbrown15

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Good value. Excellent gas mileage 29 to 35 mpg mixed driving. Acceleration Ok but nothing special. Major rattles and vibrations in cold weather and on dirt roads. Driving side mirror replaced due to vibration at highway speeds. Three trips to dealership(s) to finally resolve instrument panel rattle. Still noticeable body noise and resonance from rear. Thinking of trading in for a Subaru Crosstrek as have driven that car over similar terrain with no problems.

Handling on twisting roads.

Bodywork material has been thinned down too much to get good gas mileage. Add sound proofing everywhere.

Zoom-zoom with room
By midnight2014

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My wife previously owned a 2010 3 hatchback. We loved that car. I loved that car even though I am 5'10", and 220 pounds, I fit comfortably in that car. But my wife wanted something bigger, and when the CX-5 came out it was the perfect choice for her. I like the CX-5, but wonder where the memory seats went? Mazda please explain the silly logic of eliminating memory seats??? The 2013 3 had them. My wife being 5'4", and me being 5'10", you can understand my dilemma. My wife's GT has everything, rain-sensing wipers, rear camera, Smart-Assist Braking, Bose, navigation, but no memory seats!!!! Not an option on the CX-5. It is her car, but I picked the color: Solar Red. Gas mileage so-so

The dash layout is very well placed. It kind of looks old school.

Memory seats!!!! Memory seats!!!! More comfortable front seat, and maybe reclining rear seats.

Nice small suv, not good on gas
By robinlewes

2014 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my CX-5 last summer after doing a lot of research to find a small suv that would get good gas mileage. I thought I had made the right decision but now I'm thinking I made somewhat of a mistake. I like most things about this car, the way it handles and it's comfort and convenience but mine is getting lousy gas mileage. Mazda claims I should get 26/35 but I'm generally only getting 20mpg! Even my dealership was questioning this low mileage. They have checked the car over but found nothing wrong suggesting that I use a better grade of gas. I did so but it made no difference. My BMW 325i I traded got better. I'm really thinking of trading this car as I'm disappointed in Mazda's claims.

Very comfortable ride even on a longer trip. Very convenient for me as I own a small business and I'm always buying tons of bulky stuff at Sam's Club. I love the Bluetooth and hands free feature. Stereo sounds good. Good visibility. Love the blind spot monitoring ( I think all cars should have that). I like the back up camera too. All and all, it's a nice little suv with a sporty look that some don't have and plenty of head room.

I think Mazda needs to improve on the gas mileage unless it's a problem only with my car. They could also improve on instrumentation. The knobs for the radio are extremely small and lack any kind of grip, especially for a guys' fingers. Also, I feel that the doors are a bit tinny. My sister's Honda CRV feels more solid.