Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Mix bag
By Sinai

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car almost three years ago.First owner was an old guy, so I think he didn't drive it too harsh. during past three years I had to change the whole Starter package, whole AC compressor and accessories, front struts, windshield wipers water pump ( its broken again) and replaced the battery twice. CD player may work only occasionally and can not read half of the tracks for no good reason. I changed the front shock absorbers, and it just got a little better for a while,, its just driving me crazy that how noisy and uncomfortable the car is over small bumps. I took care of the car really good and still its not reliable. when I bought the car it had 93000 miles on it and now its ~ 117000. thats stupid,,, I won't ever but any Hyundai products and will not recommend it to anybody.

No belt Chain for timing
By Louis

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We owned it since new 190000 still going of course you have to maintain where parts but if your looking for a used car I would recommend this year since it was built in USA plant I have the LX and I'm handy when it comes to doing my own repairs .

Love it and Hate it
By rrankin90

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since 2011. It only had 7,000 miles when I purchased it. Obviously Grandma Moses owned it first! I love the ride, drive, and comfort of seats for rides lasting less than four hours. Anything over that and my back begins to hurt. The only thing I can actually say that I HATE about the car is the constant need to replace light bulbs. From headlight bulbs, break lights, and the bulbs over the license plate. Ugh!!! Many are easy to change and I've made my own way of changing them. Others... Not so much. Almost two hours to change the high mount bulb in the back window. Other than that I love it and will definitely buy another!!!

Interior features and quality of leather upholstery. Powerful V6 engine without compromising gas mileage too much. Smooth ride and handling.

Make the bulbs easier to change!!! I know the car is 9 years old. But make an improvement for the newer models. That's one thing I looked at in the new Sonata; how easy is it to change the freaking bulbs!!!!!

Buikd quality Misses
By muddie36

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There are certain build quality issues with Hyundai and I believe that this was good first serious attempt to challenge Toyota and Honda. But the cup holders are horrible and should have never ever made it to production. What was hyundai thinking? One can only assume that Koreans think that every drink Americans have are supersized big gulfs? (they did address this with the 2010 updates). The Sunvisor breaking arm issue should have been a recall and not a TSB. The Sunvisor arm breaks and then comes down while you are driving, so I guess it's okay that the visor comes down and blocks your view causing an accident. And the final pet peeve are the break lig

Handling, interior comfort, ride.

Cup holders, AC controls, access to rear taillights, Sun visor arm breaking. Cost to own is very high for the six.

230,000 mile road dog
By guest101

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance.
I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Fully loaded, very reliable! Would definitely purchase another Sonata