Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love it and Hate it
By rrankin90

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since 2011. It only had 7,000 miles when I purchased it. Obviously Grandma Moses owned it first! I love the ride, drive, and comfort of seats for rides lasting less than four hours. Anything over that and my back begins to hurt. The only thing I can actually say that I HATE about the car is the constant need to replace light bulbs. From headlight bulbs, break lights, and the bulbs over the license plate. Ugh!!! Many are easy to change and I've made my own way of changing them. Others... Not so much. Almost two hours to change the high mount bulb in the back window. Other than that I love it and will definitely buy another!!!

Interior features and quality of leather upholstery. Powerful V6 engine without compromising gas mileage too much. Smooth ride and handling.

Make the bulbs easier to change!!! I know the car is 9 years old. But make an improvement for the newer models. That's one thing I looked at in the new Sonata; how easy is it to change the freaking bulbs!!!!!

Buikd quality Misses
By muddie36

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There are certain build quality issues with Hyundai and I believe that this was good first serious attempt to challenge Toyota and Honda. But the cup holders are horrible and should have never ever made it to production. What was hyundai thinking? One can only assume that Koreans think that every drink Americans have are supersized big gulfs? (they did address this with the 2010 updates). The Sunvisor breaking arm issue should have been a recall and not a TSB. The Sunvisor arm breaks and then comes down while you are driving, so I guess it's okay that the visor comes down and blocks your view causing an accident. And the final pet peeve are the break lig

Handling, interior comfort, ride.

Cup holders, AC controls, access to rear taillights, Sun visor arm breaking. Cost to own is very high for the six.

230,000 mile road dog
By guest101

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance. I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Fully loaded, very reliable! Would definitely purchase another Sonata

Outstanding value, power and handling
By aseries

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

V6 is powerful and quiet. Sound system is pretty good for 2006. Most reliable vehicle I have owned in 50 years. Very cool oil filter location. Excellent highway handling, very maneuverable. All-around good performance. Good visibility. Good fuel mileage.

Driver's seat lacks side support and is too soft. Seat belt warning chime is too loud. The stock sound system lacks flexibility. Heater takes a long time to put out heat in Minnesota winters.

Six Years and Still Happy Customer
By danbro1

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my 2006 Sonata LX. I purchased it new in 2006 and have had two minor warranty repairs, a power window malfunction and an ignition key issue. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 4M miles. I have about 55M miles on the car.

The V6 engine REALLY is powerful. Even if you are travelling 70 mph and hit the accelerator, your head will snap back - it's that good. At 55M miles - no problems. A good performance record.

My number one biggest complaint about my Sonata is the ROAD NOISE! Really, really noisy car on the highway. The tires sound like they are in the cabin with you. My second biggest complaint is the poor quality AM radio they install in their cars. VERY POOR. I get static on the 50M watt stations in town. I dislike the seat belt alarm. It is incessant. You can't sit in your car with the engine running with transmission in "Park".