Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Too Loud and Although Mostly City MPG Averages 28/30
By alabamaautoguy

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Hi! You're probably getting ready to upgrade or make that big purchase for the first time. As a new Hyundai owner I don't recommend the Elantra or any Hyundai because of the noise (you can hear the engine when you hit the gas), it doesn't get that great of gas mileage (always look at the bottom city number and think that most of the time), the way it wears (I'm worried how it will feel in a couple years), the weird policy of Hyundai to replace things rather than make them good in the beginning, no spare tire, etc.

Favorite Features

Color, SiriusXM Radio

Suggested Improvements

Make less noisy, use better quality materials, include a spare tire, improve city MPG, make digital speedometer, make more comfy feeling on the back of the seats, hoping it wears much les overall than the 2009 model

Not happy!
By 2424

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have 20000 miles on my elantra. the first 600 miles I followed the recommended break-in procedure from the owners manual. I drive conservatively and always have eco on. I average 22 to 24 mpg city. very disappointing. dealer checked it out and said all specs were normal. I was doing almost that well with my sonata. My trunk latch and glove compartment have had to be replaced. Noise from front brakes that dealer could not solve. Pads are good. So all in all, I wish I had kept my sonata.

Favorite Features

voice activated phone system.

Suggested Improvements

Center console was better with two separate compartments. was replaced with sliding arm rest which I find useless. Almost impossible to lower back seats except from trunk. trunk latch was stuck so back seats could not be lowered to look in trunk. dealer takes whole back seat out to get in. So add a strap into the cabin to lower seats. had one in my sonata.

Happy with my purchase!
By johnbaptist

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I previously owned a 2005 Elantra and was so happy with it that I stuck with Hyundai. Right off the bat, you can tell the appearance was really stepped up from prior model--and even compared to other cars in class. It looks very sleek and sporty, making it look more expensive than it really is. Additionally, the actual gas mileage (while admittedly a complaint of many reviewers) is still an improvement over previous models. Elantras used to be less fuel-efficient than Honda Civics but now they are equal. That was one reason I opted out of the Civic this time. I have reached the 1000 mile mark and so far I am averaging 33 mpg. Broken down, I get 20-25 mpg city, and 35-40 mpg highway.

Favorite Features

The interior 2-tone color (tan/black) looks sweet, especially with the white exterior. As a taller guy, I often have problems with headroom but this car has plenty of space. The front seats can actually be lowered unlike earlier Elantra models. The trunk is huge as well.

Suggested Improvements

I do find the ride a bit noisy. When your feet are on the floorboard or gas pedal you can feel lots of vibrations and grinding. This is pretty much my only complaint.

Not Happy
By sem103

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 05.14.2013 had it in the shop for bluetooth not downloading contacts, delivered with scratch on glove box door and window tint not done properly on 05.24.2013, windows retinted, glove box door replaced bluetooth problem not fixed. The way vehicle drove seemed odd took a few weeks to get use to it, noticed it was pulling to the right and the steering wheel was not centered and extensive wear on left front tire. Bluetooth still will not download contacts have tried several different phones. Dealership told me that steering wheel and pulling to right would not be covered by warranty, even though it has driven that way since i got it with 65 miles on it. Making another appointment.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls, power seat and automatic headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure all components are working before you sell the car and move cup holders in front.

Horrible car
By genesiscoupe7

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the limited 2013 brand new and it has had problems from day. Not to mention they lied about the MPG, and now there is a recall for the car. Also when you step on the brakes hard the whole car sounds like its about to fall apart. Stay away from Hyundai's they are not what they used to be. THey are having problems with all of their cars now. You will see massive recalls and their business will go down. THey are pushing leases now so people dont realize what junk they bought.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, recalls, power, better radio, bigger gas tank.