Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Car great, Han Kook tires not so great.
By jeff1235

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2007 for 5 yrs until I got my 2013. Other than 3 radios put in, and at year 5 I did have some minor problems such as a back door handle broke internally and problems rolling up a back window. However the real problem was with the Han Kook tires. 3 of my 4 original tires got flats, one literally from what could only be called a large splinter. After 2.5 years I ended up replacing all 4 tires. Fast fwd to 2013. My nitro filled tires. I had my car 6 months. I notice the tire light go on. Sure enough I had a leak. I took it in for an oil change, looked at and told me I needed a new tire! The leak was too high to patch. All they had in stock Han Kooks. Han Suck! Loud on highway, tires?

I like how it looks. After 1 year, I am averaging about 30 in the city, and near 40 on the highway.

It's kind of loud on the highway, but that may be the poor quality Han Koock tires. I think higher quality factory tires would be a real improvement. They aren't very good in the snow either. I've learned to slow way down when the roads are slippery.

Don't believe the gas mileage hype
By rws0292

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a 2013 Elantra Limited under the premise that I would be getting a fuel efficient vehicle for a decent price. I traded a 2012 Camaro to make this deal as I travel 65 miles a day to work and back in hybrid traffic. I drive pretty conservatively and live in Florida which is predominately flat. With the first 1,000 miles down, I am getting 25.4 MPG which is a far cry from the 28C-38H-32Hybrid they are so fond of telling you about. My Camaro was getting 20.6 hybrid, so I gained far less car with no real savings. The Elantra is a great car for what it is, but if you are seeking this vehicle solely for gas mileage, don't make the mistake. You won't see the stated mileage.

Solid technology and good features for a good price.

Either make the car fuel efficient or give the gas mileage figures to your customers in real life. It's a complete disservice to advertise the wonderful mileage that is only achievable in a lab experiment. Y'all aren't even close to realistic.

Been driven hard in 1 year
By donjo13

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 in Sept 2012. I am a courier and drive 250 miles a day. At this point in time I have 62000 miles on it here in NC. So far it has been a very reliable car and I have only had to replace one tire. The main complaint I have about it is the engine is very noisy. I have had it to the Hyundai dealer twice and they say its normal operation. I know its not because it didn't sound this bad when I bought it. When the car starts up for the 1st time each day it knocks like it has no oil for the 1st 3 miles or so. I have changed the oil regularly and use synthetic. I even left it overnight at the dealer so they could start it in the morning and here what I am saying.

I really like the overage look of the car and the fit and finish.I have hard time keeping stains of the cloth seat as I eat in the car when I drive being a courier. The XM radio sounds great although sometimes it stops working and I have to turn off the car, let it sit for a minute and open and close the drivers door and it comes back on. I was told by XM this is normal for this radio. The mp3s and CDs could be louder. More wattage would help. I am getting over 40 mpgs on the highway which has gone up about 3 mpgs from 6 months ago.

More wattage in the radio, quieter engine, better paint in the interior pieces that are painted. My steering wheel gray paint is wearing off terrible on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't have the radio buttons on mine, just all buttons on the right side of the wheel. The shiny black paint around the radio and console are hard to keep looking good and seem like any time you wipe them off you leave streaks.

2013 Hyundai acceleration malfunction
By torry4

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

2013 Hyundai Elantra unsafe to drive, accelertion malfunction. I have purchased a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra which has accelerated unexpectedly 2 times and the last time, the car was not able to be stopped before it crashed into a concrete wall. We have had the car checked by Hyundai through their 6 week process and they have come back to us with a letter stating nothing was wrong. When we asked for a copy of the testing they said they were proprietary and they could not give me a copy. Where do you go from here?

So Sorry I Bought One
By citrushtsgirl

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I needed a good gas mileage low cost car to get to for work as my top priority. I got a little over what I wanted in payments, not bad but here is the worst part. It gets 19mpg on my commute and 17 if I am late and racing the car. Going back to the dealer they just point out on the sticker (I kept) that even though it says 30-40, in very small print by that it says 13-99mpg. Best vehicle rates 112 mpg's. Depends on how you drive. I just go to work and back! The cars do not come with spares & during my deal I was told they don't make them. So no offer was ever made to get me one. The next day I called back and they said they would sell me one.

None. I thought it was going to be an Ecomony (ECO) button you put in the car, to save on gas, but I was told by the next dealer (owned by the same owner) that you need to commute short distances in the city without that button on! What's the point?

Quit lying!!!!- to customers stating that you will get 30 city 40 Hwy. Do not sell anyone a car without a spare and tell them the cars are not made anymore with the compartments for them. Offer the customer a choice to buy one if they want. Do not ignore letters to the owner of the dealerships when they need help. Do not offer to sell a spare tire to anyone after they bought the car! Stop the cloud of white gunk that gets on the inside windows constantly! Put an ashtray in there for us "nonsmokers" who need a little place for garbage. What about smokers?