Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Been driven hard in 1 year
By donjo13

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 in Sept 2012. I am a courier and drive 250 miles a day. At this point in time I have 62000 miles on it here in NC. So far it has been a very reliable car and I have only had to replace one tire. The main complaint I have about it is the engine is very noisy. I have had it to the Hyundai dealer twice and they say its normal operation. I know its not because it didn't sound this bad when I bought it. When the car starts up for the 1st time each day it knocks like it has no oil for the 1st 3 miles or so. I have changed the oil regularly and use synthetic. I even left it overnight at the dealer so they could start it in the morning and here what I am saying.

I really like the overage look of the car and the fit and finish.I have hard time keeping stains of the cloth seat as I eat in the car when I drive being a courier. The XM radio sounds great although sometimes it stops working and I have to turn off the car, let it sit for a minute and open and close the drivers door and it comes back on. I was told by XM this is normal for this radio. The mp3s and CDs could be louder. More wattage would help. I am getting over 40 mpgs on the highway which has gone up about 3 mpgs from 6 months ago.

More wattage in the radio, quieter engine, better paint in the interior pieces that are painted. My steering wheel gray paint is wearing off terrible on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't have the radio buttons on mine, just all buttons on the right side of the wheel. The shiny black paint around the radio and console are hard to keep looking good and seem like any time you wipe them off you leave streaks.

2013 Hyundai acceleration malfunction
By torry4

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

2013 Hyundai Elantra unsafe to drive, accelertion malfunction. I have purchased a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra which has accelerated unexpectedly 2 times and the last time, the car was not able to be stopped before it crashed into a concrete wall. We have had the car checked by Hyundai through their 6 week process and they have come back to us with a letter stating nothing was wrong. When we asked for a copy of the testing they said they were proprietary and they could not give me a copy. Where do you go from here?

So Sorry I Bought One
By citrushtsgirl

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I needed a good gas mileage low cost car to get to for work as my top priority. I got a little over what I wanted in payments, not bad but here is the worst part. It gets 19mpg on my commute and 17 if I am late and racing the car. Going back to the dealer they just point out on the sticker (I kept) that even though it says 30-40, in very small print by that it says 13-99mpg. Best vehicle rates 112 mpg's. Depends on how you drive. I just go to work and back! The cars do not come with spares & during my deal I was told they don't make them. So no offer was ever made to get me one. The next day I called back and they said they would sell me one.

None. I thought it was going to be an Ecomony (ECO) button you put in the car, to save on gas, but I was told by the next dealer (owned by the same owner) that you need to commute short distances in the city without that button on! What's the point?

Quit lying!!!!- to customers stating that you will get 30 city 40 Hwy. Do not sell anyone a car without a spare and tell them the cars are not made anymore with the compartments for them. Offer the customer a choice to buy one if they want. Do not ignore letters to the owner of the dealerships when they need help. Do not offer to sell a spare tire to anyone after they bought the car! Stop the cloud of white gunk that gets on the inside windows constantly! Put an ashtray in there for us "nonsmokers" who need a little place for garbage. What about smokers?

Too Loud and Although Mostly City MPG Averages 28/30
By alabamaautoguy

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Hi! You're probably getting ready to upgrade or make that big purchase for the first time. As a new Hyundai owner I don't recommend the Elantra or any Hyundai because of the noise (you can hear the engine when you hit the gas), it doesn't get that great of gas mileage (always look at the bottom city number and think that most of the time), the way it wears (I'm worried how it will feel in a couple years), the weird policy of Hyundai to replace things rather than make them good in the beginning, no spare tire, etc.

Color, SiriusXM Radio

Make less noisy, use better quality materials, include a spare tire, improve city MPG, make digital speedometer, make more comfy feeling on the back of the seats, hoping it wears much les overall than the 2009 model

Not happy!
By 2424

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have 20000 miles on my elantra. the first 600 miles I followed the recommended break-in procedure from the owners manual. I drive conservatively and always have eco on. I average 22 to 24 mpg city. very disappointing. dealer checked it out and said all specs were normal. I was doing almost that well with my sonata. My trunk latch and glove compartment have had to be replaced. Noise from front brakes that dealer could not solve. Pads are good. So all in all, I wish I had kept my sonata.

voice activated phone system.

Center console was better with two separate compartments. was replaced with sliding arm rest which I find useless. Almost impossible to lower back seats except from trunk. trunk latch was stuck so back seats could not be lowered to look in trunk. dealer takes whole back seat out to get in. So add a strap into the cabin to lower seats. had one in my sonata.