2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Deplorable Gas Mileage
By metzrob on 02/01/13 12:57 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I am getting under 30 MPG on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra while doing 55 MPH on the highway and using cruise control. They respond to your emails with big promises, but then they just disappear and think that you will magically become a satisfied, and silent, customer. I'm neither satisfied nor silent. I estimate that I have steered at least 15-20 people away from Hyundai and I will try to warn as many people as i can in the future.

Deplorable Gas Mileage
By metzrob on 01/31/13 15:30 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I am getting horrible gas mileage on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra. It is under 30 MPG while doing 55 MPH using cruise control on an open highway. The dealership treats me like a moron and promises me the moon and then thinks I will just disappear and somehow magically become a satisfied customer if they do nothing. The mileage rebate program is woefully insufficient. People need to know that these cars are not good on mileage to say the least.

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER HYUNDAI!
By mchunter on 01/08/13 05:27 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We are very disappointed in this car. 17,000 miles in, the car developed a blown headgasket. Service manager said bolts were loose from the factory. Hyundai area rep. tried to blame this on us, saying we had let the car overheat, although the car had never got hot. Why would a new car overheat anyway? While being fixed, dealer found timing chain tensioner was loose also. Kept smelling antifreeze later and dealer found hoses with pinholes. 35,000 miles now and car is making a popping noise in the front end and our mileage has dropped from averaging 35mpg to 29mpg. We bought this car, because of mileage and Hyundai quality supposedly being better now, but it is the last one we will ever own!

Follow up on my 2012 Elantra Limited
By rt129 on 12/29/12 21:25 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I wrote a year ago about my gas mileage being poor. This winter is colder than last in PA, so based on cold winters with my '08 I am more disappointed. My '12 is averaging 21.5 / 23.5 per gallon. My '08 Elantra SE averaged 25 / 26.5 per gallon in the cold PA winters. Warmer weather my '12 gets 28.5 / 30 per gallon where as my '08 averaged 30 / 31 per gallon (Same driving approx 65% highway / 35% city). On long trips, the '08 would average 36 where as my '12 managed 34. This is my 4th Elantra and by far the worst for fuel economy. When it comes time to purchase a new car, I may have to look elsewhere (Love the car but disappointed by Hyundai and the way they are handling this situation).

Wow, no thanks to the Elantra
By rickpettry on 12/11/12 10:24 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Wow So disappointed in the Elantra. I talked my wife into selling her 10 year old Honda and buying a used Elantra. I wanted her to have a car with low mileage and a warranty. sometimes I have to leave town for work and I wanted to make sure she had no problems. while I was at the Dealership. I looked at the new 2012 Elantra. I under stand that the car would not get the estimated mileage on the sticker. but the salesman talked me into trading my car in based on the money I would save buying the new Hyundai. Here is what I fount out. the Elantra only get gets 3 more miles to the gallon than my other car. it dose not get the mileage the sales person told us. what I gave up is handling. comfort, and more. I am saving about $20.00 a month. the car has so much road noise I have to crank up the stereo to here it. the stereo. is one of the worst I have had. I swear I can hear the wind blowing through my windshield right above the rear view mirror. the seats are not very comfortable, my last car was a better car, and only had 50,000 miles on it. this car is not comfortable especially for long road trips. my wife's Elantra wow. this car came with the Hyundai. certified used car warranty. all 4 tires were bald on the inside. so you couldn't see it. it was out of alignment. and we just found out the Transmission Had never been serviced.. and now it has a electrical problem. the Car only has 40,000 miles on it. that over $700.00 we had to put into a certified used car. this car gets less mileage that her 10 year old civic. and also has more road noise, ect. Now her interior is more comfortable than my new car and she cant ride in my car for long periods of time. she has a bad back. I only had 1 year left to pay off my other car. then I would have about 4 to five years of no payments. I would take that money and save it for my next. car. i figured to have my last car 8 to ten years, and then buy another new car. this way it keeps my payment down. Now I get a letter stating Hyundai will give me credit for the mileage the car doesn't get, great. that doesn't solve the the comfort, and other problems I have with this car. If I trade it in on sothing else I will take a loss. I cant see having this car for 10 years. Thanks Rick Pettry

update from 6 months ago
By utahandjazz on 12/01/12 05:58 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is an update from a review i wrote 6 months ago. We now have 12000 miles on our elantra and gas milage has only improved about 1 mpg...from 22/32 to 23/33. VERY DISAPPOINTED! We took into dealer to try to improve milage and they couldnt find anything wrong. The milage indicator also does not tell the truth for the milage. When i check it with actual miles per tank and divide the gallons put in, it is about 2 mpg off. This car is horrible on ice...not sure if it is the car or the tires they put on it in the factory, but dealership said they are all-season? We dont feel safe with the kids in this car when the weather is bad. NOT HAPPY FOR THE MONEY SPENT!

Great value
By chapelthrill23 on 11/01/12 15:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is an excellent car for the money and shows just how far the economy game has advanced. It is not a sporty car to drive nor is it a smooth luxury ride but it does exactly what it is meant to do and that is to be an excellent commuter car. It is spacious, comfortable, cheap to buy, has features like XM and heated seats that are wonderful on the commute, and gets solid gas mileage. The interior and exterior styling are excellent. Reliability is something that is still tough to determine. Through 25,000 miles it has been good mechanically but there was an issue with a sunroof leak. Overall it has been a good choice and made a lot more sense than spending more on a Civic that had less stuff

Frustrated w/ 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited
By withpaul on 10/28/12 01:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the car in September 2011 (2012). The car is light blue, fun to drive as long as it's working. Rear view camera quite often doesn't work when in reverse. Rear back panel under the windshield became sticky jelly so it was replaced but the shop messed up the glass under the tail light. The rear seat began to fail taking another 4 hours to replace. The steering wheel began to peel - within 6 months became a mess so it was replaced. Navigation system with voice as you all know is junk. Satellite Radio is ok. Bluetooth doesn't always work. There's a tapping sound from the engine on start up and when freeway driving on cold days. Leaking oil from oil pan seal when only shop serviced.

Average vehicle
By fshifteh on 10/27/12 00:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Elantra for almost a year and 18000 miles into the service I am in a position to provide some feedback. As far as the gas mileage I am resigned to the fact that the vehicle is going to give me avearage 26-27 in mixed city/highway driving. At this time I have found a couple of things that are annoying and I wonder if other owners face the same issues: 1) When coming to stop the shifter gear makes a clicking noise. I have taken this to the dealer and they replaced the shifter solenoid but it hasn't entirely resolved it and I still get the noise most the time when the vehicle is coming to stop. Another issue is the clicking noise from front left tire when driving over certain bump

Nice Car.. Could use some improvments
By lorisue02 on 08/20/12 11:10 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in April new and now almost have 17,000 miles on it. I drive a lot and for the most part I love the car. Recently the steering wheel started to peal in a certain spot and the dealership installed a new one with no questions. The backseat has heated seats but when you put on air/heat there are no vents in the back which makes it uncomfortable if you have people in the back since it has to be too hot/ cold in the front so it blows to the back.. The cruise control is really sensitive if I hit a little bump on the highway it flips it right off (which might just be a safety precaution).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$126 per month*