2012 GLS Elantra w/preferred pkg
By mrsrochester on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
So far, I love this car. I bought it 6/5/11 to replace a 2000 Ford Escort ZX2. I started my search by test-driving a 2012 Ford Focus, Chevy Cruz, Mazda3, and the Hyundai Elantra. In the end I went with the Elantra because, for the amount of money I could spend on a car, it had the most features (bluetooth, xm, tilt/telescopic wheel, cruise control, auto mirror w/ homelink, ipod jack) for the most reasonable cost. It also had the best leg room, which surprised me. I am finally able to have adult passengers in my back seat w/out having to send them to the chiropractor after a road trip.
Favorite Features
I like that adding the bluetooth with steering wheel controls did not put the cost of the car through the roof, as it seemed to do on the other cars I looked at. I also really like the large back seat with cup holders. It was not something I expected in a car this size. It also gets very good mpg. I do mostly local driving, very short trips of less than 5 miles, as I live very close to where I work, and the mpgs, though not as high as the estimated, are still very good. I live just outside Pittsburgh, surrounded by hills, so I kind of expected that. The trunk space is also more than adequate for my needs. And putting down the back seat to haul longer items is so easy.
Suggested Improvements
I only wish that the seats, at least the driver's seat, had more cushioning at the base of the back and in the front of the seat where it meets my knees. I'm short (5'3") but I think on a long road trip this would be very uncomfortable. But compared to all the reasons I chose my car, it's not that big a deal.
By litesong2
on 12/22/11 20:32 PM (PST)

"I am finally able to have adult passengers in my back seat w/out having to send them to the chiropractor after a road trip." Great rear seat legroom AND the widest rear seat shoulder room of ANY car getting 40mpg. Being a small car person, the Elantra would give me mpg & comfort for rear seat passengers! Now to wait for a 2-door coupe or an Elantra hatchback.