2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: It's been fairly reliable so f

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

It's been fairly reliable so far
By John on

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in Dec 01. So far, no MAJOR issues with the car; it's been mechanically sound and reliable at 104K miles. The couple of times I took the car in for warranty-related work, the dealer refused and wanted me to pay (it was electrical issue). Seems like warranty work is a hit/miss with dealers. I've had only minor annoying electrical problems so far, like the dash clock not working (took it apart and repaired myself), turn signal switch intermittent (repaired myself), side mirror heaters no longer work, air blower switch position 1 doesn't work, several bulbs in the dash burned out (including the headlights numerous times). Steering vibrates at above 60 MPH intermittently.

I like the simple but functional interior of the car, it has decent acceleration, it's fairy comfortable for long drives (seats very supportive), AC works incredibly well, trunk space is big, it's quiet inside even at upper highway speeds, I even like the soft suspension for the smooth ride.

Hyundai, you need to honor your promised long warranty. Having read numerous posting here about denied warranty, I can relate. The only "warranty" that was honored was the airbag light problem AFTER I had already paid for repairs. All other work I thought should be warranty related, denied.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review