Used 2011 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Not too satisfied, problem at low mileage
By Homer

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this mini van 2011 brand new and it was running good at first and when it reach 15,000 miles the problem started on steering and creaking noise on front right of the vehicle everytime it turns and third problem the battery only last for almost 3 years and needed to be replaced right away. Dealership ended up fixing the problem for us due to the car is still under warranty. Its unbelievable that on 15,000 miles you can hear this noise problem on your steering to think that we dont use our van on long driving just city driving and we take care of our vehicles very well and especially when it comes with the maintenance. And when it reached 30,000 miles the same problem came back again (steering noise) and it sucks because our vehicle is no longer under warranty and I can imagine how much money you gonna pay if you will fix that at the honda dealership. Now It makes me compare on the vehicles we have, we own 2007 4runner sport with a 107,000 miles on it and until now we never experienced any problem with that car especially the steering problem, no major issues, just need to change tires and thats it. Its just makes me think if we still gonna buy honda cars in the future, probably not. I dont mind paying more if your vehicle is reliable all the time like my other vehicles. Base on our experience were not really satisfied on the vehicle that we got due to its problem at very low mileage, our van is 5 years old now at 30,000 miles ( low mileage ) and it makes me think if honda are still gona take care of our problem. Its just not good enough.

Last honda
By Ian

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Hondas are over rated for some reason. I haven't faced any major issues with this minivan but it has a lot of minor issues. I bought it new in 2010 and keep all maintenance current.

Cons:
1) Battery management system acted up within a few months of purchase. Honda updated the software and supposedly fixed the issue of constant system warning, but I think they just turned the system completely off.
2) Jerky transmission, just like the previous civic I owned. How can they keep rolling these out of factory with this issue and then issue crappy TSBs and expect me to pay for this non-sense?
3) Climate control has it's own mind. Full automated mode works well. AC is not obedient when used in manual mode.
4) Steering noise every 6 months and needs to be greased.
5) Battery drained completely when I left the key in ACC mode by mistake. I owned a 2011 Maxima and that was smart to shut off after 30 mins when engine not running to prevent battery drain. Why such a small battery and not put the biggest battery on this monster van? It has tons of power equipment which drain a lot.
6 ) Worst brakes I have ever experienced. Rotors warped quickly. Upgraded stoptech/brembo rotors worked much better.
7) Worst navigation system that has no touch screen and voice control is just primitive.

Pros:
1) Hauls a lot of people and stuff.
2) Decent highway gas mileage.
3) Good highway ride (when tranny not shifting).
4) Seats are comfortable for long rides.

Overpriced and overrated just because of it's brand I think. Lot of room for improvements. Honda is far behind in innovation and refinement. Their advanced features are far behind competition and designed poorly. I feel sorry to have dished out 40k on this and having to deal with all the crap from American Honda and their Stealerships. Hope this van runs for 6 more years without major issues as I got to live with the minor ones.

Other than the head restraint...
By ER

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first and only minivan. I went into the dealership to purchase a Honda Pilot based on liking my friend's so much. Well, the new model rode so rough I changed my mind. Well, the salesman slid me right into an Odyssey...I loved everything about it! I was shocked how much I immediately liked it! I drove it for quite some time that day. It even got two thumbs up from my son who easily gets car sickness in the third row. The room, the comfort (except for the ill angled head rests), the power doors and lift gate, the roominess in the 2nd and 3rd rows, the flexibility of the technology, the large cargo space.....everything. I loved it so much I did some quick research on my phone then I completely tossed aside my stigma of driving a minivan and signed the papers. The only technical difficulties I have had have been the driver's side sliding door can be temperamental and the lift gate sometimes doesn't go down automatically when button is depressed. Both issues have been extremely intermittent and are an annoyance. It does have more road noise than I was used to as well. I have had no problems other problems listed by others. I have replaced the tires and the battery. However, I will say the driver's seat has become increasing uncomfortable for me. It started with the test drive when I noticed the oddly angled head 'restraints', certainly not rests, and thought I could get used to them....NOPE. The seat has grown increasingly uncomfortable for me despite any of the adjustments I have made. I have since learned I do have back problems, unrelated to the seat, but it sure didn't help. Let me say I have owned a large variety of cars/trucks '68-2011; Chevy, Ford, Landcruiser, Saturn, VW, Lincoln, and Dodge. I can say this is the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. It is causing me to look at a trade in due to the seat however, I learned this angle is a recent Federal mandate in hopes of lessening whiplash. I have a feeling I'll be looking at used 2011 and older. It pains me to let go due to sentimental attachment and how well this van still fits our family but the pain has got to go. I had planned on driving it until the wheels fall off! Until then, I will continue to use my supportive and corrective seat and back support pillows. Two friends have purchased the exact same vehicle, are much shorter than 5'6'' and have had the same complaints: sore back, leg numbness, tailbone pain, and general discomfort so while I have back trouble this does point to an uncomfortable driver's seat.

Constant Front brake issues
By Dman760

2011 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has numerous front brake issues. The front rotors are too small for the vehicle so they overheat and warp about every 15,000 Miles. Honda will do nothing about it and they refuse to fix it for free. Other than this I love this van.

Time for Honda to leave America in my opinion
By shorty73

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have two Honda Odysseys a 2011 elite and a 2005 touring. Honda dealerships will not stand behind either one. The 2005 has problems with needing a motor mount due to virbration from variable cylindar management system. Had tires for life if I had maintenance done at the dealer. Went through 4 sets of michelins. None got over 30,000 miles. Honda made dealers by a 30,000 tire changing machine and my tires (free for life started costing me 340 dollars for each new set.
Bought a service contract from Honda dealer and after two years had to replace two windshields. The policy (and after market warranty) did not cover OEM parts. Now I own a Hybrid part Honda and part Aftermarket crap. Having strut problems; not covered. Now at 104,000 miles I am having a third transmission installed. The first gave up the ghost about a year ago. It was under warranty. But due to the warranty Conyers Honda Dealer sold me (a very poor aftermarket, not a Honda Care Warranty, I am getting a third transmission from the same outfit that supplied the the second transmission that failed after 2,000 miles. I am still having trouble finding out if my air bags in the 2011 are defective. This trip back to get the third transmission I am going to revisit the brake caliper problem that I was having at 60-80 thousand mile. Buffiting when putting the brakes on at high speed. They stated that they replaced the caliper. It did not fix the problem and was never fixed. I have had the rotors turned twice and so that's not it. So the question becomes did they really replace the caliper. Each time the warranty company supplies a rebuilt transmission it takes an inordinate amount of time, weeks. Thanks for allowing me to post. I hope this helps someone.