2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Transmission Failed
By mykidsmom1 on 11/09/11 10:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Odyssey new from the dealer (had to preorder because they were in such demand?) NHTSA tranny recall @ dealer 8/2004 w/39,000 miles. Last week, with 164,000 highway miles (never TOWED) slipping btween 2nd & 3rd gears & lock up 2x on busy highway. Extremely scary could have been hit and killed. Dealer diagnosed "internal transmission failure". American Honda is useless & tried blaming us. Dealer agreed to discount AFTER we asked, they never offered. Inherent well-documented serious tranny problem. Shame on Honda. Just traded our '93 Ford Aerostar w/just 157K miles & never had tranny problem. Wonder why Hyundai is America's #1 Car Dealer....No more Hondas for us!!!

Why all the negative comments?
By happyhondaowner on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2003 Odyssey EX-L we purchased new about 8 years ago has been a very good, reliable and enjoyable car. I read on the post about all transmission and door problems, etc. but we have not experienced those problems. We drive about 12k miles/year. I'm not saying we're lucky... I think we take care of our car with maintenance, with not driving it hard, etc. This was our first Honda and we don't have anything bad to say about it. It's plenty spacious for the family and all the trips and things we take with us. My 2 cents. it's a great car , but if you get a lemon, you'll have a sour taste in your mouth - (we must have got the cherry)!

Disappointed
By jchilds on 08/30/10 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a Chrysler Town & Country lease to pick this Odyssey up because of it's reliable reputation. Wrong! I purchased it with 106,000 miles and the transmission went yesterday at 112,000 miles stranding my wife and three kids 200 miles from home. $3000 later it will be fixed, but I must say I am very disappointed. Also, the stereo is terrible. I regret not getting another Chrysler.

Great Vehicle
By BertD on 08/14/10 06:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 7 years ago, will turn over 180k next week. Better fuel economy now than when new. Not uncommon to hit 25 mpg and it gets DRIVEN, mostly by my wife . Brake life incredible, tire life fantastic! No repairs, only recommended maintenance. If only we could tow it, 4 wheels down, behind our motor home it would be perfect. My wife will cry when she has to give it up. Going to look at a new CR-V today.

Still Wish I Had It
By Billw on 05/12/10 12:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just had my '03 EX-L totaled Monday. Had 122K on it, never a mechanical problem. Transmission recall done. Towed jet ski's, 21' Maxxum boat 150+ miles in Ozarks for years. Never a problem. Had problems with passenger sliding door. Had intermittent problems with steering wheel audio controls. Cabin was nosier than I'd prefer, but was bearable. Consistently achieved 25+ mpg on highway across I- 70 with family (4 persons) and luggage. Good in rain/snow for what it was; for lacking today's modern safety equipment. Motor mounts were suggested by dealer to be changed out at 90K, but independent mechanic said they were fine, showing some wear, but, didn't need to be replaced.

Honda Odyssey 2003 EXL
By tdoalamo on 04/06/10 20:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wonder what the new 2011 Honda Odyssey looks like. But couldn't wait until the fall. My kid needs to go vacation in the summer and the 2003 Honda Odyssey I have had way too old. Got broken transmission @ 120,000 miles. Now leaking steering wheel oil, just fixed it. Too much wind noise and road noise when driving a Honda car. I already looked at the 2011 Toyota Sienna and love it so much, quiet drive and interior room is awesome. Will go with the Toyota Minivan then 2011 Sienna.

Love Car, Hate Transmission
By Matt on 03/27/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car second hand from a local Honda dealer, and until recently I considered it the best car I have ever owned. This was my first Honda and I was so impressed with it that when the time came to replace my commuter car I purchased a new Civic. This was until the tranny started to act strange. Soon after the dash warning lights come on. A trip to the local mechanic confirmed that the transmission is throwing three separate failure codes and will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Internet search has shown me that these failures are commonplace and that I got more life than most out my transmission. I expected more from Honda.

knock on wood- no problems here.
By mom2edna on 01/21/10 11:56 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new in '03. It now has 85k miles. After reading about the transmission problems that others are having I feel pretty lucky. i haven't had any big issues with mine. Just this past week the passenger power window motor broke $200 repair. The sliding doors act up sometimes, but it usually happens when children & adults are pushing the auto open buttons and door handles/locks at the same time. The only other issue I've had is the radio controls on the steering wheel. I can't lower the volume-when I hit the button the radio gets louder. I also don't like the seek/scan that they have on the wheel. It only scrolls thru your pre-set stations rather than all the stations.

What problems?
By Christina H. on 12/04/09 13:26 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since the time I purchased my van I've NEVER had a single problem! When the recall for the transmission's second gear came up I took it in for repair immediately and it's run perfectly ever since. No lights came on unexpectedly, doors worked fine every time; I've always kept up with oil changes and yearly tune-ups; only invested in new brakes at 95,000 mi. (which was to be expected because I have a tendency to brake hard.)

Vanilla van
By Eric Barrows on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Old design no fun too big to park