Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great little car overall
By Ivan delgado

1999 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe

Good little car love it bought it with high mileage still runs strong vtec kicks in and puts a smile on your face 280,000 miles still takes 8000 rpm like a champ quick car holds up great

Great reliable car with puny engine
By Dylan

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

This car was a great first car for me. I drove the thing like heck and it stayed strong under me. I put about 50,000 miles on it and it only broke down once. That was for the fuel pump going out which was an easy quick fix. It always got me where i needed to be, even if it wasn't very quickly. Its 1.6L 4 cylinder engine isn't that impressive. Its fuel economy was alright but it was not very responsive in the pedal at all. The transmission as well was not that great at shifting. the whole time i had it the shifting was a bit rough and i assume it is just the technology and quality of the transmission. Despite those two things it still ran great and i enjoyed it. very reliable and comfortable.

Very Reliable !
By ozansan

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought a Honda Civic 1999 Dx in 2011 November, I Paid 3.000 $CAN The Mileage was 152.300 KM When I bought it I replaced the timing belt and water pump, Paid around
500 CAN$

the mileage now 197.300 km
and I had one one problem only Heater motor (Blower) I bough the part at used part shop , paid 40$ and Replaced myself ( I watched some videos on Youtube to replace it, Thank you Youtube )

Civics are safe in winter Because Front wheel drive and low

this days Civics are 1.8L but still would not buy a 1.8L Civic . if u have 3 or 4 passengers on up hill gives hard time to the driver .

Civics are safe in winter Because Front wheel drive and low and Very good on Gas , easy to fix , easy and cheap to maintain

If u want a civic my suggestion is go with SI And do not go with synthetic oil the performance goes very down after 5.000 km but use regular oil and add oil treatment make sure your timing belt and water pump are ok ! you need to replace them at the same time every 4 years or every 80.000km You might lose your engine because of timing belt failure 60$ belt might cause 5.000 $ :(

Bad idea..
By big_clocks

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a couple months ago thinking it would be a good investment because of how reliable civics are known to be and because of their gas mileage. Well, I get 30mpg all day, but this car has not been reliable for me. Had fuel issues when I bought it and now has a vacuum leak that has been impossible to trace, and my transmission shifts sloppy as well. Forgot to mention I bought this car with only 132k miles. Will definitely be staying away from civics from now on, only Honda I would own again is a Prelude, which I owned before this car. Stay away from this car unless you have money to throw into it.

None.

Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

I like the comfort. I got the LX which has power everything except seats. Drivers seat has many adjustments. This is as comfortable on long drives as a full sized car. I have driven it cross country several times and no problem with fatigue.

I would make the transmission adjustable as in when it shifts and how it shifts. The automatic trans is set up for performance. I would rather have economy.