Used 2012 GMC Acadia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Gmc Acadia - Consumer Reviews

2012 GMC Acadia SUV

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Transmission/Acceleration issues
By tdenny

2012 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Size, features, extras all were a perfect match for me and my family. We have 2 kids, now entering grade school, so the extra seat for carpool and their stuff was great, yet the car drives more like a minivan than a large SUV. Unfortunately, I've had the car for 3 months, the transmission seems to slip and jerk constantly and now, the most scary part - while accelerating from stop, the car sometimes takes 5 seconds to engage. This is 5 seconds for another car to T-Bone you in an intersection. My good wife dealt with it for several months, I experienced it myself this last week. Working with the dealer to return now.

Favorite Features

Captains chairs, 3rd row seats plus additional storage. Size is comfortable for me and my wife to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior components seem cheap. Too much plastic on the floor in the back of the car.

2012 Acadia SLT-2 AWD (Love it!)
By grandprixman

2012 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Pretty much every option besides the rear DVD system. Been driving this vehicle for just over 2 years. I'll have to say, it's the best riding vehicle that I've ever owned. Haven't had any mechanical issue with the vehicle, and I'm over 38,000 miles. There have been a couple minor recalls, but nothing that would prevent me from giving it a great review. Power is pretty good. The only thing I don't like is the gas mileage. It gets what it's suppose to, so I can't complain too much. And this thing weights over 6,000 lbs. Smooth ride, great interior, and no mechanical defects. Who could ask for anything more.

Favorite Features

Navigation, Bose sound system, back up camera, moon roof with rear glass top.

Suggested Improvements

If I were towing heavy loads, I'd probably like to see a larger V6, or even a V8 option. Other then that, this vehicle is solid.

Not for the snow
By danbruin

2012 GMC Acadia SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this SUV as a family hauler. We live in the Pacific Northwest so AWD is great for the rain. Problem is that the Denali mode does not allow for snow chains...ever. This was never told to us at the dealership and now we feel pretty stupid for not asking up front but it did not occur to us. Don't know if models with smaller rims might accommodate chains but don't upgrade to the Denali model is you want to spend any time in the snow.

Favorite Features

Interior finish

Suggested Improvements

we did not get the model with Nav as we do not need it. allowing a place to doc your phone would be better. The USB cable port is in a cubby on the top of the dash.

Jeckyl and Hyde
By bwilling

2012 GMC Acadia SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Decent ride, a bit underpowered but MPG ok. Very comfortable and tons of room even with three kids in the back. Seats take awhile to heat up. Big problem is with carbon monoxide. This vehicle sets off alarms in our house when started in the garage ( garage door open of course). Service dept is like a human rain delay in trying to get it fixed. Fot the 55k spent on top of the line we had many other choices, cant imagine them being any worse. When not thinking about the CO it rides nice.

Favorite Features

Sun roofs, lots of cup holders, great captain seats.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel version? Stop trying to poison our family! or at least have a clue on how to fix it.

Many great features, just one that's worrying me
By megant

2012 GMC Acadia SUV Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased out Acadia in June of this year. I'd had a Honda Pilot for 5 years, and while I really liked it, I wanted bucket seats in the second row and third row seating that was more easily accessible and was comfortable for adults-basically a minivan interior for seating without looking like a "mom-mobile" on the outside. The Acadia met these goals very nicely. We've put a lot of miles on it with our 9 year old son and it's been a very comfy ride. It's a beautiful vehicle, but the engine worries me. It can really hesitate when speeding up from a dead stop or slow speed-scary. It also isn't nearly as smooth in acceleration as my Honda was-a bit sluggish. A+ on everything but the engine-C.

Favorite Features

I wanted a much better rear ventilation system than my Pilot & this has a great one including ceiling vents. Great stereo & awesome rear entertainment system-movie theater sound! Very easy to steer. Huge rear compartment for luggage. Access to 3rd row seating by going between 2nd row bucket seats is great. Third row seating is actually comfy for adults. Love the auto rear gate. Lots of info available as you drive-tire pressures, mileage, etc. Good console storage. Nice heads up MPH display. Love the heated & COOLED front seats-awesome during this hot summer! Love the remote starter. Love the rear camera display & warnings-keeps me out of trouble when backing up this boat-no ship!! :-)

Suggested Improvements

What is wrong with this engine?? We took it back after the first month to have them check out why it hesitates sometimes when accelerating from slow speed or dead stop-nothing wrong, they said. Maybe I've been in Hondas & Nissans too long, but this engine just feels a little sluggish. There's this compartment on top of dash that has a port in it, but you can't see into it, nor is there a slot for the cord to go through so you can play your iPod music (you can't drive with it open). Interior "woodgrain" is a little cheesy. It's got every bell & whistle known to man, but side mirrors aren't heated. Front cup holders hug your drink so tight you can barely get them out.