Used 2012 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Gmc Acadia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

2012 Acadia SLT 1, AWD
By lltautomobile

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've now put 9,000 miles on the car after driving it for 9 months. Its performance is adequate, but can seem sluggish if you really need to accelerate quickly. MPG is below advertised at 19 highway and 15-17 in town. I do have the AWD so perhaps this is why. However my parents have the FWD version and they get 17-18/20-21 mpg which is also below advertised. My SLT 1 has heated front seats, but the passenger seat can only move front and back with manual lumbar support- it is obviously inferior to the driver seat, so if you plan on spending any time in the passenger seat, look to upgrade it.

Favorite Features

Seating is comfortable in the drivers seat with good lumbar support- (not as good as the subaru outback though, which I have found to be the most comfortable for my back). I'm 6ft and getting in and out of the vehicle is great with a slight step-up into the drivers seat. I like the fact that it seats 7. The kids fit fine on the back bench. I wish the middle captains chairs could come out though when more cargo space is needed. I have not driven it in heavy snow, but on snowpacked roads, it seems to grip well and I do not slide when accelerating. Of course stopping on ice is just like every other car. Its relatively quiet on the highway which I would rate above average.

Suggested Improvements

There needs to be more storage space in the back. Could there at least be a smaller version of the trunk well of minivans? Gas mileage needs to improve. If I had to do it again, I'd look into a toyota SUV, as I have found them to be quite honest with there advertised MPG. This way I'm not disappointed when I get the MPG it says I'm supposed to get. Make the passenger front seat equal to the driver seat on all models, not just for the Denali

Many great features, just one that's worrying me
By megant

2012 GMC Acadia Denali 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased out Acadia in June of this year. I'd had a Honda Pilot for 5 years, and while I really liked it, I wanted bucket seats in the second row and third row seating that was more easily accessible and was comfortable for adults-basically a minivan interior for seating without looking like a "mom-mobile" on the outside. The Acadia met these goals very nicely. We've put a lot of miles on it with our 9 year old son and it's been a very comfy ride. It's a beautiful vehicle, but the engine worries me. It can really hesitate when speeding up from a dead stop or slow speed-scary. It also isn't nearly as smooth in acceleration as my Honda was-a bit sluggish. A+ on everything but the engine-C.

Favorite Features

I wanted a much better rear ventilation system than my Pilot & this has a great one including ceiling vents. Great stereo & awesome rear entertainment system-movie theater sound! Very easy to steer. Huge rear compartment for luggage. Access to 3rd row seating by going between 2nd row bucket seats is great. Third row seating is actually comfy for adults. Love the auto rear gate. Lots of info available as you drive-tire pressures, mileage, etc. Good console storage. Nice heads up MPH display. Love the heated & COOLED front seats-awesome during this hot summer! Love the remote starter. Love the rear camera display & warnings-keeps me out of trouble when backing up this boat-no ship!! :-)

Suggested Improvements

What is wrong with this engine?? We took it back after the first month to have them check out why it hesitates sometimes when accelerating from slow speed or dead stop-nothing wrong, they said. Maybe I've been in Hondas & Nissans too long, but this engine just feels a little sluggish. There's this compartment on top of dash that has a port in it, but you can't see into it, nor is there a slot for the cord to go through so you can play your iPod music (you can't drive with it open). Interior "woodgrain" is a little cheesy. It's got every bell & whistle known to man, but side mirrors aren't heated. Front cup holders hug your drink so tight you can barely get them out.

Transmission/Acceleration issues
By tdenny

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Size, features, extras all were a perfect match for me and my family. We have 2 kids, now entering grade school, so the extra seat for carpool and their stuff was great, yet the car drives more like a minivan than a large SUV. Unfortunately, I've had the car for 3 months, the transmission seems to slip and jerk constantly and now, the most scary part - while accelerating from stop, the car sometimes takes 5 seconds to engage. This is 5 seconds for another car to T-Bone you in an intersection. My good wife dealt with it for several months, I experienced it myself this last week. Working with the dealer to return now.

Favorite Features

Captains chairs, 3rd row seats plus additional storage. Size is comfortable for me and my wife to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior components seem cheap. Too much plastic on the floor in the back of the car.

Not bad at all
By vakmere

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Nice exterior design. Good ride, I like the auto lift gate and great storage in the rear. Hard plastic interior is a little bit of a bummer and scratches easily however the layout of the dash and other accessories are good. Quiet ride on asphalt and road noise on concrete (typical). Absorbs the road imperfections very well. There is a small storage compartment on the dash, I dont get that one. You need an inspection mirror to see down in there to find the USB and I-Pod jack. Kind of useless IMO. Mileage is around 18mpg, typical for 5500 lbs of vehicle. Engine is not too noisy either. Radio in the rear console does get pretty warm, unusual for something solid state.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth and On Star are a plus. Easy to use. Voice activation gets a little testy if you dont speak perfectly clear. Nice big storage area under the arm rest. The ride is better than many other SUV's I've driven. Visibility is better then most also. Battery has easy access to the terminals if you need a jump. Adequete air vents throughout the interior makes for even temprature distribution. No opinion on reliability yet, too soon to tell (jsut bought it) however I haven't heard of any issues from others yet. Whatever breaks, I'm sure they can fix it....under warranty of course.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat could be a little more adjustable and add an electric lumbar support to it. Memory seats should be standard on the SLT1. Roof luggage rack is more decorative than useful. Interior accent lighting would be a plus. So, if you're going to make fuel economy an issue dont buy an SUV. Get in, drive it and have fun.

Happy With My Purchase !!!
By pattisdgal

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Had a 2001 Dodge Durango which I loved. After 12 years it was time for a new SUV. I test drove the Traverse, VeraCruz, Durango, and the Durango. As soon as I sat in the GMC, I was sold. The ride is comfortable, it handles great and has lots of room.

Favorite Features

You can seat 7 or 8. Middle seats slide back and forth for plenty of leg room and handling is great!

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system is lame but not a deal breaker. The center storage is a little cumbersome. You have to slide the arm rest, pull the coin holder out to get items out.