Used 2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Mustang review
By Brian Yates

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I like driving my Mustang. It is a comfortable ride but the performance is not what I expected. I really expected more.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature on the car is the 6 disc cd player because it is extremely convenient when you can just store your favorite cd's in it and listen to them.

Suggested Improvements

I believe the car needs more horsepower. Need styling improvements that are fully functional, not the fake hood scoop.

Least expensive sports car you can buy
By Andrew Connelly

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I just purchased my 2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT two weeks ago. I was going to trade in my wife's car, give her my SUV (since she is stopping work), and buy a sports sedan for myself. I looked around and found that the sports sedans I liked, even used, were about $27k and up. I found this car with 17k miles for $15.8k. So I kept both cars and added this as a third. It already has the Magnaflow exhaust and cold air intake system. I highly recommend the Magnaflow exhaust for this particular year. It really sounds great. Not too loud, not as soft as the stock. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and they fit in the back no problem. Took 7 years of convincing my wife, but worth it.

Favorite Features

Low cost, exhaust, exterior styling, color, wheels, torque, upgrades. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The shifter is very notchy and even noisy at times. The clutch is a left leg workout in traffic. Steering is numb; could use a tighter feel. 18" wheels look better. Scoops look fake up close. Side airbags. It's not as quick as I expected. Some squeaks, but try WD40 squirts behind dash to remove.

Great car to buy!
By John55

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Before buying the car I considered either the Mustang or a Trans Am. I picked the Mustang because it looks better on the outside and on the inside. It's also a great car for modding. Just added 3.73 gears, K&N intake, Diablo Predator programmer, Bassain O/R X-pipe, Borla catback, short throw shifter, and lowering springs. Also add 03 Cobra rims with 315's in rear and you're set. With these mods I put down 278rwhp and 308rwtq.

Favorite Features

V8, 5 speed, Mach 460 stereo, rear wheel drive. Women love the car!

Suggested Improvements

Make the interior more interesting. Also a 6 speed manual would of been nice but that's what the 03-04 Cobra's are for.

Good Value
By SevenBizzos

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the GT as a "second" car for fun and to be an owner of the most popular performance car ever. It's a good car - no big complaints. Acceleration is adequate given the factory gear ratio. Cornering and handling are merely average considering the weight of the vehicle. I got the Mach 1000 option and am only marginally satisfied with its performance considering the price ($1200). Build your own stereo system, swap the axle gears to a 3.73 or 4.10, add a Predator tuner, and buy a lowering/performance suspension system and you'll have a great car.

Favorite Features

Leather/power seating is nice. Mach 1000 is nice but could "do-it-yourself" better. Performance and aesthetic parts are readily available.

Suggested Improvements

The stock 3.27 gear ratio is brutal. The stock suspension performance is lacking and is way too high. Stock Gatorback tires are poor. Upgrades are necessary to make a great car.

Get one!
By Nate

2002 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car used from a private party. Granted the transmission Ford outsourced may be the weakest link and I have taken it to the dealer for repairs. Otherwise the car runs smooth and drives great. The seats could be more comfortable and the dash is a little plain but the performance and bang for the buck this car provides is worth it. I love being part of the history of a great automobile name.

Favorite Features

I love the styling and performance of the machine. While driving down the road I get a lot of looks from other people and many more comments such as "nice car!"

Suggested Improvements

Gauge panel and ergonomics. Seats need some more comfort all around and the leather should be upgraded to a higher quality.