Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Mustang review
By Brian Yates

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I like driving my Mustang. It is a comfortable ride but the performance is not what I expected. I really expected more.

My favorite feature on the car is the 6 disc cd player because it is extremely convenient when you can just store your favorite cd's in it and listen to them.

I believe the car needs more horsepower. Need styling improvements that are fully functional, not the fake hood scoop.

Least expensive sports car you can buy
By Andrew Connelly

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I just purchased my 2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT two weeks ago. I was going to trade in my wife's car, give her my SUV (since she is stopping work), and buy a sports sedan for myself. I looked around and found that the sports sedans I liked, even used, were about $27k and up. I found this car with 17k miles for $15.8k. So I kept both cars and added this as a third. It already has the Magnaflow exhaust and cold air intake system. I highly recommend the Magnaflow exhaust for this particular year. It really sounds great. Not too loud, not as soft as the stock. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and they fit in the back no problem. Took 7 years of convincing my wife, but worth it.

Low cost, exhaust, exterior styling, color, wheels, torque, upgrades. Fun to drive.

The shifter is very notchy and even noisy at times. The clutch is a left leg workout in traffic. Steering is numb; could use a tighter feel. 18" wheels look better. Scoops look fake up close. Side airbags. It's not as quick as I expected. Some squeaks, but try WD40 squirts behind dash to remove.

Great car to buy!
By John55

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Before buying the car I considered either the Mustang or a Trans Am. I picked the Mustang because it looks better on the outside and on the inside. It's also a great car for modding. Just added 3.73 gears, K&N intake, Diablo Predator programmer, Bassain O/R X-pipe, Borla catback, short throw shifter, and lowering springs. Also add 03 Cobra rims with 315's in rear and you're set. With these mods I put down 278rwhp and 308rwtq.

V8, 5 speed, Mach 460 stereo, rear wheel drive. Women love the car!

Make the interior more interesting. Also a 6 speed manual would of been nice but that's what the 03-04 Cobra's are for.

My Stang
By Arlana Pinson

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Many say that the Ford Mustang is not safe to drive in the rain or in the snow. I have driven it in both weather types. I believe that it does just fine. The thing to worry about is the driver. You know you're driving a sports car, therefore, be careful and everything else is fine.

CD player, traction control, leather seats, etc.

Long Time Runnin'
By BBQDad

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 2002 Ford Mustang Coupe (232 Cu. In. V6, Auto/OD, Premium Edition) in August 2002. Vehicle has performed very well driving back and forth from Pittsburgh, PA, to Secaucus, NJ every other weekend, about 400 miles one way. The Mustang cruises effortlessly at highway speeds. Tranny is properly geared for city commutes, allowing the engine's torque peak to be used readily (torque peaks at just 2,750 RPM). Gas mileage ranges from 22 MPG in stop-and-go driving to 31 MPG on long, flat highway drives at 65 MPH. Sound system is good; AC handles summer heat. Still uses NO oil between changes! Goes WELL in snow, including recent trip through WV mountains during snowstorm! Still original battery.

Engine is a good balance of power and economy, auto tranny lets you navigate city rush-hour traffic in a sprightly manner without burning up a clutch, runs very well on the highway. Easy to get at the oil filter. Handles well, solid, predictable in curves, quick but not squirrelly. Good brakes.

Wish it had larger outside mirrors. Console wastes a lot of space, needs better design. Auto tranny already has an "Overdrive ON/OFF" switch, and is just a switch or two away from being a manu-matic; why didn't Ford do it? It is a great tranny burdened with a mediocre shifter.