Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Best car out (for the money)
By josh

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I picked this up as a commuter car to make the 140 mile round trip commute to school. It's got plenty of power, and is responsive. It rolls down the highway smooth as silk at 75-80 miles an hour. I got the cold weather package (heated seats and side mirrors), Sony audiophile package and all the goodies that come with the SES trim. For the money, this car can not be beat. Comfortable, stylish and plenty of pep from the 2L engine. No other entry level car competes with the Focus.

Favorite Features

16" wheels, heated seats, decent sound system (soon to be upgraded), plenty of room for tall people (I'm 6'4").

Suggested Improvements

Make the ST a hatchback! I would have paid for the 2.3L.. but I didn't want a sedan. Offer the ST as a hatch! Also the overhead storage things is cheap feeling - it's really the only part of the car that feels cheap. This should have been fixed long ago, especially on the SES trim.

Would Buy Again
By ralphaw

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been pleased with both performance and reliability of this car, especially the gas mileage. My job requires a lot of driving so comfort is a big plus. The seating height is also appreciated compared to other compacts I have been in.

Favorite Features

Seating height/comfort and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the ZX3 in the new line.

my first and only ford
By wade

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car pre owned it had 43,000 k on it in the last 6 months I had the (wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, and heated seats replaced) I, m having trouble with the heater controls, the gas peddle sticks when its cold out and now the radio isn't working which is going to cost $700.00 to replace. The car isn't good in the snow and there, s a lot of road and wind noise.

Favorite Features

none will not buy or recommend to anyone

Suggested Improvements

offer a better warranty

This Car Is a Blast
By Proud new owner

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In January '09 I found this 4-door ST with manual 5 speed in like new condition with only 6.5k mi. and have been smiling ever since. This car makes me smile every time I fire it up and head out. Very responsive engine with nice low-end torque for a four cylinder, smooth clutch, great taut steering, tight, rigid feeling chassis, and sweet handling make this car a blast to drive. Feels, sounds, and drives European but for $1000's less. So far getting 25mpg around town and have not taken highway trip, yet.

Favorite Features

Sweet engine with nice low-end torque, great tight steering, sweet handling. Simply fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if certain non-performance related items such as tinny-sounding door lock mechanism, cheap-feeling interior lighting, and similar items were more upscale sounding/feeling...but, considering the performance value inherent in this car, these items are gladly tolerated.

Small with good Utility
By bwsmoney

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Yes it's small. But it has a pretty decent amount of interior space for its size. SES package gives you the controls on the steering wheel, which is nice. As for comfort, it is perfect for my wife (5'3") but not at all comfortable for me (6'5"). Engine is not very powerful, but it's only noticeable when the car is really loaded down. MPG is heavily dependent on how you drive it. No mechanical problems after 4+ years, just one long-term rattle underneath that the mechanics have not been to locate. Antenna base got water in it and therefore some corrosion, and now radio reception is horrible.

Favorite Features

Good handling, small footprint, good interior space, nice styling, good ground clearance, SES package.

Suggested Improvements

Cramped legroom, fit & finish is not great, shift points are horrible, engine loud under stress, paint scratches too easily