Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not bad at all
By nichole

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Definitely not a bad car. Only problem is when the alternator went up. Scared the crap out of me and seemed a little ironic that it happened with less than 20,000 miles on the car, but whatever. Not too impressed at needing new tires at 20,000 either. Partial blame on the dealer for not doing it and then the other half on myself for not knowing to ask. Handling is pretty good and parking is really easy. Not thrilled with the road noise at high speeds but I'll take that over having to turn off my AC to get moving above 30 mph in my old car.

Sitting up so high! I'm 5'1 and I love how much I can see. I'm also left handed and I love that the car is too. (If you don't know what I mean, see what happens when you roll down the windows or lock the door)

No cup holders in the door. You can't roll down the window. A center console might be nice. Gas release from the inside.

I like the warranty ... kind of
By The VA Lady

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the my car with only 11 miles. I put about 30k a year on a car and wanted something with a good warranty. At 90k the CD player went out. At 93k my alternator destroyed my battery while I was 300 miles from home. The part was covered under warranty but the dealership wouldn't have it for 2 days. My "warranty" wouldn't tow me back so I was stuck missing work for that time. When it was finally repaired the battery light came on again only about 100 miles down the highway. I admit, this isn't disastrous but I am concerned that I will be in a world of hurt at 100k when the factory warranty runs out. The customer care dept better wow me or it is hello Hyundai!

Attractive body design, efficient, good AC, reliable under 90k

Cheap interior, radio/CD player didn't last, loud road noise, headlights too dim

142000 miles in two years and it keeps
By Gvs

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The most dependable car I had so far. Only had two glitches with it: a) Two light bulbs had to be replaced b) The drivers safety belt buckle has been replaced. Engine and drive train wise, this car performs like a charm, costs very little to drive.

Seats could be more comfortable for longer rides, and less road noise.

Great
By Jim Van Damme

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Automatic tranny, gets 32 MPG in mixed driving, plummets to 28 MPG in winter. OK, it's only 3 years old, but so far totally reliable. Once in a great while I get some rough idle and I checked it with my DRB tester & it says it's the airflow sensor but it always resets. Bought used, probably traded because there was a big air leak into the bottom of the windshield. Some caulk cured that. Trunk lid doesn't fit well.

Upright seating. Comfy on long trips.

Door handles are hard to operate. And bring back the wagon!

After 3 Years, Still Love It
By Mikey

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have seen people review this car as underpowered. What did they think they were buying? It is an economy car. Duh. This is a good looking car that is fun to drive, and has a well designed interior. The car is comfortable, the steering tight, the mileage decent, and it has been very reliable. We have not had a single problem in almost three years. The noise at highway speeds is a little more than I would like, but that is my only complaint. It is easy to park because of its small size, but the interior is roomy enough. The trunk is good sized. The Pirelli tires grip great. Fit and finish is excellent.

Steering wheel mounted radio controls. Riding position/seat comfort. PZEV. Who would have thought that CA would not require the bi-annual smog testing. One less annoyance in my life!

Build a hybrid! Improve sound insulation.