Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Focus on fun
By martine4

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus ST experience has been a good one. The car is small, a virtue in my situation, handles very well, is very comfortable, and has all sorts of creature comforts one wouldn't expect at the price. I don't see many ads for this car ... Ford doesn't need to advertise it heavily because word of mouth from satisfied owners do the trick. I have had the car for ~9 months and have ~5900 miles on the car. It has never missed a beat! All features; cruise control, 6-disk CD player, skid control (in Iowa we occasionally need this sort of thing), 4-wheel disk brakes. Everything works. Heating, cooling ... no problems. It's reliable and I enjoy driving it.

Favorite Features

There are raised indentations on controls that really help. For example, at night I can find the button that turns on cruise control and the one that sets the speed entirely by feel. It's the most efficient way I have seen for doing this ... and it's not in the manual!

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to make side-curtain airbags and daytime running lights standard on this car.

I HATE this car
By Ranita

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 7 months now and I have had so many problems with this vehicle. There's no power locks and the brake are already bad. This was my first car so I REALLY had no idea what I was getting in to.

Favorite Features

The CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Power locks.

Good All-round Value
By meginger

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus ST is a good compromise on a sporty and fun to drive car with features, practicality and value. Visually it suggests performance, and it does perform well, but the high seating position and competent but long-throw shifter will disappoint if you are looking to maximize that aspect. There's a lot to like: power, torque, no-brainer heated leather seats, spacious, a lot of car for the money after incentives. On the minus side gas mileage could be better, highway noise could be lower, rear sight lines could be better, needs light for rear seats, upshift from 2nd to 3rd is notchy, all season tires poor in snow even with traction control, large trunk with small opening.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, heated seats, roomy for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, highway noise, light for rear seats.

it is a great compact car!
By Memphis, TN

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have very good experiences with Ford Escort. That is why I chose Ford Focus. My daughter considers the old 95 Ford Escort as our family member because it is so reliable and almost problem free for many years! The best part of the new Ford Focus is: everybody in my family loves it very much! Before I bought it, I read a lot of reviews on it and other cars in its class. I think people tell the truth: fun to drive, looks cute, roomy for big size guys, fuel economy, etc. as it claims, the gas mileages are 26/32. However, I get 30/34! During winter season, I still can get 28/33. It is quite, sharp and smooth. The Ford dealer is honest and nice. I am quite happy to own it.

Favorite Features

Power window / locks / mirrors / and keyless entry. The best part is the MP3 player! It becomes a pleasure to drive with my favorite songs! The appearance of the car is great. Oh, the arm rest, even though it is a small thing, it helps me a lot especially long distance driving.

Suggested Improvements

The panel can be better. The display of MP3 player could be better. The internal design of European version looks better. The head holder is too high and not comfortable as my old Escort. The steering wheel does not look good. I don't like it.

2005 Focus ZX4
By j black

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We are very pleased with our 05 Focus ZX4. We also have an 02 Focus Se wagon which we are also very pleased with. The 05 does get 5 to 7 mpg better. The torque curve has been noticeably improved, especially at passing speeds. The stall ratio of the transmission has also been changed. The engine feels very strong when starting from a dead stop.

Favorite Features

Dash design is open. It does not feel like a small car. I also like the steering wheel-mounted controls for the radio and CD player and the small compartment for CD storage.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belts difficult to latch particularly if one is wearing bulky winter clothing. The emergency brake lever is awkward to release.