2005 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great little Wagon, Very Dependable
By dantomfin on 03/28/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had it new since '05. Zippy, handles well, decent gas mileage (around 20 in the city, better than 30 on the highway). Have had NO breakdowns or any mechanical issues - an EXTREMELY dependable car. Good points -Front seats are very comfortable. Lots of pep. Brakes smoothly and the brake replacement intervals are quite long. Heat and A/C work great. Good cargo space in the back, especially for a small wagon. Decent in the snow. Stock sound system is okay. Bad points - not much room in the back seat. Cloth seats stain easily. Some body creaks that drive me nuts. Build quality could be better. Tail and brake light sockets distorted from light bulb heat.

not bad so far
By Craig on 01/05/10 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

Believe
By Believer on 10/17/09 08:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this wagon used with 32000 miles. It has 52k now. Really a great car for the $$. Maintenance is a breeze, very accessable oil filter, I hand screw on and off. Get 32-34 mpg hwy and 24-26 city. Wagon is great for hauling stuff, I could sleep in if economy totaly folds ;-) It's like a mini minivan/suv that gets 30+ mpg on hwy. Around town easy to park. Don't understand the bad reviews from others but they had bad experiences....I had a 1991 escort before this.....got 200,000 miles on it, and it was still running great when I traded in on this Focus.....Ford is the leader in Europe and Brazil on Fuel effeciency and they sell tons in those countries. I'm a believer.

2005 ZXW SES
By edmar on 02/10/08 15:35 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent small all-around car. Long distance use at 30%, short distance at 70%,and good at both. Can easily be used for camping(van-ning) by 2 adults, preferably not over 6' tall. Especially good for long distance motel-ing use. Price is right & repairs can be handled by local shops very adequately. 25 mpg overall avg.

Stick to Imports
By may on 11/06/07 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this was my first new vehicle. in less than 2 weeks it was in service. then it was in service every other week for one issue or another. my personal vehicle was in service for a rattling noise in rear area; transmission probs; rear hatch not locking; dome light turning on whenever it felt like it... i wont go into my experience with the service department. in short, my car was back at the dealership longer than me driving. filed lemon lawsuit; ford could not buy back- so they issued a settlement check. although it is a spacious vehicle, do not buy- resale value blows; not to mention reliability. if you do buy, make sure you get gap insurance!! many service depts still cant fix hatch probs.

Nice package
By Phil Barbour on 03/09/06 07:20 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

FoMoCo has vastly improved their small car design over the years. My first one was purchased new in 1981 (Mercury Lynx). This Focus wagon is fully loaded with options. All work well. I do look forward to replacing the Goodyear tires that came on it, however (Never had much luck with this brand, especially in getting them perfectly balanced). More insulation would be a good idea. Although not really annoying, you are definitely made aware of the high winding DOHC 4 cylinder engine doing it's thing, especially during "brisk" acceleration. All the teething problems Focus had in it's first few years seem to have been addressed and taken care of. So far, so good.

Thinks it's a Sports car!
By Antarababe on 11/09/05 16:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from my much-loved 2000 Explorer for the fuel economy. And though it doesn't seem to get the 35mpg as promised - it sure is fun to drive. Not the least bit sluggish for a 4 cylinder. Fast out of a start, feels like rack & pinion steering, doesn't hesitate to go up hills. Holds everything my SUV did and then some. Perfect car for a single, self- employed, travel-loving, antique addict. And it'll be light enough to tow when I get that retirement motor home.

Life with a Focus
By Jersey Dave on 10/30/05 22:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus wagon with automatic transmission has a lot of good qualities. It's spunky, offers great driving visibility and has lots of storage room. Little things like the theater lighting are also nice. But, I'm not very pleased with around- town gas mileage in the very low 20's. A 2005 car with a 2.0 liter engine, even with an auto transmission, should do a lot better than that. (My '94 Geo Prizm still gets 25-26 around town). And, I really don't like the European suspension. In New Jersey, we have way too many streets and highways that are in pretty poor condition. I really have fears that my Focus with get beaten or shaken to death way before its time.

Radio killed the car
By LEH88 on 09/30/05 10:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for about 4 weeks, left it parked for a week, came back the engine was dead, jumped it, it died again. Come to find out the CD/radio was bad, killing the battery. Two months later still waiting on a new CD/radio to be installed. Also my car came with no dip stick. Not sure if that was the dealer or standard practice, that cost $45. Otherwise the car has everything you need for the price. Even with the AC running it can keep up with the best of them on the Autobahn here in Germany. At 140KMs it is sailing along comfortably.

a/c compressor noise
By marks1355 on 09/13/05 22:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I test drove my ZXW the a/c charge was low so there was no noise. As soon as it was charged and new coolant was put in there was a loud clicking every 30 seconds. Ford say that is normal. That sound is the a/c compressor working. I hate the loud click and would not bought the vehicle if I heard it during my test drive. I love driving my ZXW, but what do I do to shut this car up.