Used 2003 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Rocket miser
By Scott S.

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The PROS: The car is a pleasure to drive. It looks sharp when shined in black. I like the interior, very sporty and different than other vehicles. The car comes with so many surprise and delights - what a value - leather, heated seats, great stereo with sub woofer, HID lights, sunroof, and super brakes. The most amazing spec is the actual gas mileage of 27 city and 34 highway - while driving it hard enough to smile! I average one offer to buy it each month I have owned it. Too bad Ford dropped the SVT. The CONS: Longer trips are hard on your comfort index, must get additional wheels for winter, and a seventh speed for overdrive would have been awesome .

Power, handling, performance, mileage, smile factor, stereo, the car is cool and a great value, sporty ride.

An overdriven seventh speed.

Fun and practical
By rbsjrx

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this so I could send my beloved '96 Contour into semi-retirement. It's been a lot of fun to drive, although driving is more work than the Contour. Overall, I'm quite satisfied. It can blow away most unmodified Minis which is good enough for me. Handling is excellent, but surprisingly not that much better than my Contour. It feels better, but that's just because of the better support from the Recaro seats. As noted in my Contour review, the Contour is both lower and wider than the Focus, which shows on twisty roads.

Exhilarating performance while maintaining 20 MPG economy. Quite comfortable even on long trips (1800 miles on last vacation). It loves the open road! Twisty roads are fun and it eats up the interstates in 6th gear with cruise control.

Really bad cup holders! Everything on it is special order, so breaking it means lots of money and waiting on parts. Cheap Focus features - no passenger side door lock, no glove box lock, etc. "Premium" sound system wouldn't play MP3's, so replaced with Alpine gear. It really needs a shift gate!

Why did I buy this car?
By Jason

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned the car since new and have been battling problems ever since. The problems range from mechanical to customer service. The first winter I owned the car it would not start several times. I called the dealership and was told that this was "normal". The entire exhaust system needed replaced at 10,000 miles. The drivers side window developed several large scratches that the cause could not be explained by the dealership. Ford is unwilling to replace. The scratches continue to get worse. Lots of squeaks and rattles after only 34K miles. I wish I would have shopped around more. For the same $22K I could have bought an RSX Type S and had much better resale value.

HID headlights and Audiophile stereo.

Needs more covered interior storage. Needs better build quality and hopefully that would lead to better resale value. Needs better customer service from dealerships (I've been to four different ones). Ford - Are you listening?

So much fun ... so little time.
By Screamin' Yellow EU

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I own two different Foci - a ZTW (wagon) and the SVT. Both are 2003 models. I've owned the SVT for one year. Both cars are incredible - very reliable and very fun to drive. The SVT is quirky but I think that adds character. Mine is the Euro edition that, in addition to a host of features, comes standard w/ Recaro - heated leather seats, Xenon headlights; traction control and 17" wheels. In the SVT price range, there are no other makes that compete on performance and equipment. And the Focus is an American made product! I highly recommend this car.

All aspects of performance combined w/ excellent fuel economy. Interior comfort and styling. Not many on the road. The list goes on and on!

More low-end torque. Passenger-side door exterior lock. Some type of cover/scratch guard on the top of the rear bumper for loading and unloading misc. stuff. Standard (small) center console w/ storage.

Used SVT
By Blaise Mikau

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

i was looking for a sports compact. However the focus SVT was nowhere near the top when i was deciding. the Eclipse, Tiburon, and Mazda Protege 5 were my top choices. However due to a mix up at car max the car i wanted was no longer there. So i looked around. I had heard good things about the SVT to i took a chance. as soon as he open the door i was in love. The leather trim seats were eye catching. Once he started it, the purr of the engine was beautiful. i test drove and was sold. the SVT suspension is surpieror to and other STOCK compact car. This along with the Kit and Exhaust tip, saved me alot of money on visual upgrades. I put a AEM shortram and my cruise speed went from 80 to 90.

Stock looks and performance for the base price. 6 disk CD changer. since its a focus it's very roomy, and has head room, im 6'2" and have plenty of room. THe seat also can be moved up and down vertically! I sat in an eclipse and my head was peaking through the sunroof. Suspension and huge Brakes.

More Torque, however that can be improved with some added bolt-ons. Gas mileage could be better. the 300 HP suburu STI almosts gets the same mileage per gallon. other than that it's a wonderfull car. And if u got an extra $4000 u can get a vortex charger that takes it from 170bhp to 276whp