Used 2002 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

SVT 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (49 reviews )

Nice car but
By John

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

So far in the past week of owning this car, I've been left stranded twice. Both times were caused by a failed shifter cable end. The other complaint I have about this car, is the non-functional 6 disc cd changer, this car will be the last Ford I own and quite possibly the last domestic. In fact if I didn't owe so much on this pile, I would be trading it for a last gen Civic SIR, or a Jetta TDi.

Handling, and decent fuel mileage.

I could probably write a book, but what's the point? Ford no longer makes this car.

Great little car
By Adam

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love how this car is practical for daily driving, and also very nimble and pretty quick. The handling is fantastic (out slaloms E46 M3s, Corvette Z06, etc), and the 170HP Zetec has enough power to propel it at a moderate pace. The brakes are also OUTSTANDING. It also has tons of room to go on road trips and haul around your things. The side airbags are another nice feature for safety.

Handling, brakes, room, safety, decent power.

Bringing it back. Factory supercharged option.

Porsche Killer
By Ben

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car, needed reliable transportation, good economy, but no sacrifice to performance, and needed it all on a strict budget. Shopped all the imports, but the SVTF had much more bang for the buck. The SRT4 will spank it in a line, but the SVTF out handles cars that costs 5 times as much. I autocross it often, once entered a Porsche Club of America event, came in 4th out of 75 cars, 55 were Porsches! I'm a decent driver, but the SVTF makes me a great driver. Easy to drive and very predictable handling. I can haul a lot gear to work in the hatch, and go racing on the weekend. Well balanced car, Ford needs to make more cars like this!

SVT hit a home run, too bad they are going upscale. It actually gets lots of compliments. Especially the Sonic Blue paint. The interior ergonomics are great, the seating comfortable, system rocks. Great suspension offers nice ride and handling. All the goods and cheap! Better than Si and GTI.

Audiophile system sounds great, but I'm on my unit. O2 sensor keeps failing. Very easy to accidentally slip into the wrong gear when down shifting, no lockout on 1st can lead to BIG problems! Suggested improvement #1, bring back the SVTF utilizing the new Euro Focus platform.

good bye old pard
By DICKSTER

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car on impulse. Basically it had a practical style because of the functional hatchback design covering a tiger. I love to drive this car. It handles better than anything I've owned or driven in the past although a turbocharger would have been better. The creature comforts are just right for this type of car. It's not a plush ride nor should it be. Too bad Ford hasn't figured out how to make a car reliable. I've had all sorts of problems from bent axles to a failed oil pump causing me to replace the engine. Just replaced the dual mass clutch that literally exploded and not under stress. I don't enjoy waiting for tow trucks so it's going to a new owner who will love the handling.

Handling is superb. Functional body style. I mean you can get a lot of stuff in this hatchback! Performance is good and would be great with a turbo.

Reliability. Learn from the Japanese.

SVT = KEWL
By Anonymous

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

It is a blast to drive, a big difference from my 01 Focus. Interior looks a lot nicer and I grew to love the red exterior color I have. Bought the car with issues (bad previous driver), there are quite a # of TSBs on the car but nothing major.

Handling = SUPERB!

A supercharger would have been nice from factory, a turbo would be even better but supercharger would suffice. And a way to fully kill the traction control from factory.