Used 2002 Ford Focus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst car
By Kienna Summer Shkopich-Weddell

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 500 dollars for this car and drove it for exactly one year. After replacing all 4 wheel bearings, the front right spring, plus having to refill the antifreeze every morning during the winter months in Northern Canada, I gave up and took it to the dump. I wanted to set this car on fire every single day that I owned it. I do not recommend, I would not say that this is a safe car. Much happier with my older 1990 Honda Accord.

Do not buy a focus
By max116

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year. The car is the worst car that I had. Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew. Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles. Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump. Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires. Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles. Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Now I know
By Nicole

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old and had 30K miles. It drove nice at first,looked okay,and gas mileage is great.It has been nothing but problems since. The AC has gone out 4 or 5 times,each time Ford sent their dealership defective parts to replace the AC.Finally they sent a part that looks like its going to work.Then the alternator went out at 80,000 miles.It also had to be replaced twice because Ford sent a bad part the first time.We've put more money into this car than its even worth. The gas mileage is ok. Maybe ford should focus on building quality vehicles.Now I know to NEVER , EVER buy a Ford vehicle again.

Great little car
By Bernie

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 5 years now and it's been overall a great experience. The car has over 82,000 miles now and I still get over 29 miles per gallon and the engine still runs strong. never had a problem with it other than a faulty spark plug, but that is maintenance. one and two year old domestic cars are the way to go!! you get a new car at a fraction of the cost.

fuel economy, comfortable seats, quality of cloth, ice cold a/c (even at 82000 miles). great turning ratio and perfect size (for a family of 4)

body color door handles and break away side mirrors would have been nice.

my car
By me

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car, but glad I spent $50 on buying & transfering the extended warranty when I got the car. Replaced the heater at 62000 mi and the right front center axle bearing & bracket, oil pan gasket and oil sensor unit at 66000 mi. Total repairs about $1850, with warranty I spent $525 total.

Stero and cost to fill the gas tank.

Get the radio antenna off the front of the roof!!! Do you have any idea how hard it is to put 2 kayaks on the roof with that antenna there?

• SUV