2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Do not buy a focus
By max116 on 03/12/12 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year. The car is the worst car that I had. Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew. Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles. Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump. Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires. Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles. Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Now I know
By Nicole on 04/19/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old and had 30K miles. It drove nice at first,looked okay,and gas mileage is great.It has been nothing but problems since. The AC has gone out 4 or 5 times,each time Ford sent their dealership defective parts to replace the AC.Finally they sent a part that looks like its going to work.Then the alternator went out at 80,000 miles.It also had to be replaced twice because Ford sent a bad part the first time.We've put more money into this car than its even worth. The gas mileage is ok. Maybe ford should focus on building quality vehicles.Now I know to NEVER , EVER buy a Ford vehicle again.

Great little car
By Bernie on 06/13/09 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 5 years now and it's been overall a great experience. The car has over 82,000 miles now and I still get over 29 miles per gallon and the engine still runs strong. never had a problem with it other than a faulty spark plug, but that is maintenance. one and two year old domestic cars are the way to go!! you get a new car at a fraction of the cost.

my car
By me on 03/21/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car, but glad I spent $50 on buying & transfering the extended warranty when I got the car. Replaced the heater at 62000 mi and the right front center axle bearing & bracket, oil pan gasket and oil sensor unit at 66000 mi. Total repairs about $1850, with warranty I spent $525 total.

Use caution
By jon wheatley on 03/01/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!

Fun to drive, but not solidly built.
By BelleCat on 06/07/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 2 years old, and was blown away by the power and performance of this little gem compared to the Kia Rio that I had just test driven. The handling is superb; it's just so much fun to drive! The size of the car is really deceiving from the outside. I have moved a 6 ft countertop in this thing! I'm a little disappointed with some of the repairs I had to do: O2 sensor, new tires (60K mile warranty, ha!), completely new brakes down to the rotors. It is now in the shop again because the acceleration died last week. The carpet is also pulling away from the trim and the rubber seals around both front doors have cracked and are coming loose. Still, not bad for 6 years old!

Ford Focus
By AJIowa on 11/20/07 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has excellent handling. I am not a car person so my primary reason for purchasing was price and gas mileage. The inside of the car is a little small. Passengers in the back seat have to scrunch up and it would not be good for long car rides with four people. This car needs new tires constantly. I am lucky to get 15k out of a tire. I mean they are completely bald. I have had alignment checked no problems. I rotate the tires but barely can do it twice before I need new ones. I been through 7 full sets of tires in 5 years. The tires are supposed to get 50-75K and it isn't even close. I also had to have the struts front and back all replaced by 50K.

Excellent auto
By doglover on 11/12/07 06:38 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am almost always the one to bash an auto maker. But the Focus 4 door wagon has been very good to me and with 199,000 has been awesome. The only regret is Ford not making this mid size wagon anymore. I am the original owner the things that were replaced was wiper motor, tires, brakes(only the second set) a little pricey, the alternator (which was still under warrantry). A very honest reliable vechicle good value. Yes, I would buy another Focus. A little bummed about the removal of the wagon.

Best handling car, ever!
By Ksmith on 07/19/07 16:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! I received this car as a gift, and the first thing that came to my mind was, oh no a Ford. But once I took it around the block, my view about the car changed completely. Has plenty of power (more than BMW 318i), stops on a dime, very comfortable with a spacious, quiet interior. The car is very solid, when I close the doors; it shuts with an air tight thump like that of a Mercedes or Volvo. If I had to sum up this car in one word it would have to be responsive. I have driven a BMW M5 before and my Focus is tighter and handles better than the BMW. My Focus saved my life a few times thanks to its perfect handling! I have driven Hondas and I would take the Focus!

one of the best
By stuck with ford on 01/07/07 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Focus for 5 years; have had transmission replaced at 37000 miles, tires every 20000 miles and the alternator replaced once. Not too much work for 140000 miles, besides routine maintenance. I like the car's fuel economy/handling/pickup. If I didn't need more room I would buy a new Focus. So I sticking with Ford and buying a Ford Escape Limited.

1 2 3 4 5 next »