Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

01 focus a great car
By dan

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy owning and driving my 01 Focus zx3. Fun to drive, gets great gas mileage. Very dependable. Overall great car. Even with the 2dr I can fold down back seat and haul some pretty big stuff!

Fun to drive, gas mileage 30 mpg like clock work. Even better on pure hwy and easy driving. Best ever 36 mpg.

only complaint would be need more room around cup holders for larger drinks. i know they improved that in later models.

Fun but hot!
By KRANKIZZ

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I own my 2001 Focus for almost 7 yrs never lets me down even if there's a problem with the car . I have this car overheat like 5 times, the problem the my car have is the radiator that's about it . This car have 19,000k and still good as new fast motor. That's the good thing about a good motor the is been taken good care! Love your Focus!

Too fast good on fast turns and save you on gas!

A Work Horse
By The Captain

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Self-employed, bought for everyday driving needs, performed well, had to replace bought front coils springs, and two power window motors, but other than that - excellent value! Way to go Ford!

Fuel economy, room for equipment in back, and passengers too!

Fun Car, Mostly Reliable
By Helen

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Focus for 3 years now. I've put about 20,000 miles on it, and about $3,000 in repairs. I was told that the body is German engineering, and the front suspension is by ford....which is where the majority of the problems have been. Replaced the struts, ball bearings, etc ($1600 and $300-ish), and I still think there's something wrong with the suspension. Also had a distributor problem which caused the car to run at half power (cost about $500 to repair) Recently replaced the coolant reservoir and cooling fan ($380), and am saving up for repairs for an EGR issue (check engine light is on). Car gets about 27 MPG, and is super fun to drive when...it runs well.

The general look, tight steering, and quiet interior. Back seats fold down completely for extra cargo space. It's super comfortable, and fits tall and short people well. Zetec engine has pep. Car has kind of a cult following online, so it's fun to be a part of it.

Cup holders are designed poorly. It would have been a much better car if Ford hadn't meddled. Back breaks squeal (common problem with this year). Volume button on radio never works right. Has had several recalls, but it's very hard to track them down.

Ford Built Very Bad- No Quality
By muadib

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have less than 10,000 miles per year and this car is breaking down left and right. EGR sensor issues every week, vacuum problems now starting. Do not buy this car!

Getting rid of it, very soon, hopefully it wont break down during the showing of it while I get if off my hands.

Need to greatly improve on reliability and quality of the engine, lack of power and noisy on the highway.