2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
I Love My Focus ZTS
By Mark on 04/07/09 16:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since January 01. It's fun to drive, handles very well, has excellent passenger room and trunk space. Good small car for mostly in-town use that I can take on a longer road trip and it doesn't beat me up. I only drive it 8000 miles per year so I might have it another 8 years if it holds up. I've had some occasional minor but annoying throttle body sticking since I bought it. The dealer replaced it once under warranty, but it still sticks periodically.

You get what you pay for.
By tommyschw on 02/25/09 07:59 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used for a pretty good price. We have had it for 3 years now and it has been fairly reliable. It can be a bear to work on yourself at times, due to the way it was built. There have been sensor problems and it is leaking coolant now. Hopefully we can get a few more years out of it, we take really good care of it, and it still seems to have problems. More so than my Pontiac Grand Am.

ZX3
By Alex on 01/28/09 09:14 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since my wife and I have had this car, we've had several issues with it. Ford's build quality is poor. We've had issues with the air conditioner leaking, after its rained the back of the car has had large amounts of water in it, the ignition where you put the key in broke and had to be replaced, the plastic (let me reinforce plastic) thermostat housing unit was leaking coolant, also the hoses aren't sufficient enough to carry the coolant since they eventually balloon up, the car jerks when you back up, etc. The radio always shut off and you have to push in the radio/cd area to turn it back on. Other than maintenance issues, the car is pretty comfortable inside and is fun to drive.

170,000 miles on it
By xjandxj on 09/27/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just sold my ZX3 after 7 years, 170,000 miles. Fun, fun car to ride; however, it has truly been unreliable pretty much from day one. Calipers, fuel pump, catalatyic converter, wheel bearings; $500 dollar repairs 5 months in a row; escape a few months and starts all over again; finally sold. When running (second to none) on fun factor but not without cost.

Pain in the rear
By nicole on 06/07/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car now for 4 years and the first year I loved my car. Now, I am deathly affraid to drive it. It makes so much noise I think that the tires are going to fall off. It is leaking oil and coolant. Had many problems with the windows not working, and the doors not wanting to open from the outside. The inside latch to release the trunk doesn't work ( I can't remember when it did). But I am so upside down in this car it is hard to find a non-Ford car to buy.

I love my Focus
By Josh on 05/26/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am 350lbs and I am totally comfortable in this car. Great mileage and fun to drive. One of the most powerful 4cyl, 120ish horsepower engines ever made. Total thumbs up for me.

Best in its class!
By Miguel toscano on 04/23/08 04:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A gem to drive and own. Superb engine even at low revs. Precise steering and powerful brakes. Comfortable and stylish and reliability is so good that never lets you down! A fine car.

Worst Car Ever
By Focus SE on 04/22/08 22:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Focus in 2002, and have had nothing but problems. I had to have three fuel pumps replaced, which Ford covered the first two for free, and then charged me for the third. The letter I received regarding the recall states they had not yet found a fuel pump that fits in this model, and 7 years later...they still haven't. I had to replace three windows due to faulty parts. The final straw was my timing belt and water pump went, which caused the engine to seize up. My Focus is dead at 147,000 miles and the best part is I had just taken it into the Ford dealership two weeks ago, due to it starting rough and stalling, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it!

OK but fun
By eric on 03/25/08 20:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2001 ZX3 is an OK car. I had one since the beginning and it's been OK. This car balances out with a lot of trips to the dealer for fixes but pretty dang fun drive when you get it back. There is too much rattling inside at around 50,000 miles but everything still holds on strong. One thing I am very happy with is its performance on the highway. This car can somehow cruise at 85 miles an hour at only 3500 rpms! I get around only 20 miles a gallon at that speed but sometimes it's worth it.

I love it but...
By sexyamazon on 03/20/08 18:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive, and very good on fuel. But at a low speed impact it seemed to fold to easy and massive damage was caused which force me to total out the car with my insurance company. I really enjoyed this car and wish that I still had it. I hope to find another just like it