2001 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
My first car
By Denise on 02/01/08 11:10 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased at 178000kms now almost at 300000kms. Never miss an oil change, well maintained. Problems began just after 200000 kms. My car began to 'studder' while in gear. Changed the fuel filter, thought it could have been the gas. Nope. Changed leads and plugs thinking I'm misfiring. Nope. One day went to start my car and it sounded horrible-in the end it was my timing belt, I needed an entire new engine as the belt had slipped and ruined the pistons and valves. A 'new' rebuilt engine was put in. Now headlight socket on drivers side seems melted and the contacts no longer connect. Rear dr side door clasp jammed-no longer use that dr won't click closed. Replaced ignition key shaft as rollers seized

What does Ford stand for?
By Maybe happy on 09/18/07 23:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This station wagon has been good and bad. I might buy another only if certain things are changed. It has stranded me over 4 times yet it has done well on long trips and it is good on gas and it handles great. The car is paid for yet I seem to put an average of $300 into it every month throughout the year. Power windows all work at each door however the front passanger won't go down from the driver side and the left rear pass window won't go down from the driver control either. Now the driver control will make the right side passanger go up. Rear hatch unlatches while your driving and you never hit the release.

A lot of car for the money
By Dan on 09/03/07 08:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good about this car. Had Fords Escorts Zx2 (2) of them with the same engine, the Focus lived up to my expections. Had some small issues but as with all cars you'll always have some. I would like to see some more engine performance parts available from the dealer to give a little more pep.

What a disappointment!
By Katherine Wilson on 02/05/07 00:35 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April of 2003 and enjoyed it for about 3 months. It began to deteriorate quickly and had a variety of uncommon and mysterious problems. Many problems came from shoddy materials. I felt trapped by the financing and had to get many rides from friends for the whole time I've owned it. I was reminded daily of old saying "FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily." I've really resented paying high and constant repair bills while still making car payments. I still have two years on that loan but I just got financing to trade it in and get anything other than an American car. I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra and surprised how much more comfortable it is. I will miss having a wagon though.

probably buy Focus again
By matd on 07/28/06 06:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 105K miles, I still love this car. I bought it for the price, because my elderly mom could get in & out of it, & for the cargo space (big enough to fit two Sheltie-size dog crates side-by-side). I've had no major problems with it. I have the 5-speed. I'm female, 5'3", very little use for rear seat. 29-30 mpg highway, 26 city (the rare times I do city).

Ford Focus Wagons R Zippy with Lots o' Room!
By The Gainester on 03/11/06 19:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my used Ford Focus wagon for about 6 months and thoroughly enjoy it. I only have two quibbles with it. First, the unemovable bar that divides the far rear part of the cargo area from the front rear part is irritating. The helpful rear canopy is stored in this bar, but my two dogs have to wriggle under it to navigate the cargo area. Also, there is room for three people in the back seat, but there is only one cup holder built into the rear area. I've also been told that people in the middle of the back seat feel like they're riding on a hump. Also, I'm 5'3'' and found that many seats were not high enough for me, but the Focus' seat goes up or down with a crank. I'm satisfied.

Pretty Good Car
By jdr on 02/24/06 12:46 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Focus over 4 years. Since owning it I have had to get the front brakes replaced and new tires. I've also had the fuel pump go out (recall so it was covered, but had to pay to get fuel filter changed). Also had the 'check engine' light come on which ended up being a sensor that had been recalled. I've had the contraption that turns off the turn signal after going around the corner break twice on this car. First time it was under warranty. Second time it wasn't so now I have to turn it off by hand after turning. My car still runs great after 4 years and shows little signs of wear.

a good companion
By josip on 01/22/06 00:30 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If I were out for a new car, I would buy it again. Very good car in any sense. Had just a few glitches in these five years. The original Goodyear Eagle RS tires provided a smooth ride but started to slid and hydroplane too soon. The new TOYO tires make the Focus a beast with gentle heart.

Don't buy this year
By Heather on 12/20/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Since I got this car I have had to replace a fuel pump (recall but still stunk), and am now having to mess with my transmission. I don't know if it is just my car or all 2001 Focuses, but I hate it.

The best station wagon in the market
By Monded on 06/12/05 08:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car performs very well under any condition. Its contemporary European design is a plus. The interior is well thought out, elegant and quiet. Gas mileage is outstanding. The engine delivers its full power when needed and it's fun to drive, both in city traffic and on highways. I've had this car for years and I still find it very enjoyable and reliable. It's built to last. Visibility when driving is great. This station wagon handles curves very well even at higher speeds. It's probably the best compact station wagon in the market today.